How much powerful is an accelerator

• Thread starter juan avellaneda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Accelerator
In summary, a particle accelerator is capable of reproducing the initial conditions of the Universe, but it is a misconception that it has low energy output due to its high voltage and low current. In reality, the energy per particle can be in the order of GeV or TeV, making it a significant source of energy. Additionally, the total beam power at Fermilab during collisions is typically around 500kW, equivalent to releasing 500kJ in one second. Therefore, the misconception that particle accelerators have low energy output should be reconsidered.
juan avellaneda
hi all

its has been told in books that a particle accelerator can reproduce the initial conditions in the Universe
But we know that this gadgets have very high voltages but low currents
so the product V*I = Energy is not too high to assert that
I think lighting can carry much more energy than this, although it don't carry much voltage , it carry millions of amperes.
So i think this is a missconception that shoul be reviewed.

Physics news on Phys.org
Even a falling piece of chalk may have a higher kinetic energy than that achievable in Fermilab's Tevatron.

The difference comes when you consider the energy per particle.

Originally posted by juan avellaneda
hi all

its has been told in books that a particle accelerator can reproduce the initial conditions in the Universe
But we know that this gadgets have very high voltages but low currents
so the product V*I = Energy is not too high to assert that
I think lighting can carry much more energy than this, although it don't carry much voltage , it carry millions of amperes.
So i think this is a missconception that shoul be reviewed.

... or that there is a misconception of your understanding. Keep in mind that one doesn't spend billions of dollars to build something that has this kind of, let's face it, elementary misconception.

You need to understand what is meant by "energy per nucleon", energy in a center of mass frame especially when you have two incoming, colliding beams, etc. If you accept that the energy per particle have energies of the order of GeV or TeV (you're welcome to visit Fermilab, RHIC, or CERN to verify this), then there are no "misconceptions" here.

Zz.

Units, anyone?

V * I = Watts. Watts = Joules / second, or energy per unit time. The total beam power at Fermilab during collisions at the top of a stack (when beam current is maximum) is typically on the order of 500kW. This is equivalent to one Joule of energy being released in 0.000002 seconds. It is also equivalent to 500kJ in one second. There is a disconnect in the units of the question.

1. How is the power of an accelerator measured?

The power of an accelerator is typically measured in terms of energy output, specifically in electron volts (eV) or joules (J). It can also be measured in terms of the speed or rate at which particles are accelerated, typically in units of meters per second (m/s) or gigaelectronvolts per meter (GeV/m).

2. What is the most powerful accelerator currently in operation?

The Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN is currently the most powerful accelerator in operation, with a maximum energy output of 13 TeV (13 trillion electron volts). This is achieved through a series of superconducting magnets and a complex system of accelerating and colliding particles.

3. How does the power of an accelerator affect its capabilities?

The power of an accelerator directly affects its capabilities, as a higher energy output allows for the acceleration of heavier particles and the creation of more energetic collisions. This can lead to the discovery of new particles and the study of fundamental physics at a deeper level.

4. Can the power of an accelerator be increased?

Yes, the power of an accelerator can be increased through various methods such as adding more powerful magnets, increasing the length of the accelerator, or implementing new technologies. However, there are limitations to how much power an accelerator can safely handle and operate at.

5. How does the power of an accelerator compare to other energy sources?

The power of an accelerator is typically on a much smaller scale compared to other energy sources, such as nuclear power plants. However, accelerators have the ability to produce highly concentrated and focused energy, making them useful for specific scientific research and applications.