Airplane Free-body diagram

by ataglance05
Tags: airplane, diagram, freebody
Share this thread:
ataglance05
Feb8-07, 06:58 PM
P: 43
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
A plane with mass of 1090 kg is flying straight and level at an altitude of 1100 meters & a constant velocity of 200 kg/hr (55.55m/sec). Assuming that the acceleration due to gravity is 10 m/sec^2, the force on the plane due to gravity is 10900 Newtons. Since the plane is in level flight, the net force in the y direction is 0 & the lifting force provided by the wings equals the weight of the plane. The piolot now banks the wings at a 7.5 degree angle w/ respect to the vertical in order to make a turn. Part of the lifting force of the wings is now used to make the plane turn in a circle & theres less lift to counteract the force of gravity.

How long will it take the plane to make one turn of 360 degrees at a velocity of 200 km/hr (55.55 m/sec)??

2. Relevant equations
Vf=Vo+aT
S=Vo(T)+1/2(a)(T)^2
s=theta(r)
Time=Distance/radius
A free-body diagram of the situation:

3. The attempt at a solution
NO CLUE!!!!!!!!!!!! HELP!!!

All I know is that the value that the lift should be increased so that the plane doesn't decend is 10994 Newtons and that the radius of the circle that the plane will fly w/o loosing altitude w/ constant velocity of 200km/hr is 2343 m.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Bees able to spot which flowers offer best rewards before landing
Classic Lewis Carroll character inspires new ecological model
When cooperation counts: Researchers find sperm benefit from grouping together in mice
ataglance05
Feb8-07, 08:50 PM
anyone???
hage567
Feb8-07, 09:45 PM
HW Helper
P: 1,540
Well, if you know the radius of the circle, you can easily find the circumference of the circle. What does that give you? You also know the plane's speed. You can put these two pieces of information together to find out the time it takes to complete the turn.

ataglance05
Feb8-07, 10:35 PM
Airplane Free-body diagram

Quote Quote by hage567 View Post
Well, if you know the radius of the circle, you can easily find the circumference of the circle. What does that give you? You also know the plane's speed. You can put these two pieces of information together to find out the time it takes to complete the turn.
The circumference is 7326.194 and the velocity is 55.55 m/sec. what equation would i use though??
hage567
Feb8-07, 10:49 PM
HW Helper
Double check your calculation for the circumference, I got a different value. You know the circumference (ie total distance) the plane travels in one turn, and the speed during the turn. What's the definition of speed? Use that and solve for t.
ataglance05
Feb8-07, 10:52 PM
Quote Quote by hage567 View Post
Double check your calculation for the circumference, I got a different value. You know the circumference (ie total distance) the plane travels in one turn, and the speed during the turn. What's the definition of speed? Use that and solve for t.
I stand corrected; C=14714.04

Alright so I'm now leaning towards Time=Distance/Velocity with the distance being the circumference. Am i correct?
hage567
Feb8-07, 10:57 PM
HW Helper
Sounds good to me!
ataglance05
Feb8-07, 11:02 PM
thanks!!!!!

Register to reply