Calculating Energy Lost Due to Friction in Incline Pulling Scenario

In summary, a crate of mass 11.0 kg is pulled up a rough incline with an initial speed of 1.50 m/s. The pulling force is 100 N parallel to the incline, which makes an angle of 16.5° with the horizontal. The coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.400, and the crate is pulled 5.65 m. To find the mechanical energy lost due to friction, the formula F-f is used, where f is the kinetic friction and F is the pulling force. The normal force is calculated using mgcos16.5 and the kinetic friction is calculated as 0.400 times the normal force. The energy lost due to friction is then
BunDa4Th
A crate of mass 11.0 kg is pulled up a rough incline with an initial speed of 1.50 m/s. The pulling force is 100 N parallel to the incline, which makes an angle of 16.5° with the horizontal. The coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.400, and the crate is pulled 5.65 m.

(b) How much mechanical energy is lost due to friction?

well, this is what i came up with

to find the energy lost i thought F - f

so to find f = u_kN

N = (mgsin16.5)

f = .400(30.62)

f = 12.25

100 - 12.25 = 87.75 is incorrect

what am i doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
BunDa4Th said:
A crate of mass 11.0 kg is pulled up a rough incline with an initial speed of 1.50 m/s. The pulling force is 100 N parallel to the incline, which makes an angle of 16.5° with the horizontal. The coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.400, and the crate is pulled 5.65 m.

(b) How much mechanical energy is lost due to friction?

well, this is what i came up with

to find the energy lost i thought F - f

so to find f = u_kN

N = (mgsin16.5)

f = .400(30.62)

f = 12.25

100 - 12.25 = 87.75 is incorrect

what am i doing wrong?
You are forgetting the units. You are equating force to energy. The units of energy are force x distance.

The energy lost is the work added by the pulling force less the work done by the friction force.

AM

I don't understand what you mean. The teacher decided to skip most of the stuff on this chapter and basically i am learning this on my own and from the book i got to read which i don't understand from the reading.

Energy loss is simply Kinetic friction multiply by the distance travelled. To find kinetic friction, take coefficient of friction multiply by normal force acting on the block. Is the answer 23.8J? I'm not sure if I'm right also.

that answer is incorrect.

work done by gravity is -172.99

Last edited:
wat is the answer?

the book doesn't give an answer because its an even # problem, which doesn't help me at all since i can't use any other answer to figure this one out since this is the only problem in the book that ask this.

forgot to mention this is also on an online homework I have that is how I know i been getting the wrong answer.

oh yea i mention work done by gravity because that was the first part of the problem i needed to find and thought maybe i need to use that somehow.

Last edited:
then how u know that ur answer is wrong?

oops. I've forgot to add in the gravitational field strength. Is the answer 233.8J?

okay, that is the correct answer.

Can you explain how you get that?

wats the value for g?

is g = -9.8?

so 233.8J is right?

yea, that is the correct answer

Alright. Its just the same as how i do it in post #4. To find the energy lost due to friction, u need to take kinetic friction multiply by the distance travelled. The way u calculate normal force is wrong. It should be mgcos16.5 and not mgsin16.5. After calculating the kinetic friction, multiply it by the distance travelled, ie: 5.65 to solve for ur energy loss due to friction.

Dun get lost with the many values given in there. Just do what u need to do according to the formulas. Some of the values in the question are just there to mislead you. You dun necessarily have to use them all everytime. Cheers!

ahhhhh...thanks so much. yea those other number were just there and i thought okay those number have to be there for a reason.

not a problem.

1. What is friction and how does it affect energy?

Friction is a force that resists motion between two surfaces in contact. It converts kinetic energy into thermal energy, reducing the overall energy of a system.

2. Why is energy lost due to friction?

Energy is lost due to friction because the two surfaces in contact rub against each other, creating heat. This heat energy is dissipated into the environment, resulting in a loss of overall energy.

3. How does the amount of friction affect the amount of energy lost?

The amount of friction directly affects the amount of energy lost. The greater the friction between two surfaces, the more energy will be converted into heat and lost from the system.

4. Can we reduce the amount of energy lost due to friction?

We can reduce the amount of energy lost due to friction by using lubricants between surfaces, which can decrease the amount of friction and therefore reduce the amount of energy converted into heat.

5. What are some real-world examples of energy lost due to friction?

Some examples of energy lost due to friction include the heat generated when rubbing your hands together, the wear and tear on car brakes, and the energy lost when a ball rolls across a rough surface.