Square Root of Complex Numbers

In summary, the formula for finding square roots of arbitrary complex numbers is \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(\epsilon\sqrt{|z|+a}+i\sqrt{|z|-a}) where epsilon:=sing(b) if b≠0 or epsilon:=1 if b=0. This can be used to find complex roots of quadratic equations with complex coefficients. The formula can be derived from other facts by expressing the number in polar form and dividing the angle by n for the n-th root. Additionally, the formula mentioned can be derived by multiplying a complex number and rotating it by the angle the complex number makes with the x-axis.
littleHilbert
Hi! I've got a question.
There is a nice formula for finding square roots of arbitrary complex numbers z=a+bi:

[itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(\epsilon\sqrt{|z|+a}+i\sqrt{|z|-a})[/itex] where
epsilon:=sing(b) if b≠0 or epsilon:=1 if b=0.

I've just looked it up and it's nice to use it to find complex roots of quadratic equations with complex coefficients.

Where does it come from? I mean, squaring shows that it's true but how can one derive it from other facts? Is there a similar formula for n-th roots (not in polar form but analogous to that above)? Any info, links?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
LittileHilbrt;

Let y=c+id, where y^2=z.

Then; c^2-d^2+2i c*d=a+ib.

As a result; a=c^2-d^2 (eq1) and b=2c*d (eq2).

Therefore, from eq1 and eq2; c^2 = a + (b/c)^2/4 (eq3);

Solving eq3 in c^2, we get c^2={a+sqr(a^2+b^2)}^.5 /2

Therefore, c=(+/-) sqr({a+mod(z)}/2) (eq4 ),
{the other solution is rejected as c must be real}.

Then; z^1/2 = (+/-) y = (+/-) [c + id] = (+/-) [c+id] = (+/-) [sqr({a+mod(z)})+i sign(b)* sqr({[mod(z)]^2 –a^2} / {a+mod(z)})]/sqr(2)
= (+/-) [ sqr( a+mod(z) ) + i sign(b) * sqr({mod(z)–a} ] / sqr(2)
= (+/-) [sign(b) * sqr( a+mod(z) ) + i sqr({mod(z)–a} ] / [sqr(2)* sign(b)]
====> (+/-) [sign(b) * sqr( a+mod(z) ) + i sqr({mod(z)–a} ] / [sqr(2)]

Solving these equaitons when b=0 will need some modifications. By the way, when b is zero, z is real.

Amr Morsi.

It can probably be derived with few identities and Demoivre's theorem.

You could always convert the number to e^(x + iy) form, divide x and y by 2, convert back to normal form. I think that should work.

littleHilbert said:
Where does it come from? I mean, squaring shows that it's true but how can one derive it from other facts? Is there a similar formula for n-th roots (not in polar form but analogous to that above)? Any info, links?
littleHilbert,

When you multiply by a complex number, you are rotating the other number
by the angle the complex number makes with the x-axis.

For example, multiplication by "i" makes a rotation of 90 degrees. Therefore
a multiplication by the square of "i" makes a rotation of 180 degrees or -1.
Hence "i" is the square root of -1.

If you want the "n-th root" of a number; express it in polar form, and
divide the angle by "n". You will get the polar expression for the n-th
root. Use trigonometric identities to transform back into the non-polar
form in terms of the components of the original complex number.
Normalize appropriately if the modulus of the number is not unity.

That's how the formula you cite above is derived.

Dr. Gregory Greenman
Physicist

the question is..take the identity:

[tex] (\sqrt (-2)+1)(\sqrt (-2)-1)=-2 [/tex] and expand it by a continuous fraction..what would we get..

1. What is the definition of square root of complex numbers?

The square root of a complex number is a number that, when multiplied by itself, gives the original complex number. In other words, it is a number that, when squared, gives the original complex number.

2. How do you express the square root of a complex number?

The square root of a complex number can be expressed in the form of a complex number as well. For example, the square root of -4 can be written as 2i, where i is the imaginary unit.

3. Can a complex number have more than one square root?

Yes, a complex number can have two square roots. This is because when we square a complex number, the result can be either positive or negative, and both of these numbers when squared will give the original complex number.

4. What is the principal square root of a complex number?

The principal square root of a complex number is the square root with the positive real part. For example, for the complex number -4, the principal square root would be 2i, not -2i.

5. How do you calculate the square root of a complex number?

To calculate the square root of a complex number, you can use the formula √(a + bi) = ±(√(a² + b²)) + (a/|a|)bi. First, find the absolute value of the real part of the complex number, then use the formula to calculate the square root.