by SpaceTiger
Tags: photography
Share this thread:
turbo
Mar11-08, 06:34 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
Quote Quote by larkspur View Post
Wish I had turbo's camera and lens for shots like this....
Your work is top-notch, larkspur. I love your pictures.

If you are not heavily invested in the Fuji system and you are willing (and can afford) to change allegiances, the high-end pro-sumer Canons and the L-series zooms are very attractive. I love my 100-400 USM L-series lens. When I was heavy into 35mm film photography, I used to carry 3-4 Olympus OM-1s and an OM-4, all loaded with nice Zuicko prime lenses. Zoom lenses sucked at that time, and I could not tolerate their lousy optical performance. Canon has produced lines of zoom lenses of such high quality (even in their cheaper lines) that I can carry two bodies (30D) and three lenses (18-55mm kit lens, 28-135mm, and 100-400mm L-series) and get some pretty nice results. This compact ensemble with some extra memory and batteries lets me shoot all day with a pretty light load in my backpack.
larkspur
Mar11-08, 06:38 PM
P: 791
I am seriously considering a Canon30 or 40D and a 400mm L zoom for wildlife. I am not happy with the speed or weight or auto focus of the Fuji for wildlife. Hmmmm should I invest my tax return in a mutual fund or spend it on a camera......tough decision.
turbo
Mar11-08, 06:48 PM
PF Gold
Hint: camera, camera, camera. You can't take it with you. Get something that will inspire you and make you happy. You might get hit by a truck tomorrow. Have some fun. The 100-400 zoom is the most wonderful lens I have ever owned (and I have done portraiture and landscape photography with the superlative Bronica ERT-series cameras and Zenzanon lenses.). If you want to capture wildlife, you need a zoom that will get you to the best focal length as soon as possible, and get you to focus that fast, too. I was never a fan of auto-focus in the past, but when you're shooting birds, it's almost essential. They move fast, and if you aim at their eyes, the Canon system gets at the focus very quickly by resolving the tiny reflections (their eyes are small and highly curved).
Kurdt
Mar11-08, 06:48 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,982
My father has the Canon 300D and I like it.
larkspur
Mar21-08, 01:59 PM
I bought the Canon and 400mmL glass.
Here is one of the first shots with it:

Kurdt
Mar21-08, 02:07 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,982

turbo
Mar21-08, 07:12 PM
PF Gold

Great choice, and what a fantastic first light. The tufted titmouse is such an engaging little bird and you did a great job! I can't wait to see what other nice images you come up with.
Astronuc
Mar21-08, 07:17 PM
Admin
P: 21,827
Outstanding shot Larkspur! The titmice have interesting personalities. We have several in the company of chickadees, gold finches, and downy and hairy woodpeckers. Cardinals and jays will show up later.
turbo
Mar21-08, 08:07 PM
PF Gold
No photos because I was re-filling feeders, but today a red-breasted nuthatch was perching on one of the suet cages and refused to move when I approached. I offered it a handful of black oil sunflower seeds with some scraps of suet and was ignored, even when my hand was just an inch from its beak. I think some of the birds are really stressed here. Last year, it was milder and I spent more time outside, and chickadees and nuthatches were eager to land on me and get food. I don't know if the cold weather has given me a different population of birds or if the birds over-wintering here are acting oddly because of the heavy snow-cover and cold weather.....
larkspur
Mar21-08, 08:23 PM
Quote Quote by turbo-1 View Post
Great choice, and what a fantastic first light. The tufted titmouse is such an engaging little bird and you did a great job! I can't wait to see what other nice images you come up with.
Quote Quote by Astronuc View Post
Outstanding shot Larkspur! The titmice have interesting personalities. We have several in the company of chickadees, gold finches, and downy and hairy woodpeckers. Cardinals and jays will show up later.
I like the titmouse because they are brave and will come out when I am sitting ten feet away. The cardinals and finches tried it but the clicking of the shutter scared them off.
larkspur
Mar21-08, 08:24 PM
No photos because I was re-filling feeders, but today a red-breasted nuthatch was perching on one of the suet cages and refused to move when I approached. I offered it a handful of black oil sunflower seeds with some scraps of suet and was ignored, even when my hand was just an inch from its beak. I think some of the birds are really stressed here. Last year, it was milder and I spent more time outside, and chickadees and nuthatches were eager to land on me and get food. I don't know if the cold weather has given me a different population of birds or if the birds over-wintering here are acting oddly because of the heavy snow-cover and cold weather.....
That is cool how the birds will land on you turbo!
lisab
Mar21-08, 08:40 PM
Mentor
P: 2,974
Wow, you must be a wild bird whisperer !

That reminded me of something I haven't thought of for a while...my grandma died when I was pretty little, but one of the memories I have was of her sitting outside wearing a bright red coat. A hummingbird came and lit on her shoulder. I don't remember if she noticed it, but I was amazed!

Larkspur, your bird shots are just fantastic.
larkspur
Mar21-08, 08:53 PM
Quote Quote by lisab View Post

Thanks!
turbo
Mar21-08, 10:20 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by lisab View Post
Wow, you must be a wild bird whisperer !

That reminded me of something I haven't thought of for a while...my grandma died when I was pretty little, but one of the memories I have was of her sitting outside wearing a bright red coat. A hummingbird came and lit on her shoulder. I don't remember if she noticed it, but I was amazed!

I've had chickadees and nuthatches (mostly the red-breasted ones) landing on me and wanting to take food from my hand, even if it was no different from the seeds available at the feeder. Chickadees often fly in, take a seed, and fly away to open it and eat it, but when they take seeds from my hand they often bust the seed before they fly off, as if they want to take the time to warm up their tootsies.
larkspur
Mar22-08, 01:02 PM
I went to the wildlife preserve looking for bluebirds and I found black ones.

~christina~
Mar22-08, 02:56 PM
PF Gold
P: 824
I went to the wildlife preserve looking for bluebirds and I found black ones.

nice picture of a red winged blackbird.

I saw one once but didn't have a camera back then.
They have a interesting call.

Why is there some weird lines in the back of the bird?
Did you use noise reduction on the picture?
larkspur
Mar22-08, 03:21 PM
Quote Quote by ~christina~ View Post
nice picture of a red winged blackbird.

I saw one once but didn't have a camera back then.
They have a interesting call.

Why is there some weird lines in the back of the bird?
Did you use noise reduction on the picture?
I am not seeing any lines. I will have to look at it with my other monitor. Do you mean where the feathers have highlights? It was a bit too close to noon and the lighting was a bit harsh.
~christina~
Mar22-08, 03:35 PM
PF Gold
P: 824
I am not seeing any lines. I will have to look at it with my other monitor. Do you mean where the feathers have highlights? It was a bit too close to noon and the lighting was a bit harsh.
I'm speaking of the tree behind the bird..I think it's because of the resize.

Register to reply