by Paleo-Conservative
Tags: genetic, thing
Share this thread:
Evo
Apr29-04, 06:21 PM
Mentor
P: 26,661
Quote Quote by Nereid
I wonder whether BlackVision has any relationship to Nachtwolf?
I was thinking the same thing!
Concept
Apr29-04, 06:32 PM
P: 18
I like how BV just totally ignored my post.
Evo
Apr29-04, 06:36 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by BlackVision
80 years of scientific consistent scientific research is quite hard to refute. Which is why it's yet to succesfully be done.

Read what I posted about the Pioneer Fund again. And once again, where one get his research money is a weak argument. You wanna refute a research, you refute it's facts, it's data, it's statistics, it's conclusions. If this is your primarily focus, there is no debate.
Hmmm, here is my opening statement "Bouchard's study is not considered to have valid scientific merit due to the lack of peer review, among other things." Bouchard's statistics, data and conclusions have all been questioned and Bouchard has failed to provide documentation (which he promised) which could validate his study.

My article on IQ heritability WAS from the Washington Post. YOU were stating that my sources were tainted.
WRONG. You really cannot read, can you? Here it is again, so you may read it. Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackVision
Source: http://www.mugu.com/cgi-bin/Upstrea...hard-twins.html

Your source is a racist/eugenics website. Super. As a matter of fact, all of your links contain publications by known racists/eugenicists and many have connections to the Pioneer Fund. Phillipe Rushton is currently president of the Pioneer Fund. If you had reading comprehension skills, you would note first that I was refering to the source of the mugu.com website and the rest of the LINKS you posted. I never referred to your post.

Right cause simply using fundamental mainstream science on a taboo subject makes it racist. All scientists I'm sure will agree that Siamese cats are the smartest cat. Perhaps these scientists are cat racists against other cats too aye.
Getting silly now?

It couldn't simply have to do with using science or finding the truth huh. The fact remains, concluding 2 groups above your own DOES NOT make one a racist.
I never said it did. It's all the other facts that make them racists.

So the only way that someone isn't racist is if they perfectly agree with you on racial matters? Oh that's just great. Forget science. Forget research. Let's just create happy answers to live in our oh so delusional politically correct world where feelings have become more important than the pursuit of truth, the pursuit of science.
It is about the science, and VALID research, not the skewed and biased "studies" that you post.

Would you like the facts about the study that concluded that whites and Asians had larger brain sizes? Oh please ask me to post it.
BlackVision
Apr29-04, 06:58 PM
P: 424
Quote Quote by Evo
Hmmm, here is my opening statement "Bouchard's study is not considered to have valid scientific merit due to the lack of peer review, among other things." Bouchard's statistics, data and conclusions have all been questioned and Bouchard has failed to provide documentation (which he promised) which could validate his study.
Again 80 years of research by psychologists. This isn't one study. These are hundreds of studies done for the past 80 years. Ever since IQ tests have been invented. Quit singling out one single person.

Quote Quote by Evo
WRONG. You really cannot read, can you? Here it is again, so you may read it. Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackVision
Source: http://www.mugu.com/cgi-bin/Upstrea...hard-twins.html
Wow YOU can't read can you? Let me repost my first source.

"These statistics have shown that on average, identical twins tend to be around 80 percent the same in everything from stature to health to IQ to political views. The similarities are partly the product of similar upbringing. But evidence from the comparison of twins raised apart points rather convincingly to genes as the source of a lot of that likeness."

"identical twins are roughly 85 percent similar for IQ, fraternal twins about 60 percent."

Source: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-sr...wins/twins2.htm

Your source is a racist/eugenics website. Super. As a matter of fact, all of your links contain publications by known racists/eugenicists and many have connections to the Pioneer Fund. Phillipe Rushton is currently president of the Pioneer Fund. If you had reading comprehension skills, you would note first that I was refering to the source of the mugu.com website and the rest of the LINKS you posted. I never referred to your post.
And these sites make it racist? How? Cause it doesn't agree with your illogical state of mind? But want me to post the article from "Wall Street Journal" Here. I'd like to you try and attempt and say Wall Street Journal is racist.

Mainstream Science on Intelligence
The Wall Street Journal
December 13, 1994

Since the publication of "The Bell Curve," many commentators have offered
opinions about human intelligence that misstate current scientific evidence.
Some conclusions dismissed in the media as discredited are actually firmly
supported.

This statement outlines conclusions regarded as mainstream among researchers
on intelligence, in particular, on the nature, origins, and practical
consequences of individual and group differences in intelligence. Its aim is
to promote more reasoned discussion of the vexing phenomenon that the
research has revealed in recent decades. The following conclusions are fully
described in the major textbooks, professional journals and encyclopedias in
intelligence.

The Meaning and Measurement of Intelligence

1. Intelligence is a very general mental capability that, among other
things, involves the ability to reason, plan, solve problems, think
abstractly, comprehend complex ideas, learn quickly and learn from
experience. It is not merely book learning, a narrow academic skill, or
test-taking smarts. Rather, it reflects a broader and deeper capability
for comprehending our surroundings--"catching on," "making sense" of
things, or "figuring out" what to do.

2. Intelligence, so defined, can be measured, and intelligence tests
measure it well. They are among the most accurate (in technical terms,
reliable and valid) of all psychological tests and assessments. They do
not measure creativity, character personality, or other important
differences among individuals, nor are they intended to.

3. While there are different types of intelligence tests, they all measure
the same intelligence. Some use words or numbers and require specific
cultural knowledge (like vocabulary). Others do not, and instead use
shapes or designs and require knowledge of only simple, universal
concepts (many/few, open/closed, up/down).

