Reflection/Refraction Problem

• Thread starter asd1249jf
  • Start date
In summary, the question asks for the apparent depth of a small fish floating motionless 6.80cm under the surface of water, when viewed at normal incidence in a tank with a mirror bottom filled with water to a depth of 21.0cm. Using the given index of refraction for water and air, the solution involves applying the spherical-relationship optic equation, with the second part being 0 due to the flat bottom surface of the tank. The answer is found to be 10.67cm, but this is incorrect due to the refraction of light rays from the fish. The task is to determine the "apparent" depth of the fish as viewed from above the water's surface.
asd1249jf

Homework Statement

A tank whose bottom is a mirror is filled with water to a depth of 21.0cm. A small fish floats motionless 6.80cm under the surface of the water. Use index of refraction 1.33 for water and 1 for air.

Homework Equations

What is the apparent depth of the reflection of the fish in the bottom of the tank when viewed at normal incidence?

The Attempt at a Solution

First of all, I don't think I understand the question properly. Really, I think this is the most retardedly (Excuse me for the language) worded question ever.

I tried to solve it anyhow. Here's what I did :

Generally, for a spherical-relationship optic equation is

(n_a/s_a) + (n_b / s_b) = [(n_b) - (n_a)] / R

In this case, the fish tank's bottom surface is flat. So R (Radius of curvature) = infinity, which makes the second part 0.

So plugging in the values

(1.33 / 21.0 - 6.8) + (1 / s_b) = 0

and solving for s_b gives -10.67, but we cannot have negative distance, therefore, the answer is 10.67cm which is completely wrong.

can anyone help me what I did wrong in the steps?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can someone please... help...

Rays of light from a point on the fish (not a ray traveling vertically upwards) will be refracted away from the normal when it exits into the air. This means that a person who looks at these rays will conclude that they originated from a point higher up in the water than where they actually came from.

You need to determine the depth of this "apparent" point as viewed by such a person.

1. What is the difference between reflection and refraction?

Reflection is the bouncing back of a wave when it hits a surface, while refraction is the bending of a wave as it passes through a different medium.

2. How do you calculate the angle of reflection?

The angle of reflection can be calculated using the law of reflection, which states that the angle of incidence (the angle at which the wave hits the surface) is equal to the angle of reflection (the angle at which the wave bounces back).

3. What factors affect the amount of reflection and refraction that occurs?

The amount of reflection and refraction that occurs can be affected by the angle of incidence, the properties of the medium the wave is traveling through, and the wavelength of the wave.

4. Can reflection and refraction occur simultaneously?

Yes, reflection and refraction can occur simultaneously when a wave hits a surface at an angle, causing both reflection and refraction to happen.

5. How is the speed of light related to reflection and refraction?

The speed of light changes when it travels through different mediums, causing the wave to either slow down or speed up. This change in speed is what causes reflection and refraction to occur.