Register to reply

Finding the differential of the function

by loadsy
Tags: differential, function
Share this thread:
loadsy
Oct28-06, 02:43 PM
P: 57
We just finished linear approximations and differentials in our course and was hoping I could get some feedback on this question of mine. The following question I have is asking to find the differential of the function:

y= cos(pi)x

We know from the formula

dy = f'(x)*dx

However, we are supposed to use our product rule here to determine the derivative of cos(pi)x.

I came up with -(pi)sin(pi)x but I'm not sure how to solve from that using the rule. The rest is fairly straight forward because it's just putting it back into the formula. Thanks guys for any help.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Flapping baby birds give clues to origin of flight
Prions can trigger 'stuck' wine fermentations, researchers find
Socially-assistive robots help kids with autism learn by providing personalized prompts
courtrigrad
Oct28-06, 03:13 PM
P: 1,236
[tex] y = \cos(\pi) x [/tex]

[tex] \frac{dy}{dx} = \cos (\pi) [/tex]

[tex] y = \cos(\pi x) [/tex]

[tex] \frac{dy}{dx} = -\pi \sin \pi x [/tex]. You are using the chain rule.

[tex] dy = -\pi \sin \pi x \ dx [/tex]
Euclid
Oct28-06, 03:17 PM
P: 214
I think loadsy means cos(pi x).

GoldPheonix
Oct28-06, 03:22 PM
P: 86
Finding the differential of the function

In which case it would simply be:

y = cos(pi*x)
dy/dx = -pi*sin(pi*x)

Differential form would be:

dy = -pi*sin(pi*x)*dx

Forget formulas like that. Just remember to multiply both sides by dx after taking the derivative of the function.
loadsy
Oct28-06, 03:24 PM
Actually it's just written as y = cos pi x. Which I think is basically the same as [tex] y = \cos\pi x [/tex]

But I understand what you are saying anyways. :D
GoldPheonix
Oct28-06, 03:27 PM
P: 86
Yeah, so go with my answer.
loadsy
Oct28-06, 03:32 PM
Gotcha! Alright thanks for the help guys. The question was easier than I made it out to be.
loadsy
Oct28-06, 04:00 PM
Alright I hope you guys don't mind, I just have another question to ask you, but it should go by fast because I know the steps in solving it anyways.

This is under the "Mean Value Theorem" section, and asks:

Verify that the function satisfies the hypotheses of the Mean Value Theorem on the given interval. Then find all numbers cs that satisfy the conclusion of the Mean Value Theorem.

f(x) = x / x+2 [1,4]

We know the following:

f(x) is differentiable on (1,4) and that (1,4) is part of domain of definition of f'(x).
f(x) is continuous on [1,4] because it is a rational function.

Then we have to solve for f'(x) which I found to be:

f'(x) = x+2*1 - x*2 / (x+2)^2 = -2x / (x+2) but I'm not sure if this is the right derivative for this case. Once I have that the rest I can do to solve for c.

Because from there you'd solve using the formula f'c = f(4)-f(1) / 4-1 = 1/9 after finding out:
f(4) = 4/4+2 = 2/3 and f(1) = 1/1+2 = 1/3

So in summation: all I'm looking to find the answer of, is the derivative of x / x+2

Register to reply