4. The spread of people along the IQ continuum, from low to high, can be
represented well by the bell curve (in statistical jargon, the "normal
curve"). Most people cluster around the average (IQ 100). Few are
either very bright or very dull: About 3% of Americans score above IQ
130 (often considered the threshold for "giftedness"), with about the
same percentage below IQ 70 (IQ 70-75 often being considered the
threshold for mental retardation).

5. Intelligence tests are not culturally biased against American blacks or
other native-born, English-speaking peoples in the U.S. Rather, IQ
scores predict equally accurately for all such Americans, regardless of
race and social class. Individuals who do not understand English well
can be given either a nonverbal test or one in their native language.

6. The brain processes underlying intelligence are still little
understood. Current research looks, for example, at speed of neural
transmission, glucose (energy) uptake, and electrical activity of the
brain, uptake, and electrical activity of the brain.

Group Differences

7. Members of all racial-ethnic groups can be found at every IQ level. The
bell curves of different groups overlap considerably, but groups often
differ in where their members tend to cluster along the IQ line. The
bell curves for some groups (Jews and East Asians) are centered
somewhat higher than for whites in general. Other groups (blacks and
Hispanics) ale centered somewhat lower than non-Hispanic whites.

8. The bell curve for whites is centered roughly around IQ 100; the bell
curve for American blacks roughly around 85; and those for different
subgroups of Hispanics roughly midway between those for whites and
blacks. The evidence is less definitive for exactly where above IQ 100
the bell curves for Jews and Asians are centered.

Getting silly now?
No I would say you are.

Point out these "facts" No more Pioneer Fund either.

It is about the science, and VALID research, not the skewed and biased "studies" that you post.
Alright if you're honestly about the science, let's try this with a open mind. Would you be willing to accept that thousands of years of evolution in various locations in the world, has allowed slight differences in various abilities of both mental and physical characteristics of the human races. I'm not exactly referring to IQ or the Bell Curve, but would you be willing to conclude that some variation exists in between races in both physical and mental characteristics.

Would you like the facts about the study that concluded that whites and Asians had larger brain sizes? Oh please ask me to post it.
Post if you wish.
BlackVision
Apr29-04, 07:08 PM
Quote Quote by Concept
I like how BV just totally ignored my post.
Would you like to me to copy and paste my previous responses?

The world purpose of an IQ test is be culturally unbias. It's by definition suppose to measure natural intelligence. If it was bias toward higher education, toward a culture, that would defeat the whole purpose of IQ test now wouldn't it? And would be considered invalid by all psychologists. Since psychologists and geneticists alike seem overwhelmingly in support of such tests, the validity of such tests are strongly upheld.

Especially matrices IQ test. Let me show you what a matrix IQ test looks like.

http://nicologic.free.fr/MatrixA.htm

You honestly think education would have any major impact on your ability to take this test?
BlackVision
Apr29-04, 07:18 PM
Quote Quote by Concept
how do these statements not make sense?

and studies do consistently show that changes in enviorment with the specific intent to improve ones conditions can raise IQ.

http://www.biomedcentral.com/news/20040303/01
Ok would you like to point out where in this article it even mentions IQ?

Power law governs gene expression
Proportional dynamics illustrates commonality of gene expression levels in all organisms | By Cathy Holding

With an ever-increasing number of genomes available for analysis, there has been a shift in emphasis away from the study of single genes and a greater attempt to understand gene expression at the network or systems level. A report in the March 1 PNAS shows that power laws—a universal mathematical dynamic—govern the process.

Hiroki Ueda and colleagues at the Center for Developmental Biology describe the mathematical principle underlying observed levels of gene expression. They used information from public databases of whole genome sequences and from their own microarray analyses. Proportional dynamics, also known as “rich-travel-more,” showed that power law levels of gene expression were observed not only in different organisms, but also within discrete organs or at specific developmental times in the same organism (PNAS, DOI:10.1073/pnas.0306244101, March 1, 2004).

The team examined how genes change their expression in different conditions and observed that highly expressed genes change more, while genes expressed infrequently change less. “It's proportional; the magnitude of change[s] are proportional to their expression levels,” said Ueda. “I also found [that] proportional dynamics can reproduce the complex pattern of distribution in gene expression levels—called power law distribution.”

Ueda said he was surprised to find Escherichia coli and humans are governed by the same simple mechanism. “I am glad to have found a simple and universal mechanism that exists in all systems of life,” he told The Scientist.

Plotting the distribution of different gene expression levels against the expression hierarchy of those genes results in a straight line. “I unexpectedly found that distribution[s] of gene expression were heterogeneous and governed by the power law of minus 2 exponent,” he told The Scientist in an E-mail.

Yutaka Suzuki, research scientist at the Institute of Medical Science Human Genome Center explained, “In every case, you can see the straight line in the scattering plot. The basic concept is that such a kind of law is conserved between cell types and organisms in many kinds of context.”

Suzuki, who was not involved in the study, explained that it is the ratio of minus 2 that is conserved. “That's the universal observation, that's the point of this manuscript,” he said.

Lada Adamic, a power law expert in the Information Dynamics Laboratory at Hewlett-Packard, told The Scientist that although she was not a biologist, she would almost expect this observation because these distributions are extremely common. “As long as you have like a multiplicative process—which is what this is, this proportional process—you're going to end up with a distribution like that,” she said.

Adamic, who was not involved in the study, said that the same distribution was actually observed by Yule in 1913 when he was looking at the abundance of species in different genera. “So that's kind of like a biological thing,” she said. “The problem with power laws is that people keep kind of rediscovering them.”

