Ploting trajectory, including air resistance.

In summary, the conversation revolves around the plotting of the trajectory of a projectile, taking into consideration the effects of drag force and gravity. The formula for drag force only provides a value at a short interval of time, and the equation does not have a closed form solution. The accuracy of the results can be improved by using a computer to approximate differential equations. However, if programming is not an option, certain approximations can be made to get a partial model of air resistance. The drag force is dependent on the shape and speed of the object, and there are different models for it. The conversation also discusses the use of experimental data and the complexity of including air resistance in calculations. The conversation ends with a mention of a program being developed to calculate
randomvictim
I am trying to plot the trajectory of a projectile. I found formulas for finding the drag force, but it only gives me the drag force at an impossibly short interval of time, i need it to affect the trajectory of the projectile threw out it's path. The projectile is also affected by gravity. If anyone could help me out here, either by giving me a different drag formula or even better, in the form of y=, that would be great.

This formula is going into a program to calculate and graph the path of projectiles fired out of compressed air powered spud guns.

Physics news on Phys.org
This formula is going into a program to calculate and graph the path of projectiles fired out of compressed air powered spud guns.

If you want the most accurate results, you have to know how to use a computer to approximate differential equations. I have some code in Mathematica, but I doubt you use that.

If programming is not an option you will have to find a software that does this for you (of which I am sure their are many). The problem is that realistic modelling of air resistance involves nonlinear differential equations, and in this case the equations do not have a closed from solution (a formula y = ).

If you feel you must resort to pen and paper methods, then certain approximations can be made to get you a "y =" that partially models air resistance. Depending on your desired accuracy (i.e. pen-paper is good enough unless you are going to measure wind) this could be viable.

No, computers is how I intend to do this. I don't know a thing about differential equations, but I have been programming for years. I am making a program for doing it. I made one already that calculates the muzzle velocity and the maximum height of the projectile fired straight up in a vacuum, but it is useless to me, it needs air resistance.

That didn't include drag and I am not using Excel, it will be an executable, written in C++. I know the formula for drag, but drag changes based on velocity, and the velocity is constantly changing.

Last edited:
Why was my thread moved into the homework section? This project is not in any way school related.

Last edited:
I wouldn't have thought this was related to a homework problem... especially if you don't know anything about differential equations! The drag force depends on the shape of an object, its speed, and properties of the object and the air. The higher the speed, the higher the drag force; I'm sure you realize this at this point. However, there are several models for drag force, one is that the drag force is proportional to the velocity. Another common model is that the drag force is proportional to the velocity squared. i.e. F=-cv or F=-cv^2, where c is a positive constant dependent on the properties of your projectile. You're in luck! If you assume the drag force is proportional to the velocity, I think that leads to a first order linear differential equation which can be solved for the velocity as a function of time... sort of. Unfortunately, that may not be the correct model for a potato flying through the air. Equally unfortunate is that you're probably going to need experimental data in order to find what the constant is.

There's a reason that intro physics courses say "ignore air resistance" or "ignore drag forces" - the mathematics get quite complicated!

I am also trying to do somthing similar, I have learned how to solve differential equations in class, I am just trying to set up the differential equation, (I took calc but trig bassed physics) I have the air density formula, the force of drag formula, and basic contants (Drag coeficiant, frontal area, initial velocity, mass of projectile etc..) I need with the projectile I am using. So far I know that the velocity of time would be somthing like this V(t) = Vi - (Force of drag/mass of projectile)*t. Unless I have it wrong please correct me. No the problem is that Force of drag (Fd) requires the V(t) to calculate Fd. Ie V(t) = Vi - (905.8656 - ((.5 * p * (V(t)^2) * (4.56036731 × 10-5 ) *.507) / .0116638038)t). So I know I need calc here its just setting it up is getting me. Anyways I think this is my final formula sombody please check it I just tried solving using substitution but then again I think I nuked it, 912952.4078072/(p*time) = V(t)

Anyways one other side note, I used Vi as a constant but I will put as inputed variable into the program. I am debating on writing it as Ti-Basic (for 83/84 most likley) or as a .exe. In anycase I will post it when I am done onto the forums. If i do .exe I will have it input any mass, frontal area, and drag coeficient as a variable, also tied into the program will be manual entering of forcasted air pressure, humidity, and temperature, to further calculate the velocity of time t.

contants
p= density of fluid (air) for which I have a formula it is in kg/m^3 (I can take care of this for the most part, I will just leave it as a variable, I have a separate program all set for that bassed on temp and measured pressure and humidity. (takes altitude out of the equation)
V(t)= Velocity of time
Vi = Initial velocity (will be as variable in the program) = 905.8656 m/s
Mass of projectile if needed = 11.6638grams

Side note: I realized not everything has correct number of significant digits, I am going by conversions and ctrl + C...Ctrl + V for numbers, it should get me close enough to where the program will round to the nearest m/s anyhow.

What is trajectory plotting?

Trajectory plotting is the process of predicting the path of a projectile or moving object in a given environment, taking into account factors such as air resistance, gravity, and initial velocity.

Why is air resistance a factor in plotting trajectories?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is a force that opposes the motion of an object through the air. It can significantly affect the trajectory of a projectile, especially at higher speeds or in denser air, making it an important factor to consider when plotting trajectories.

How do you calculate air resistance in trajectory plotting?

The amount of air resistance on an object is determined by its shape, size, speed, and the density of the air. There are various mathematical models, such as the drag equation, that can be used to calculate air resistance in trajectory plotting.

What are some common methods for plotting trajectories?

Some common methods for plotting trajectories include using mathematical equations, computer simulations, and physical experiments.

Can air resistance be ignored in trajectory plotting?

In most cases, air resistance cannot be ignored in trajectory plotting, as it can have a significant impact on the accuracy of the predicted trajectory. However, in certain situations where the projectile is moving at a low speed or in a vacuum, air resistance may be negligible and can be ignored.