Register to reply

Musical Instruments, do you play one? I play Keyboard

by timejim
Tags: instruments, keyboard, musical, play
Share this thread:
zoobyshoe
Mar1-04, 11:09 PM
P: 5,625
I have a nice electronic keyboard. Back in July I was in the midst of using it to help me compose The Zoobie Cantata when I discovered the internet and got sucked into its inescapable gravity.
Loren Booda
Mar1-04, 11:23 PM
P: 3,408
I play the stereo. My friend, who passed on twenty years ago, had a wall of 24 Large Advent speakers driven by two MacIntosh 2300 stereo amps (pushing out nearly 2400 RMS watts total from two 20A input house circuits) in his basement. As Alan would say - "Kick ***!"
recon
Mar2-04, 01:02 AM
P: 406
I play the piano too and I adore Chopin's Nocturnes!

Does anyone here know how to play Fantaisie Impromptu? It's the FASTEST Chopin piano piece I've encountered!

Right now, I'm attempting Chopin's Ballade No. 1 in G minor. It's just so brilliantly played in 'The Pianist'.
-cpbs-
Mar2-04, 01:14 AM
P: n/a
Played trombone for 6 years. Still kind of know how to play, but haven't for like 2 years.

-cpbs-
KLscilevothma
Mar2-04, 03:23 AM
P: 321
Originally posted by Monique
I wish I could play piano like that
Me too, I really want to learn how to play the piano. I can play very very very simple songs using both hands and play the melody of more complicated songs using my right hand though. My friends teach me sometimes when I go to their houses. Sometimes I really envy those who know how to play musical instruments.

Originally posted by evo
I'm self taught on piano. My parents wouldn't let me take lessons because they paid for lessons for my older brother & he wasn't interested.
My parents couldn't afford paying piano lessons fee. If they could, probably they'd give the chance to my brother first.

Hopefully I can buy myself a guitar in the coming summer holiday and teach myself playing by reading books. I always believe that I'm pretty good at learning music.
BLUE_CHIP
Mar2-04, 08:30 AM
P: n/a
Cello for 13 years.... and I'm 17

I'm still pants. [b(]
selfAdjoint
Mar2-04, 09:37 AM
Emeritus
PF Gold
P: 8,147
I have this image of a 4 year old disppearing behind the cello he's playing - even a miniatur one!
Artman
Mar2-04, 10:11 AM
P: 1,591
Originally posted by selfAdjoint
I have this image of a 4 year old disppearing behind the cello he's playing - even a miniatur one!
Yeah, all you can see is one hand holding a bow and one hand grasping the neck. Occasionally the cello spins around like a jazz player's standup bass and we can glimpse the 4 year old player.
motai
Mar2-04, 11:41 AM
P: 496
Originally posted by Artman
Yeah, all you can see is one hand holding a bow and one hand grasping the neck. Occasionally the cello spins around like a jazz player's standup bass and we can glimpse the 4 year old player.
Sounds cool, ive always been interested in low stringed instruments (like string bass) for jazz and the walking bass parts.
wasteofo2
Mar2-04, 09:45 PM
P: 1,522
Originally posted by null

Anyway I just got a guitar and am just working on getting down as many chords as I can right now. Anyone have any suggestions for songs to start with? If so Thanks
I'd say play whatever you like. When I started playing guitar, all I was into was simple pop-rock like Nirvana and Green day, just kind of simple punk and metal influenced stuff. Playing all that didn't really help me as a musician, I didn't learn any theory from it and all I could really do was power chords (root, 5th, octave of the root) and simple little riffs, but it kept me interested in playing my instrument.

Playing punk influenced stuff kept my interest up, but eventually I began to crave stuff that was more challenging and interesting to play and listen to.

Some stuff that helped me make the jump from powerchords to playing solos and composing my own stuff was Jimi Hendrix, Led Zepplin, The Beatles, etc. I actaully learned to play the blues from listening to and playing Black Sabbath

http://www.people.fas.harvard.edu/~desmith/guitar/

That site has been immesurably useful to me in learning music theory and helping me compose my own guitar music. Of course, lessons help alot too.
fish
Mar3-04, 01:01 AM
P: 47
I put together a guitar instruction page that covers basic theory, finger picking, alternate/open tunings, solos & scales over chord progressions and various tablatures.