“I myself have heard that this behavior of a system is very universal, [but] this is the first groundwork for this kind of analysis as I believe it. For biological systems, this is a first, so in that sense at least I think this is significant,” Suzuki said.

Ueda said that in the future, statistical analysis utilizing this “proportional” dynamics would be useful for the analysis of microarray data in any organism. “Statistical analysis based on “proportional” dynamics can be applied to the search for the significantly changed genes in two conditions,” he said in an E-mail. “We are preparing the manuscript on this type of application.”
Evo
Apr29-04, 07:26 PM
Mentor
Again 80 years of research by psychologists. This isn't one study. These are hundreds of studies done for the past 80 years. Ever since IQ tests have been invented. Quit singling out one single person.
You were the one that posted Bouchard as an impeccable source, not me. I was responding to your piece on him. Why do you keep bringing up other things you have posted that I did not respond to?

[QUOTE=BlackVision]Wow YOU can't read can you? Let me repost my first source.

"These statistics have shown that on average, identical twins tend to be around 80 percent the same in everything from stature to health to IQ to political views. The similarities are partly the product of similar upbringing. But evidence from the comparison of twins raised apart points rather convincingly to genes as the source of a lot of that likeness."

"identical twins are roughly 85 percent similar for IQ, fraternal twins about 60 percent."

Source: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-sr...wins/twins2.htm[/QUOTE'You are a DIM bulb. I did not post anything concerning this. If you say that it rains daily in the Sahara, and I reply saying "no, that's not correct", why would you then keep saying "but it snows in Iceland". I'm not discussing Iceland, I'm discussing the Sahara. Understand?

And these sites make it racist? How? Cause it doesn't agree with your illogical state of mind? But want me to post the article from "Wall Street Journal" Here. I'd like to you try and attempt and say Wall Street Journal is racist.
What are you rambling about? You think something is true just because of where something is repeated? Are you really that naive?

Quote Quote by Evo
Point out these "facts" No more Pioneer Fund either.
I will gladly point them out. I will do so later tonight when I have a bit more time. Sorry, the Pioneer Fund is closely tied to and in many cases responsible for the studies you hold as the truth. There is no way to exclude them.

Alright if you're honestly about the science, let's try this with a open mind. Would you be willing to accept that thousands of years of evolution in various locations in the world, has allowed slight differences in various abilities of both mental and physical characteristics of the human races. I'm not exactly referring to IQ or the Bell Curve, but would you be willing to conclude that some variation exists in between races in both physical and mental characteristics.
I agree that there are physical differences caused by climate, nutrition, etc... I do not agree that there are mental differences.

Post if you wish.
The study are you referring to that shows that Asians have larger size brains than Africans is the unscientific, biased & debunked study by Rushton, that won't fly.

Funny that the reason the African brain size was significantly smaller was due to the grossly disproportionate sampling of PYGMIES.

"This paper
contains the geographical means widely cited by Rushton, namely
that the mean cranial volume for 26 Asian societies was 1380 cc,
the mean volume for 10 European societies was 1362, and the mean
for 10 African societies was 1276. Notably, the African sample
contained 5 groups that are characterized by exceptionally small
body size (2 pygmy groups and 2 bushman groups). Indeed the Akka
pygmies (representing 1/10 of the whole African sample) had the
smallest cranial volume ever found in extant humans (1085 cc)."

http://www.anatomy.usyd.edu.au/dann...-1994/0088.html

All of you eugenicists have this tiny database of skewed information that you draw from. Do you have any idea how many times everything you have posted has previously been posted here and debunked?
Concept
Apr29-04, 07:43 PM
Would you like to me to copy and paste my previous responses?

The world purpose of an IQ test is be culturally unbias. It's by definition suppose to measure natural intelligence. If it was bias toward higher education, toward a culture, that would defeat the whole purpose of IQ test now wouldn't it? And would be considered invalid by all psychologists. Since psychologists and geneticists alike seem overwhelmingly in support of such tests, the validity of such tests are strongly upheld.

Especially matrices IQ test. Let me show you what a matrix IQ test looks like.

http://nicologic.free.fr/MatrixA.htm

You honestly think education would have any major impact on your ability to take this test?
then how exactly do you explain studies that consistently show that improving education and improving conditions increases IQ? Second of all, no one says IQ tests measure nothing. They were invented to indentify children who needed extra help, the person who created them specifically warned against an inherentist interpetation of the results. Third of all, implying the majority of psychologists agree that IQ is inherent is simply false. The existance of g is highly debatable, because it is merely one mathematical interpetation of IQ test results.

also, I posted the article because it talks about how enviornment influences gene expression. Thinking it doesn't influence IQ is a huge assumption.
BlackVision
Apr29-04, 07:46 PM
Quote Quote by Evo
You were the one that posted Bouchard as an impeccable source, not me. I was responding to your piece on him. Why do you keep bringing up other things you have posted that I did not respond to?
Cause YOU are the one fixating on him. Trying to remove credibility of 80 years of psychology research from one person. Do you think there aren't hundreds of others that did their own researches that didn't draw the same conclusion as he did? Again, what is your fixation with him?

What are you rambling about? You think something is true just because of where something is repeated? Are you really that naive?
Washington Post and Wall Street Journal are by no measures a racist propaganda news source. Nor would they ever attempt to advocate any racism. For them to run the stories, does show credibility.

