I'm having (another) thick moment (complex numbers)

by Brewer
Tags: complex, moment, numbers
Brewer
Nov19-06, 08:50 AM
P: 230
This is a question thats stumping both myself, and my friends who are on maths degrees!

So...

cos(x) can be written as [tex]\frac{1}{2}(e^{ix}+e^{-ix})[/tex] correct?

so does that make its conjugate [tex]\frac{1}{2}(e^{-ix}+e^{ix})[/tex], i.e. cos(x) again? or does the switching of the sign go in front of the e? Its been a long time since I used complex numbers, so I (and my friends) are a little rusty! Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Brewer
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
Researchers help Boston Marathon organizers plan for 2014 race
'Math detective' analyzes odds for suspicious lottery wins
Pseudo-mathematics and financial charlatanism
D H
Nov19-06, 09:23 AM
Mentor
P: 14,452
You are assuming that [tex]e^{iz}[/tex] and [tex]e^{-iz}[/tex] are conjugates of each other. This is only true if z is pure real.

If [tex]z=x+iy, (x,y)\in\mathbb R\times \mathbb R)[/tex], then [tex]e^{iz}=e^{-y}e^{ix}[/tex] and [tex]e^{-iz}=e^{y}e^{-ix}[/tex]. Taking the conjugates, [tex]e^{iz^\ast}=e^{-y}e^{-ix} \ne e^{-iz}[/tex] and [tex]e^{-iz^\ast}=e^{y}e^{ix} \ne e^{iz}[/tex].
HallsofIvy
Nov19-06, 09:24 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 38,881
Quote Quote by Brewer
This is a question thats stumping both myself, and my friends who are on maths degrees!

So...

cos(x) can be written as [tex]\frac{1}{2}(e^{ix}+e^{-ix})[/tex] correct?

so does that make its conjugate [tex]\frac{1}{2}(e^{-ix}+e^{ix})[/tex], i.e. cos(x) again? or does the switching of the sign go in front of the e? Its been a long time since I used complex numbers, so I (and my friends) are a little rusty! Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Brewer
In order that your equation [tex]\frac{1}{2}(e^{ix}+e^{-ix})[/tex] be correct, x must be a real number and then cos(x) is a real number. Is the complex conjugate of cos(x) equal to cos(x)? Of course it is: the complex conjugate of any real number is itself!

Brewer
Nov19-06, 09:25 AM

I'm having (another) thick moment (complex numbers)

You are assuming that [math]e^{ix}[/math] and [math]e^{-ix}[/math] are conjugates of each other. This is only true if [math]x[/math] is pure real.
Well in the example I'm doing this is the case.
Brewer
Nov19-06, 09:26 AM
Quote Quote by HallsofIvy
In order that your equation [tex]\frac{1}{2}(e^{ix}+e^{-ix})[/tex] be correct, x must be a real number and then cos(x) is a real number. Is the complex conjugate of cos(x) equal to cos(x)? Of course it is: the complex conjugate of any real number is itself!
Good that makes me feel better, as thats the reasoning I came up with, and the other thought was conceived by 2 maths students!
D H
Nov19-06, 09:39 AM
Mentor
P: 14,452
Quote Quote by HallsofIvy
In order that your equation [tex]\frac{1}{2}(e^{ix}+e^{-ix})[/tex] be correct, x must be a real number ...
Halls, you should know better!

The equation [tex]\cos(x) = \frac{1}{2}(e^{ix}+e^{-ix})[/tex] follows directly from Euler's formula, [tex]e^{ix} = \cos(x) + i\sin(x)[/tex], which is valid for all real and complex x. Thus the given expression for [tex]\cos(x)[/tex] is valid for all real and complex x.

Register to reply