Electric Field Question (Very Difficult)

by cheechnchong
Tags: difficult, electric, field
cheechnchong
Jan24-07, 11:29 PM
P: 132
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

While you read this question look at this diagram http://i3.tinypic.com/3zho01t.jpg...

A small plastic ball with a mass of 6.50 x 10^-3 kg and with a charge of +0.150 uC is suspended from an insulating thread and hangs between the plates of a capacitor (see the drawing). the ball is in equilibrium, with the thread making an angle of 30.0 degrees with respect to the vertical. the area of each plate is 0.0150 m^2. what is the magnitude of the charge on each plate?

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried to find q using Q = mg/E, but it ended up in a mess since I was looking for the magnitude. The area is throwing me off...I don't know how to utilize it. Honestly, this is a very tough question! would love all the help i can get. i give up after 2 days!

Answer from the textbook is 3.25 x 10^-8 C
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Cougars' diverse diet helped them survive the Pleistocene mass extinction
Cyber risks can cause disruption on scale of 2008 crisis, study says
Mantis shrimp stronger than airplanes
cheechnchong
Jan25-07, 07:17 AM
upping! still waiting for some help.
Doc Al
Jan25-07, 08:15 AM
Mentor
P: 40,905
Quote Quote by cheechnchong View Post
I tried to find q using Q = mg/E, but it ended up in a mess since I was looking for the magnitude.
Start by analyzing all the forces acting on the ball. Hint: Three forces act on the ball. Then apply the conditions for equilibrium--net force equals zero--to solve for the electric field. Hint: Write equations for vertical and horizontal force components and then combine them.
The area is throwing me off...I don't know how to utilize it.
Once you've found the electric field, use what you know about capacitors to figure out the charge on each plate needed to produce that field. That's when the area will come in handy.

cheechnchong
Jan25-07, 09:09 AM

Electric Field Question (Very Difficult)

^Awesome. i appreciate the help doc.

i used your advice and it worked out just fine...i got the answer i was lookin for! that hint sparked something in my mind...

Register to reply