I will gladly point them out. I will do so later tonight when I have a bit more time. Sorry, the Pioneer Fund is closely tied to and in many cases responsible for the studies you hold as the truth. There is no way to exclude them.
Perhaps focusing on refuting statistics and datas rather than where the money trail goes. Even if Hitler himself donated $10 million to fund the project, that itself certainly doesn't discredit any findings now does it.

I agree that there are physical differences caused by climate, nutrition, etc... I do not agree that there are mental differences.
See this is where PC mentality fails you and clouds your ability to use proper science. What makes you think nature is bias toward physical differences but doesn't lay a figure on mental attributes. Are you also gonna state there are no mental differences between one group of cats and other? One group of birds and another? One group of dogs and another? One group of fish and another?

Since when does mother nature ignore mental attributes. Since when does mental attributes become completely distanced from evolution. How does thousands of years of evolution not create even a single shred of mental differences? You may have to learn the basics of evolution first before we attempt to discuss this further.

Can you fix this link? It doesn't seem to work.

Do you have any idea how many times everything you have posted has previously been posted here and debunked?
Debunked? Really? Hmm. So nobody here shares the same viewpoint I have? Why do I find that hard to believe.
BlackVision
Apr29-04, 07:52 PM
Quote Quote by Concept
then how exactly do you explain studies that consistently show that improving education and improving conditions increases IQ? Second of all, no one says IQ tests measure nothing. They were invented to indentify children who needed extra help, the person who created them specifically warned against an inherentist interpetation of the results. Third of all, implying the majority of psychologists agree that IQ is inherent is simply false. The existance of g is highly debatable, because it is merely one mathematical interpetation of IQ test results.
IQ tests are approximately 70-80% genetic. I'm quite sure no one will say that it's completely genetic. That being said, better environments will have slight improvements in IQ. But by no means can someone jump from an IQ of 100 to an IQ of 130 regardless of environment. No environment in the world will give someone Einstein like IQ level. Genetics is the predominating factor.

also, I posted the article because it talks about how enviornment influences gene expression. Thinking it doesn't influence IQ is a huge assumption.
Well perhaps you need to find an article that directly relates to IQ. That would have far more weight.
Evo
Apr29-04, 08:01 PM
Mentor
Cause YOU are the one fixating on him. Trying to remove credibility of 80 years of psychology research from one person. Do you think there aren't hundreds of others that did their own researches that didn't draw the same conclusion as he did? Again, what is your fixation with him?
I'm not fixated, *you* are the one that keeps bringing him up and refuses to move on.

Can you fix this link? It doesn't seem to work.
Sorry, here it is. http://www.anatomy.usyd.edu.au/danny...1994/0088.html

Debunked? Really? Hmm. So nobody here shares the same viewpoint I have? Why do I find that hard to believe.
Yes, really. There is you, Nachtwolf & hitssquad.

I will respond to your other items when I return. Or maybe it would be better to just give you the other threads that already go over all of this in boring repetitive detail.
Evo
Apr29-04, 08:06 PM
Mentor
IQ tests are approximately 70-80% genetic.
Really? Please post the studies done that have proven this, I've somehow missed them in all my research on the subject.
Concept
Apr29-04, 08:31 PM
IQ tests are approximately 70-80% genetic. I'm quite sure no one will say that it's completely genetic. That being said, better environments will have slight improvements in IQ. But by no means can someone jump from an IQ of 100 to an IQ of 130 regardless of environment. No environment in the world will give someone Einstein like IQ level. Genetics is the predominating factor.
one of the sites YOU posted cites a study that says blacks adopted by white families don't show real IQ difference.

of course everybody has limits. Not everyone can be Einstein. People like that are extreme cases.
BlackVision
Apr29-04, 09:03 PM
Quote Quote by Evo
I'm not fixated, *you* are the one that keeps bringing him up and refuses to move on.
What the hell are you talking about? You're the one constantly trying to discredit 80 years of consistent psychology research by pointing out the "supposed" flaws of one guy.

This is your best source? Could of at least attempted to find a reliable source with doctors and bibliographical notes. What is this?

Also note that I never even brought up brain size so not sure why you brought it up. We were discussing IQ weren't we?

Yes, really. There is you, Nachtwolf & hitssquad.
How long have you been here? I'd been here for like a week and I'd read more support than just those 2. Simply naming the two most vocal ones doesn't mean those are the only ones.

The Bell Curve also has been widely accepted in the psychology world. Are there vocal opposers? Of course. For such a taboo subject it's expected. But it certainly has a wide area of support. Including black professors and academics.

I will respond to your other items when I return. Or maybe it would be better to just give you the other threads that already go over all of this in boring repetitive detail.
You think you've debated this a lot? You have any idea how much I have? You and I both know how it'll end up.
BlackVision
Apr29-04, 09:06 PM
Quote Quote by Evo
Really? Please post the studies done that have proven this, I've somehow missed them in all my research on the subject.
Seeing how there's probably well over 50,000 sources that will give you the 70% and 80% figures, I would say that it's quite substantiated. Did your bias just have a tendency to simply skip over each and every single one of them in your so called "researches"?
BlackVision
Apr29-04, 09:07 PM
Quote Quote by Concept
one of the sites YOU posted cites a study that says blacks adopted by white families don't show real IQ difference.
Such studies have shown slight IQ improvements but nothing drastic.
hitssquad
Apr30-04, 01:07 AM
P: 1,382
Quote Quote by Evo
Bouchard's study is not considered to have valid scientific merit due to the lack of peer review, among other things.
PubMed returns 47 citations for bouchard+tj+twin:

