Register to reply

Where am I going wrong with this problem?

by Canadian
Tags: None
Share this thread:
Canadian
Feb9-07, 11:58 AM
P: 27
The four 1.0 g spheres shown in the figure are released simultaneously and allowed to move away from each other.

Here's my attempt at a solution. All sphere's have same charge and are situated in a square.

Thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Wildfires and other burns play bigger role in climate change, professor finds
SR Labs research to expose BadUSB next week in Vegas
New study advances 'DNA revolution,' tells butterflies' evolutionary history
berkeman
Feb9-07, 12:10 PM
Mentor
P: 40,740
I'm assuming you are asked for the final velocity of each of the masses with respect to the stationary frame of reference. One error I see, 1g does not equal 0.0001kg. The rest of your approach looks reasonable.
Canadian
Feb9-07, 03:58 PM
Thanks, corrected the mass (silly me) and recalculated. Computer still doesn't like this answer???

Any ideas?

berkeman
Feb9-07, 04:25 PM
Mentor
P: 40,740
Where am I going wrong with this problem?

I'm getting a different exponent on the potential energy terms. Maybe check your units in each of the equations to be sure you are using mks throughout. (Of course I may be calculating the potential energies wrong as well.)
Canadian
Feb10-07, 01:32 AM
My goodness it is questions like these that make me so angry. Just got an email back from my Prof he said I need to think about all the pairs in the problem. So I needed to take into account all six pairs in the problem (1 on 2, 1 on 3, 1 on 4, 2 on 3, 2 on 4, and 3 on 4).

Got the answer correct now thanks for all your help.

Register to reply