Register to reply

Where am I going wrong with this problem?

by Canadian
Tags: None
Share this thread:
Canadian
Feb9-07, 11:58 AM
P: 27
The four 1.0 g spheres shown in the figure are released simultaneously and allowed to move away from each other.

Here's my attempt at a solution. All sphere's have same charge and are situated in a square.

Thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Wearable 4MM jetpack tested on speed, agility for runners (w/ Video)
How did evolution optimize circadian clocks?
Corn spots: Study finds important genes in defense response
berkeman
Feb9-07, 12:10 PM
Mentor
P: 41,258
I'm assuming you are asked for the final velocity of each of the masses with respect to the stationary frame of reference. One error I see, 1g does not equal 0.0001kg. The rest of your approach looks reasonable.
Canadian
Feb9-07, 03:58 PM
Thanks, corrected the mass (silly me) and recalculated. Computer still doesn't like this answer???

Any ideas?

berkeman
Feb9-07, 04:25 PM
Mentor
P: 41,258
Where am I going wrong with this problem?

I'm getting a different exponent on the potential energy terms. Maybe check your units in each of the equations to be sure you are using mks throughout. (Of course I may be calculating the potential energies wrong as well.)
Canadian
Feb10-07, 01:32 AM
My goodness it is questions like these that make me so angry. Just got an email back from my Prof he said I need to think about all the pairs in the problem. So I needed to take into account all six pairs in the problem (1 on 2, 1 on 3, 1 on 4, 2 on 3, 2 on 4, and 3 on 4).

Got the answer correct now thanks for all your help.

Register to reply