• 1: Johnson W, McGue M, Krueger RF, Bouchard TJ Jr.
    Marriage and personality: a genetic analysis.
    J Pers Soc Psychol. 2004 Feb;86(2):285-94.
    PMID: 14769084 [PubMed - in process]
    2: Krueger RF, Markon KE, Bouchard TJ Jr.
    The extended genotype: the heritability of personality accounts for the heritability of recalled family environments in twins reared apart.
    J Pers. 2003 Oct;71(5):809-33.
    PMID: 12932211
    3: Bouchard TJ Jr, McGue M.
    Genetic and environmental influences on human psychological differences.
    J Neurobiol. 2003 Jan;54(1):4-45. Review.
    PMID: 12486697
    4: Markon KE, Krueger RF, Bouchard TJ Jr, Gottesman II.
    Normal and abnormal personality traits: evidence for genetic and environmental relationships in the Minnesota Study of Twins Reared Apart.
    J Pers. 2002 Oct;70(5):661-93.
    PMID: 12322856
    5: Johnson W, Krueger RF, Bouchard TJ Jr, McGue M.
    The personalities of twins: just ordinary folks.
    Twin Res. 2002 Apr;5(2):125-31.
    PMID: 11931690
    6: Bouchard TJ Jr, Loehlin JC.
    Genes, evolution, and personality.
    Behav Genet. 2001 May;31(3):243-73. Review.
    PMID: 11699599
    7: Michalowicz BS, Pihlstrom BL, Hodges JS, Bouchard TJ Jr.
    No heritability of temporomandibular joint signs and symptoms.
    J Dent Res. 2000 Aug;79(8):1573-8.
    PMID: 11023277
    8: DiLalla DL, Gottesman II, Carey G, Bouchard TJ Jr.
    Heritability of MMPI Harris-Lingoes and Subtle-Obvious subscales in twins reared apart.
    Assessment. 1999 Dec;6(4):353-66.
    PMID: 10539982
    9: Bouchard TJ Jr, McGue M, Lykken D, Tellegen A.
    Intrinsic and extrinsic religiousness: genetic and environmental influences and personality correlates.
    Twin Res. 1999 Jun;2(2):88-98.
    PMID: 10480743
    10: Michalowicz BS, Wolff LF, Klump D, Hinrichs JE, Aeppli DM, Bouchard TJ Jr, Pihlstrom BL.
    Periodontal bacteria in adult twins.
    J Periodontol. 1999 Mar;70(3):263-73.
    PMID: 10225542
    11: Hur YM, Bouchard TJ Jr, Eckert E.
    Genetic and environmental influences on self-reported diet: a reared-apart twin study.
    Physiol Behav. 1998 Jul;64(5):629-36.
    PMID: 9817574
    12: Ziegler DK, Hur YM, Bouchard TJ Jr, Hassanein RS, Barter R.
    Migraine in twins raised together and apart.
    Headache. 1998 Jun;38(6):417-22.
    PMID: 9664744
    13: Newman DL, Tellegen A, Bouchard TJ Jr.
    Individual differences in adult ego development: sources of influence in twins reared apart.
    J Pers Soc Psychol. 1998 Apr;74(4):985-95.
    PMID: 9569654
    14: Bouchard TJ Jr.
    Genetic and environmental influences on adult intelligence and special mental abilities.
    Hum Biol. 1998 Apr;70(2):257-79. Review.
    PMID: 9549239
    15: McGue M, Bouchard TJ Jr.
    Genetic and environmental influences on human behavioral differences.
    Annu Rev Neurosci. 1998;21:1-24. Review.
    PMID: 9530489
    16: Bouchard TJ Jr, Hur YM.
    Genetic and environmental influences on the continuous scales of the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator: an analysis based on twins reared apart.
    J Pers. 1998 Apr;66(2):135-49.
    PMID: 9529660
    17: Hur YM, Bouchard TJ Jr.
    The genetic correlation between impulsivity and sensation seeking traits.
    Behav Genet. 1997 Sep;27(5):455-63.
    PMID: 9336082
    18: Bouchard TJ Jr.
    Experience Producing Drive Theory: how genes drive experience and shape personality.
    Acta Paediatr Suppl. 1997 Jul;422:60-4. Review.
    PMID: 9298795
    19: Fox PW, Hershberger SL, Bouchard TJ Jr.
    Genetic and environmental contributions to the acquisition of a motor skill.
    Nature. 1996 Nov 28;384(6607):356-8.
    PMID: 8934520
    20: DiLalla DL, Carey G, Gottesman II, Bouchard TJ Jr.
    Heritability of MMPI personality indicators of psychopathology in twins reared apart.
    J Abnorm Psychol. 1996 Nov;105(4):491-9.
    PMID: 8952182
    21: Hur YM, Bouchard TJ Jr.
    Genetic influences on perceptions of childhood family environment: a reared apart twin study.
    Child Dev. 1995 Apr;66(2):330-45.
    PMID: 7750369
    22: Bouchard TJ Jr.
    Genes, environment, and personality.
    Science. 1994 Jun 17;264(5166):1700-1. Review. No abstract available.
    PMID: 8209250
    23: Conry JP, Messer LB, Boraas JC, Aeppli DP, Bouchard TJ Jr.
    Dental caries and treatment characteristics in human twins reared apart.
    Arch Oral Biol. 1993 Nov;38(11):937-43.
    PMID: 8297257
    24: Lykken DT, Bouchard TJ Jr, McGue M, Tellegen A.
    Heritability of interests: a twin study.
    J Appl Psychol. 1993 Aug;78(4):649-61.
    PMID: 8407707
    25: Segal NL, Bouchard TJ Jr.
    Grief intensity following the loss of a twin and other relatives: test of kinship genetic hypotheses.
    Hum Biol. 1993 Feb;65(1):87-105. Erratum in: Hum Biol 1993 Apr;65(2):following 336.
    PMID: 8436394
    26: Lykken DT, McGue M, Tellegen A, Bouchard TJ Jr.
    Emergenesis. Genetic traits that may not run in families.