http://tinpan.fortunecity.com/melody/73/tab.html
null
Mar3-04, 04:46 AM
P: 10
Originaly posted by wasteofo2
[/B] I'd say play whatever you like. When I started playing guitar, all I was into was simple pop-rock like Nirvana and Green day, just kind of simple punk and metal influenced stuff. Playing all that didn't really help me as a musician, I didn't learn any theory from it and all I could really do was power chords (root, 5th, octave of the root) and simple little riffs, but it kept me interested in playing my instrument.
That site has been immesurably useful to me in learning music theory and helping me compose my own guitar music
http://www.people.fas.harvard.edu/~desmith/guitar/
Of course, lessons help alot too.[/B]
Yah for now I'm just looking for simple, catchy songs that I will recognize to get started, like the ones you suggested. I've taken a lot of music theory before so for now I just want to fool around with some songs and get a feel for my guitar. I checked out that website it's going to be extremly helpfull -Thanks man for all your help
I've been thinking about lessons maybe later...
Originally posted by fish
I put together a guitar instruction page that covers basic theory, finger picking, alternate/open tunings, solos & scales over chord progressions and various tablatures.
Nice site fish, good links, I'm sure this will be very helpfull too Thanks

Man who knew there were so many intelligent and talented guys out there. Sweet
Mentat
Mar3-04, 12:23 PM
P: 3,715
Originally posted by recon
I play the piano too and I adore Chopin's Nocturnes!

Does anyone here know how to play Fantaisie Impromptu? It's the FASTEST Chopin piano piece I've encountered!

Right now, I'm attempting Chopin's Ballade No. 1 in G minor. It's just so brilliantly played in 'The Pianist'.
I've seen the Fantaisie Impromptu once...I didn't even try (and that's not typical of me...I've attempted the Flight of the Bumblebee numerous times, inspite of the constant failure).

I really like that Ballade, but I prefer the way Jean-Yves Thibaudet played it, on the C.D. called The Chopin I Love. You should check that out sometime, if you can find it.
Artman
Mar3-04, 04:32 PM

Cool site Fish!

I like the scales area and I plan to spend some time there checking them out. I usually use just some forms of the blues scales.

I once made a slide rule type moveable scale so I could find the forms in any key. I used it a lot when I was starting out, but I don't rely on it much anymore.

Really nice site.
wasteofo2
Mar3-04, 06:21 PM
P: 1,522

Hey man, awesome site, I'd actually stumbled across that a few days ago looking for the Johnny B Goode tab.

<edit>Oh man, I'm loving those brent mason clips that you've transcribed. I've been wanting to learn some chickin' pickin' for a looooong time and this may very well be what puts me on that path, thanks alot man!</edit>
fish
Mar3-04, 08:34 PM
Glad you folks found the site useful.

Originally posted by Artman
Cool site Fish!

I like the scales area and I plan to spend some time there checking them out. I usually use just some forms of the blues scales.

I once made a slide rule type moveable scale so I could find the forms in any key. I used it a lot when I was starting out, but I don't rely on it much anymore.

Really nice site.
I take a simplistic approach to that. What's nice about the guitar fretboard layout, is scales (and chords) just follow the same patterns over and over, so to change key, just move the whole pattern up or down one fret at a time. (not minding any open strings) Capos come in handy here too.

Originally posted by wasteofo2
Hey man, awesome site, I'd actually stumbled across that a few days ago looking for the Johnny B Goode tab.

<edit>Oh man, I'm loving those brent mason clips that you've transcribed. I've been wanting to learn some chickin' pickin' for a looooong time and this may very well be what puts me on that path, thanks alot man!</edit>
It's a really fun style to play with all the double stops and harmony notes.

Mason's discography list is amazing. check this out:http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...R102557#APPEAR
He even does guitar fills on the "Friends" sitcom soundtrack.
Artman
Mar4-04, 07:53 AM

I take a simplistic approach to that. What's nice about the guitar fretboard layout, is scales (and chords) just follow the same patterns over and over, so to change key, just move the whole pattern up or down one fret at a time. (not minding any open strings) Capos come in handy here too.
That is how my slide scale worked. It helped me to visualize the pattern at the different locations on the fretboard. I finally got to where I don't need it.
fish
Mar4-04, 10:24 PM
Here's a link to Brent Mason's site. It's got some sample song files from his solo CD "Hot Wired". Since his record company is no longer supporting the CD, he is going to re-record the whole thing and re-release it.

http://www.brentmason.com

Register to reply