Simple Motion Problem I Cannot Figure Out

In summary, the conversation is about a person who is new to a forum seeking help with a math problem involving motion. They discuss the problem and their attempts to solve it, and someone provides a solution using mathematical equations and an assumption. The initial speed of the train is the unknown variable that needs to be solved for.
mathemagician
Hi everyone, I am new to these forums and thought this would be a good place to get some help.

I picked up a three dollar russian made math problem book at a local book sale. I am working on the questions it has in it and I came across the first problem on motion it has and I can't quite figure it out. This is high-school level stuff by the way so I would hope its easy for many here.

Problem:

The train left station A for station B. Having traveled 450 km, which constitues 75 percent of the distance between A and B, the train was stopped by a snow-drift. Half an hour later the track was cleared and the engine-driver, having increased the speed by 15 km per hour arrived at station B on time. Find the initial speed of the train.

I have tried to visualize the problem. This is what I have come up with.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/markroxas/motionproblem1.GIF"

The question has no total time and you have to find speed. So are there two unknowns to solve? And how do I do that in this problem? Or is there a different way to solve this? Thanks for any help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Let the required time be T

If there would have been no problem due to snow then the train wud have reached the station B in time T

Now find sepearate times for two part of motion arising dua to a break of 0.5 hr + the time for break equate it will T

Mathematical Form

[tex] \frac{D}{v}=\frac{3D}{4v}+\frac{D}{4(v+15)}+ 0.5 [/tex]

Note that this problem does require an assumption that is not explicitly stated in the problem discription (but which could however be quite reasonably argued as being "common sense"). The assumption of course is that the inital speed of the train was precisely the correct speed to make the train arrive at the destination exactly on time.

What is a simple motion problem?

A simple motion problem involves finding the position, velocity, or acceleration of an object over a specific period of time, given certain initial conditions and known equations of motion.

What are the basic equations of motion?

The basic equations of motion are the displacement equation (x = x0 + v0t + 1/2at^2), the velocity equation (v = v0 + at), and the acceleration equation (a = (vf - v0)/t).

How do I determine the initial conditions in a motion problem?

The initial conditions typically include the initial position (x0), initial velocity (v0), and initial acceleration (a0) of the object. These can be given in the problem statement or can be calculated from other known values.

What are the units for position, velocity, and acceleration?

Position is typically measured in meters (m), velocity in meters per second (m/s), and acceleration in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

What is the difference between uniform and non-uniform motion?

Uniform motion is when an object's velocity remains constant over time, while non-uniform motion is when the velocity changes at a non-constant rate. Uniform motion can be described using the basic equations of motion, while non-uniform motion may require more advanced mathematical concepts to solve.