    Am Psychol. 1992 Dec;47(12):1565-77.
    PMID: 1476327
    27: Michalowicz BS, Aeppli DP, Kuba RK, Bereuter JE, Conry JP, Segal NL, Bouchard TJ Jr, Pihlstrom BL.
    A twin study of genetic variation in proportional radiographic alveolar bone height.
    J Dent Res. 1991 Nov;70(11):1431-5.
    PMID: 1960253
    28: Michalowicz BS, Aeppli D, Virag JG, Klump DG, Hinrichs JE, Segal NL, Bouchard TJ Jr, Pihlstrom BL.
    Periodontal findings in adult twins.
    J Periodontol. 1991 May;62(5):293-9.
    PMID: 2072240
    29: Hanson B, McGue M, Roitman-Johnson B, Segal NL, Bouchard TJ Jr, Blumenthal MN.
    Atopic disease and immunoglobulin E in twins reared apart and together.
    Am J Hum Genet. 1991 May;48(5):873-9.
    PMID: 2018039
    30: Bouchard TJ, Lykken DT, McGue M, Segal N, Tellegen A.
    When kin correlations are not squared.
    Science. 1990 Dec 14;250(4987):1498. No abstract available.
    PMID: 2274774
    31: Bouchard TJ Jr, Lykken DT, McGue M, Segal NL, Tellegen A.
    Sources of human psychological differences: the Minnesota Study of Twins Reared Apart.
    Science. 1990 Oct 12;250(4978):223-8.
    PMID: 2218526
    32: Lykken DT, McGue M, Bouchard TJ Jr, Tellegen A.
    Does contact lead to similarity or similarity to contact?
    Behav Genet. 1990 Sep;20(5):547-61.
    PMID: 2288545
    33: Grove WM, Eckert ED, Heston L, Bouchard TJ Jr, Segal N, Lykken DT.
    Heritability of substance abuse and antisocial behavior: a study of monozygotic twins reared apart.
    Biol Psychiatry. 1990 Jun 15;27(12):1293-304.
    PMID: 2364118
    34: Lykken DT, Bouchard TJ Jr, McGue M, Tellegen A.
    The Minnesota Twin Family Registry: some initial findings.
    Acta Genet Med Gemellol (Roma). 1990;39(1):35-70.
    PMID: 2392892
    35: Bouchard TJ Jr, Segal NL, Lykken DT.
    Genetic and environmental influences on special mental abilities in a sample of twins reared apart.
    Acta Genet Med Gemellol (Roma). 1990;39(2):193-206.
    PMID: 2239105
    36: Tellegen A, Lykken DT, Bouchard TJ Jr, Wilcox KJ, Segal NL, Rich S.
    Personality similarity in twins reared apart and together.
    J Pers Soc Psychol. 1988 Jun;54(6):1031-9.
    PMID: 3397862
    37: Lykken DT, Iacono WG, Haroian K, McGue M, Bouchard TJ Jr.
    Habituation of the skin conductance response to strong stimuli: a twin study.
    Psychophysiology. 1988 Jan;25(1):4-15. No abstract available.
    PMID: 3353484
    38: Eckert ED, Bouchard TJ, Bohlen J, Heston LL.
    Homosexuality in monozygotic twins reared apart.
    Br J Psychiatry. 1986 Apr;148:421-5.
    PMID: 3730708
    39: Kohler PF, Rivera VJ, Eckert ED, Bouchard TJ Jr, Heston LL.
    Genetic regulation of immunoglobulin and specific antibody levels in twins reared apart.
    J Clin Invest. 1985 Mar;75(3):883-8.
    PMID: 4038983
    40: Knobloch WH, Leavenworth NM, Bouchard TJ, Eckert ED.
    Eye findings in twins reared apart.
    Ophthalmic Paediatr Genet. 1985 Feb;5(1-2):59-66.
    PMID: 4058873
    41: McGue M, Bouchard TJ Jr.
    Adjustment of twin data for the effects of age and sex.
    Behav Genet. 1984 Jul;14(4):325-43. No abstract available.
    PMID: 6542356
    42: Segal NL, Bouchard TJ Jr.
    Zygosity diagnosis of twins in medical research.
    Arch Intern Med. 1984 Jul;144(7):1505, 1509. No abstract available.
    PMID: 6539582
    43: Hanson BR, Halberg F, Tuna N, Bouchard TJ Jr, Lykken DT, Cornelissen G, Heston LL.
    Rhythmometry reveals heritability of circadian characteristics of heart rate of human twins reared apart.
    Cardiologia. 1984 May-Jun;29(5-6):267-82. No abstract available.
    PMID: 6542411
    44: Bouchard TJ Jr, McGue M.
    Familial studies of intelligence: a review.
    Science. 1981 May 29;212(4498):1055-9.
    PMID: 7195071
    45: Bouchard TJ Jr, Heston L, Eckert E, Keyes M, Resnick S.
    The Minnesota study of twins reared apart: project description and sample results in the developmental domain.
    Prog Clin Biol Res. 1981;69 Pt B:227-33. No abstract available.
    PMID: 7199166
    46: Bouchard TJ Jr.
    The study of mental ability using twin and adoption designs.
    Prog Clin Biol Res. 1981;69 Pt B:21-3. No abstract available.
    PMID: 7199164
    47: Eckert ED, Heston LL, Bouchard TJ Jr.
    MZ twins reared apart: preliminary findings of psychiatric disturbances and traits.
    Prog Clin Biol Res. 1981;69 Pt B:179-88. No abstract available.
    PMID: 7199161
hitssquad
Apr30-04, 04:43 AM
P: 1,382
Quote Quote by Evo
Bouchard's study is not considered to have valid scientific merit due to the lack of peer review
OVID PsycINFO returns 54 citations for (bouchard t j or bouchard thomas j or bouchard thomas j jr).au. and (twin or twins).mp:
  • 1. Johnson, Wendy; McGue, Matt; Krueger, Robert F; Bouchard, Thomas J. Jr. Marriage and Personality: A Genetic Analysis. Journal of Personality & Social Psychology. Vol 86(2) Feb 2004, 285-294. American Psychological Assn, US

