Learn About Refraction of Light Experiment

In summary, we learned about the refraction of light at school, and did an experiment with a semi circle plexi glass. When we shone a ray of light at the plexiglass at different angles to find out the different angles of refraction, we found that the numbers were constant (all 1.5). When we had the semicircle plexiglass upside down, meaning curved part pointing downwards, and shone a light through the centre to the straight side of the glass, our refracted rays went toward the normal. When the ratio sine of incident rays and sine of refracted rays were done, we found out that the numbers were constant (all 1.5) and i think this showed the index of
jnimagine
We are learning about refraction of light at school
and we did an experiment with a semi circle plexi glass
We shone a ray of light at the plexiglass at different angles to find out the different angles of refraction.
When we had the semicircle plexiglass upside down, meaning curved part pointing downwards, and shone a light through the centre to the straight side of the glass, our refracted rays went toward the normal. When the ratio sine of incident rays and sine of refracted rays were done, we found out that the numbers were constant( all 1.5) and i think this showed the index of refraction of the second medium. am i right?
and then we put the semicircle right side up, meaning curved part facing up, and shone a light throught the centre to the curved edges, the refracted rays moved away from the normal. When the ratio of sine of incident rays and sine of refracted rays were taken, the numbers were constant with 0.67. Does this just represent n2 / n1? so index of air / index of glass? (1.00029/1.5)??
and also at 42 degrees, the refracted rays were at 90 degrees and after that all the bigger angles of incident rays got reflected.
So my question is what is the significance of the number 0.67 and what is its relation to the first part of the experiment where i got the number 1.5?
... i have to answer these two questions in two sentences...- -;;

Physics news on Phys.org
jnimagine said:
We are learning about refraction of light at school
and we did an experiment with a semi circle plexi glass
We shone a ray of light at the plexiglass at different angles to find out the different angles of refraction.
When we had the semicircle plexiglass upside down, meaning curved part pointing downwards, and shone a light through the centre to the straight side of the glass, our refracted rays went toward the normal. When the ratio sine of incident rays and sine of refracted rays were done, we found out that the numbers were constant( all 1.5) and i think this showed the index of refraction of the second medium. am i right?
and then we put the semicircle right side up, meaning curved part facing up, and shone a light throught the centre to the curved edges, the refracted rays moved away from the normal. When the ratio of sine of incident rays and sine of refracted rays were taken, the numbers were constant with 0.67. Does this just represent n2 / n1? so index of air / index of glass? (1.00029/1.5)??
and also at 42 degrees, the refracted rays were at 90 degrees and after that all the bigger angles of incident rays got reflected.
So my question is what is the significance of the number 0.67 and what is its relation to the first part of the experiment where i got the number 1.5?
... i have to answer these two questions in two sentences...- -;;

Remember that [itex]\frac{2}{3}=0.67[/itex] and its inverse [itex]\frac{3}{2}=1.5[/itex].

geoffjb said:
Remember that [itex]\frac{2}{3}=0.67[/itex] and its inverse [itex]\frac{3}{2}=1.5[/itex].

so is that the relationship betweent the two?
their index of refraction are reciprocals of each other?

Question

:confused: Well I am doing a science fair experimenent on index of refraction, and I really want an answer to this very fast, my deadline is next week.

Anyway,
I want to know how can I measure the index of refraction with a laser, I will be using a semi -circle to do this project. The point of this experiement, is to find the index of refraction of water, with a laser using the semi circle.
What is the equation that I will be using in order to find the index of refraction of water with a semi circle?

I will also be testing different concentrations of sugar, 5%-30%.
All I want to know is what procedure can I follow to find the index of refraction for plain water, and of course the same steps will be used for finding it for water with different concentration of sugar.

Thank you
Please answer as soon as possible!

1. What is the purpose of the "Learn About Refraction of Light Experiment"?

The purpose of this experiment is to observe and understand how light behaves when it passes through different mediums, such as water or glass. It helps to demonstrate the concept of refraction, which is the bending of light as it travels from one medium to another.

2. What materials are needed for the experiment?

The materials needed for this experiment include a clear glass or plastic container, water, a pencil or straw, and a small object, such as a coin or pencil eraser. Optional materials include a flashlight or laser pointer.

3. How do you conduct the experiment?

To conduct the experiment, fill the clear container with water and place it on a flat surface. Place the object at the bottom of the container and position yourself so that you can see the object through the side of the container. Insert the pencil or straw into the water at an angle, and observe the object as you move the pencil or straw back and forth.

4. What will the results of the experiment demonstrate?

The results of the experiment will demonstrate the bending of light as it passes through the water. This is due to the change in speed of light as it travels from air to water, causing it to change direction. This is known as refraction.

5. What are some real-life applications of refraction of light?

Refraction of light has many real-life applications, such as in the lenses of eyeglasses, microscopes, and telescopes. It also plays a crucial role in the formation of rainbows, mirages, and other natural phenomena. Understanding refraction is also essential in industries such as optics, photography, and medicine.