Calculating Acceleration on a Slope with Friction Coefficients

In summary: I get 45.5 m/s/s.In summary, when a 2.0 kg brick is dragged up a 22 degree slope by a 20kg sled with a rope parallel to the slope, with a tension of 1000 N, the predicted acceleration for the brick is 0.8 m/s/s and the sled is 45.5 m/s/s using the teacher's method. The brick's friction coefficient is 0.30 and the sled's is 0.15. When calculating the acceleration for the brick, the force of friction and the force directed down the slope must be considered. For the sled, the force of friction, the force directed down the slope, and the force of gravity must be
Fusilli_Jerry89
a 2.0 kg brick rides on a 20kg sled and is dragged upa22 degree slope by a rope witha tension of 1000 N. Theropeis parallel totheslope. The friction coefficient(both static and kinetic) between the brick and sled is 0.30 and between the sled and the ground is 0.15. Predict each mass's acceleration. I got 0.8 m/s/s for thebrick which I'm sure is right, and for the sled sled I got 40 m/s but the teacher says it is 45 m/s/s.

Teacher's method:
1000-20(9.8)sin22-0.15(22)(9.8)sin22-5.4=20a
a=45.5m/s/s

My method:
1000-81-30-5.4=22a
a=40m/s/s

Physics news on Phys.org
Fusilli_Jerry89 said:
Teacher's method:
1000-20(9.8)sin22-0.15(22)(9.8)sin22-5.4=20a
a=45.5m/s/s

My method:
1000-81-30-5.4=22a
a=40m/s/s
Since you realize that the brick and sled do not accelerate together, why do you use the total mass in your equation?

(FYI: Getting useful help will be easier if you post your work using symbols, not just numbers.)

well doesn't the brick on top add to the force of gravity, which in turn would increase the force of friction and the other force which directs down the slope?

Fusilli_Jerry89 said:
well doesn't the brick on top add to the force of gravity, which in turn would increase the force of friction and the other force which directs down the slope?
You need to look at the sled and the brick separately and consider all the forces acting on each object. Draw a free body diagram for each of them. Correct the things highlighted by Doc Al

In your last equation, the mass that multiplies a is just the mass of the sled, not the mass of sled plus brick. In your "81" you have included a force that is acting only on the brick as if it were acting on the sled.

The teacher's method is correct, but the numerical value seems a bit off.

I'd like to see how you calculated the 0.8m/s^2 acceleration of the brick. It would be interesting to calculate the total force acting on the brick if the sled were not moving.

Last edited:
For the brick: 0.30(19.6)cos22-19.6sin22=2a

Fusilli_Jerry89 said:
For the brick: 0.30(19.6)cos22-19.6sin22=2a
Looks good. How did you get 0.8 m/s^2 from that?

where does the 5.4 come from?

gunblaze said:
where does the 5.4 come from?
from 0.30(19.6)cos22 which is friction

shouldn't it be this for the sled:

1000-20(9.8)sin22-0.15(22)(9.8)cos22-5.4=20a
a=52.6m/s/s?
So the teacher is wrong?

Fusilli_Jerry89 said:
shouldn't it be this for the sled:

1000-20(9.8)sin22-0.15(22)(9.8)cos22-5.4=20a
This looks right.
a=52.6m/s/s?
Check your arithmetic.

What is the "Slope Friction Problem"?

The "Slope Friction Problem" refers to the challenge of measuring and predicting how much friction will occur between two surfaces on a slope when an object is placed on it. This is important in many fields, such as engineering and physics, as it can affect the stability and movement of objects on slopes.

Why is the "Slope Friction Problem" important?

Understanding and accurately predicting the amount of friction on a slope is crucial in many fields, such as building and construction, transportation, and sports. It can impact the safety, efficiency, and success of various projects and activities.

What factors affect the amount of friction on a slope?

Several factors can influence the amount of friction on a slope. These include the roughness of the surfaces in contact, the weight of the object, the angle of the slope, and any external forces or conditions, such as wind or moisture.

How can the "Slope Friction Problem" be solved?

The "Slope Friction Problem" can be solved through various methods, such as mathematical equations, experiments, and simulations. These approaches can help determine the coefficient of friction between the surfaces and calculate the resulting force and movement of the object on the slope.

What are some real-world applications of the "Slope Friction Problem"?

The "Slope Friction Problem" has numerous real-world applications, including designing and building structures on slopes, predicting the movement of objects on hilly roads, and improving the performance of athletes in sports such as skiing and skateboarding. It is also important in landslide and avalanche prevention and mitigation efforts.