2. Bouchard, Thomas J. Jr. The genetics of personality. Blum, Kenneth (Ed); Noble, Ernest P. (Ed); et al. (1997). Handbook of psychiatric genetics. (pp. 273-296). Boca Raton, FL, US: CRC Press. 498pp.

3. Bouchard, Thomas J; Lykken, David T; McGue, Matthew; Segal, Nancy L; et al. "Sources of human psychological differences: The Minnesota Study of Twins Reared Apart": Response. Science. Vol 252(5003) Apr 1991, 191-192. American Assn for the Advancement of Science, US

4. Krueger, Robert F; Markon, Kristian E; Bouchard, Thomas J. Jr. The Extended Genotype: The Heritability of Personality Accounts for the Heritability of Recalled Family Environments in Twins Reared Apart. Journal of Personality. Vol 71(5) Oct 2003, 809-833. Blackwell Publishing, United Kingdom

5. Bouchard, Thomas J. Jr; Segal, Nancy L; Tellegen, Auke; McGue, Matt; Keyes, Margaret; Krueger, Robert. Evidence for the construct validity and heritability of the Wilson-Patterson Conservatism Scale: A reared-apart twins study of social attitudes. Personality & Individual Differences. Vol 34(6) Apr 2003, 959-969. Elsevier Science, United Kingdom

6. Johnson, Wendy; Bouchard, Thomas J. JR; Segal, Nancy L; Keyes, Margaret; Samuels, Jay. The Stroop Color-Word Test: Genetic and environmental influences; Reading, mental ability, and personality correlates. Journal of Educational Psychology. Vol 95(1) Mar 2003, 58-65. American Psychological Assn, US

7. Markon, Kristian E; Krueger, Robert F; Bouchard, Thomas J. JR; Gottesman, Irving I. Normal and abnormal personality traits: Evidence for genetic and environmental relationships in the Minnesota Study of Twins Reared Apart. Journal of Personality. Vol 70(5) Oct 2002, 661-693. Blackwell Publishers, US

8. DiLalla, David L; Gottesman, Irving I; Carey, Gregory; Bouchard, Thomas J. Jr. Heritability of MMPI Harris-Lingoes and Subtle-Obvious subscales in twins reared apart. Assessment. Vol 6(4) Dec 1999, 353-366. Psychological Assessment Resources Inc, US

9. Bouchard, Thomas J. Genes, environment, and personality. Ceci, Stephen J. (Ed); Williams, Wendy M. (Ed). (1999). The nature--nurture debate: The essential readings. Essential readings in developmental psychology. (pp. 97-103). xi, 294pp.

10. McCourt, Kathryn; Bouchard, Thomas J. Jr; Lykken, David T; Tellegen, Auke; Keyes, Margaret. Authoritarianism revisited: Genetic and environmental influences examined in twins reared apart and together. Personality & Individual Differences. Vol 27(5) Nov 1999, 985-1014. Elsevier Science, England

11. Bouchard, Thomas J. Jr; Pedersen, Nancy. Twins reared apart: Nature's double experiment. LaBuda, Michele C. (Ed); Grigorenko, Elena L. (Ed). (1999). On the way to individuality: Current methodological issues in behavioral genetics. (pp. 71-93). xi, 252pp.

12. McGue, Matt; Bouchard, Thomas J. Jr. Genetic and environmental influences on human behavioral differences. Annual Review of Neuroscience. Vol 21 1998, 1-24. Annual Reviews, US

13. Hur, Yoon-Mi; Bouchard, Thomas J. Jr; Eckert, Elke. Genetic and environmental influences on self-reported diet: A reared-apart twin study. Physiology & Behavior. Vol 64(5) Jul 1998, 629-636. Elsevier Science, US

14. Bouchard, Thomas J. Jr; McGue, Matt; Hur, Yoon-Mi; Horn, Joseph M. A genetic and environmental analysis of the California Psychological Inventory using adult twins reared apart and together. European Journal of Personality. Vol 12(5) Sep-Oct 1998, 307-320. John Wiley & Sons, US

15. Hur, Yoon-Mi; Bouchard, Thomas J. Jr; Lykken, David T. Genetic and environmental influence on morningness-eveningness. Personality & Individual Differences. Vol 25(5) Nov 1998, 917-925. Elsevier Science, England

16. Bouchard, Thomas J. Jr; Hur, Yoon-Mi. Genetic and environmental influences on the continuous scales of the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator: An analysis based on twins reared apart. Journal of Personality. Vol 66(2) Apr 1998, 135-149. Blackwell Publishers, US

17. Newman, Denise L; Tellegen, Auke; Bouchard, Thomas J. Jr. Individual differences in adult ego development: Sources of influence in twins reared apart. Journal of Personality & Social Psychology. Vol 74(4) Apr 1998, 985-995. American Psychological Assn, US

18. Bouchard, Thomas J. Jr. IQ similarity in twins reared apart: Findings and responses to critics. Sternberg, Robert J. (Ed); Grigorenko, Elena L. (Ed). (1997). Intelligence, heredity, and environment. (pp. 126-160). xvii, 608pp.

