Speed in still water/ throwing object horizontally.

by future_vet
Tags: horizontally, object, speed, throwing, water or
future_vet
Feb8-07, 04:08 PM
P: 169
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
A stone is thrown horizontally with an initial speed of 10 m/s from the edge of a cliff. 4.3 s later the stone hits the ground. What is the height of the cliff?

A swimmer heading directly across a river 200 m wide reaches the opposite bank in 6 min 40 s. She is swept downstream 480 m. How fast can she swim in still water?

2. Relevant equations
The problem here is that I don't understand why some equations are used sometimes...

3. The attempt at a solution
For example, for the first question, I just calculated 43 meters, since the speed is 10 meters per second. I am aware that the speed accelerate continuously, but I don't understand which equation to use.

For the second question, it's the same thing. I found 0.5 m/s.

Thanks for explaining where I am not thinking correctly. I know that my answers are not correct (well, pretty sure)..
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Going nuts? Turkey looks to pistachios to heat new eco-city
Space-tested fluid flow concept advances infectious disease diagnoses
SpaceX launches supplies to space station (Update)
Hootenanny
Feb8-07, 04:21 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,789
You need to consider components of the velocities and accelerations, then apply the kinematic equations that I'm sure you know. For example, in the first case, you should split the speed [and acceleration] into two separate values, one for the vertical direction and one for the horizontal direction. Then you apply the kinematic equations to each direction separately.
future_vet
Feb8-07, 04:28 PM
Thanks!

But in the second question, the water is still... Do the equations still apply?...

Hootenanny
Feb8-07, 04:32 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold

Speed in still water/ throwing object horizontally.

Quote Quote by future_vet View Post
Thanks!

But in the second question, the water is still... Do the equations still apply?...
Not a problem!

Yes, in the second case the equations still apply. The idea behind the question is to find the component of her velocity which is perpendicular to the banks (and hence the velocity of the water), when she is swept downstream. This will be her speed in still water.
future_vet
Feb8-07, 04:40 PM
Thank you :)
Hootenanny
Feb8-07, 04:42 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by future_vet View Post
Thank you :)