19. Hur, Yoon-Mi; Bouchard, Thomas J. Jr. The genetic correlation between impulsivity and sensation seeking traits. Behavior Genetics. Vol 27(5) Sep 1997, 455-463. Kluwer Academic/Plenum Publishers, US

20. Bouchard, Thomas J. Jr. The genetics of personality. Blum, Kenneth (Ed); Noble, Ernest P. (Ed); et al. (1997). Handbook of psychiatric genetics. (pp. 273-296). 498pp.

21. DiLalla, David L; Carey, Gregory; Gottesman, Irving I; Bouchard, Thomas J. Jr. Heritability of MMPI personality indicators of psychopathology in twins reared apart. Journal of Abnormal Psychology. Vol 105(4) Nov 1996, 491-499. American Psychological Assn, US

22. Bouchard, Thomas J. Jr; Lykken, David T; Tellegen, Auke; McGue, Matthew. Genes, drives, environment, and experience: EPD theory revised. Benbow, Camilla Persson (Ed); Lubinski, David John (Ed). (1996). Intellectual talent: Psychometric and social issues. (pp. 5-43). xii, 428pp.

23. Segal, Nancy L; Wilson, Steven M; Bouchard, Thomas J; Gitlin, Dinah G. Comparative grief experiences of bereaved twins and other bereaved relatives. Personality & Individual Differences. Vol 18(4) Apr 1995, 511-524. Elsevier Science, England

24. Hur, Yoon-Mi; Bouchard, Thomas J. Genetic influences on perceptions of childhood family environment: A reared apart twin study. Child Development. Vol 66(2) Apr 1995, 330-345. Blackwell Publishers, US

25. Arvey, Richard D; McCall, Brian P; Bouchard, Thomas J; Taubman, Paul; et al. Genetic influences on job satisfaction and work value. Personality & Individual Differences. Vol 17(1) Jul 1994, 21-33. Elsevier Science, England

26. Bouchard, Thomas J. Genes, environment, and personality. Science. Vol 264(5166) Jun 1994, 1700-1701. American Assn for the Advancement of Science, US

27. Betsworth, Deborah G; Bouchard, Thomas J; Cooper, Catherine R; Grotevant, Harold D; et al. Genetic and environmental influences on vocational interests assessed using adoptive and biological families and twins reared apart and together. Journal of Vocational Behavior. Vol 44(3) Jun 1994, 263-278. Elsevier Science, US

28. Baker, L. A; Asendorpf, J; Bishop, D; Boomsma, D. I; Bouchard, Thomas J. Jr; Brand, C. R; Fulker, D. W; Gardner, H; Kinsbourne, M; et al. Group report: Intelligence and its inheritance--A diversity of views. Bouchard, Thomas J. Jr. (Ed); Propping, Peter (Ed). (1993). Twins as a tool of behavioral genetics. Life sciences research report, 53. (pp. 85-108). xvi, 310pp.

29. Bouchard, Thomas J. Jr; Propping, Peter. Twins: Nature's twice-told tale. Bouchard, Thomas J. Jr. (Ed); Propping, Peter (Ed). (1993). Twins as a tool of behavioral genetics. Life sciences research report, 53. (pp. 1-15). xvi, 310pp.

30. Bouchard, Thomas J. Jr. (Ed); Propping, Peter (Ed). Twins as a tool of behavioral genetics. (1993). xvi, 310pp.

Book Series Title
    Life sciences research report, 53.
    31. Waller, Niels G; Bouchard, Thomas J; Lykken, David T; Tellegen, Auke; et al. Creativity, heritability, familiality: Which word does not belong? Psychological Inquiry. Vol 4(3) 1993, 235-237. Lawrence Erlbaum, US

32. McGue, Matt; Bouchard, Thomas J. Jr; Iacono, William G; Lykken, David T. Behavioral genetics of cognitive ability: A life-span perspective. Plomin, Robert (Ed); McClearn, Gerald E. (Ed). (1993). Nature, nurture & psychology. (pp. 59-76). xvi, 498pp.

33. Lykken, David T; Bouchard, T. J; McGue, M; Tellegen, Auke. Heritability of interests: A twin study. Journal of Applied Psychology. Vol 78(4) Aug 1993, 649-661. American Psychological Assn, US

34. Lykken, David T; McGue, Matt; Tellegen, A; Bouchard, T. J. Emergenesis: Genetic traits that may not run in families. American Psychologist. Vol 47(12) Dec 1992, 1565-1577. American Psychological Assn, US

35. Keller, Lauren M; Bouchard, Thomas J; Arvey, Richard D; Segal, Nancy L; et al. Work values: Genetic and environmental influences. Journal of Applied Psychology. Vol 77(1) Feb 1992, 79-88. American Psychological Assn, US

36. Bouchard, Thomas J; Arvey, Richard D; Keller, Lauren M; Segal, Nancy L. Genetic influences on job satisfaction: A reply to Cropanzano and James. Journal of Applied Psychology. Vol 77(1) Feb 1992, 89-93. American Psychological Assn, US

Register to reply