Energy vs Momentum Homework: Bullet Hits Balk

In summary, during a plastic collision, momentum is conserved but energy is not. This is because of non-conservative forces that act during the collision, causing energy loss. After the collision, only the conservative force of gravity is acting, so energy is conserved but momentum is not. This explains the difference in results when using the energy and momentum approaches to solve the problem.
vadbol

Homework Statement

A bullet hits balk of 5kg on a rope of 2m lenths. Bullets mass 2gr, velocity unknown. Plastic collission, balk goes upat 45 degrees.

Homework Equations

When i solve it with energy equations i get
h=2-2cos45=0.58m
V(of balk and bullet) = sqrt(2gh)=3.38 m/s. (potential energy of total mass)

Now i need to find a velocity of bullet at t(0).
Here is the trick
when i solve it using momentum i get:
mv=(m+M)V
v=8450 m/s
But! when i solve it using energy i got
m*sqr(v)/2=(m+M)*g*h
v=168.5 m/s.
Thinking about that we used the potential energy to calculate a balk speed and taking into account an absolute plastic collision i don't know why is the differense?
Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
vadbol said:

Homework Statement

A bullet hits balk of 5kg on a rope of 2m lenths. Bullets mass 2gr, velocity unknown. Plastic collission, balk goes upat 45 degrees.

Homework Equations

When i solve it with energy equations i get
h=2-2cos45=0.58m
V(of balk and bullet) = sqrt(2gh)=3.38 m/s. (potential energy of total mass)

Now i need to find a velocity of bullet at t(0).
Here is the trick
when i solve it using momentum i get:
mv=(m+M)V
v=8450 m/s
But! when i solve it using energy i got
m*sqr(v)/2=(m+M)*g*h
v=168.5 m/s.
Thinking about that we used the potential energy to calculate a balk speed and taking into account an absolute plastic collision i don't know why is the differense?
Thanks for any help.
During a plastic (totally inelastic) or inelastic collision, momentum is always conserved, but energy is not (there is energy loss from friction, heat, etc.). Your first approach seems correct, although that bullet speed seems enormously high.

Ok, thanks for reply.
But to solve it using momentum approach i took velocity of balk and a bullet after collision which i got using the very energy equation. So if the energy is not saved totally as you say how can we use that velocity of balk to calculate velocity of bullet?
I mean when the bullet hits the balk it gives it its total energy and balk goes up - converting kinetic energy into potential. Now using the height of rising we got velocity of balk using energy equations. So the energy the bullet gave to balk - the bullet had at the fire moment - a kinetic.
The difference between results is too big for thinkinf about heat etc.

vadbol said:
Ok, thanks for reply.
But to solve it using momentum approach i took velocity of balk and a bullet after collision which i got using the very energy equation. So if the energy is not saved totally as you say how can we use that velocity of balk to calculate velocity of bullet?
I mean when the bullet hits the balk it gives it its total energy and balk goes up - converting kinetic energy into potential. Now using the height of rising we got velocity of balk using energy equations. So the energy the bullet gave to balk - the bullet had at the fire moment - a kinetic.
The difference between results is too big for thinkinf about heat etc.
Momentum is conserved during the collision, energy is not. Energy is conserved after the collision, momentum is not.

During the collision, there are no external forces acting on the system, that is why momentum is conserved. But energy is not conserved during the collision, because of the fact that there are non-conservative forces acting in bringing the bullet to a stop as it penetrates the balk.

After the collision takes place in a very short impulse of time, now energy must be conserved, because only the gravity force...a conservative force..is acting. But since gravity is an external force, momentum is not conserved after the collision.

Thanks , now i got it. :)

1. What is the difference between energy and momentum?

Energy and momentum are both physical quantities used to describe the motion of an object. However, they have different definitions and units. Energy is the ability to do work and is measured in joules (J), while momentum is the product of an object's mass and velocity and is measured in kilogram-meters per second (kg*m/s).

2. How do energy and momentum relate to each other?

Energy and momentum are related through the principle of conservation of energy and momentum. This means that in a closed system, the total energy and momentum before an event must equal the total energy and momentum after the event. This relationship can be seen in the equation: Energy = (Momentum)^2 / 2m, where m is the mass of the object.

3. How is energy and momentum conserved in the scenario of a bullet hitting a block?

In this scenario, the bullet and the block are considered as a closed system. Before the bullet hits the block, it has a certain amount of kinetic energy and momentum. When the bullet hits the block, the kinetic energy is transferred to the block and both the bullet and the block start moving with a shared momentum. This means that the total energy and momentum before and after the event are the same, satisfying the principle of conservation of energy and momentum.

4. How does the velocity of the bullet affect the energy and momentum of the system?

The velocity of the bullet will have a direct impact on the energy and momentum of the system. A faster-moving bullet will have a higher momentum and thus transfer more energy to the block upon impact. This also means that the velocity of the bullet will affect the final velocity of the block after the collision.

5. Can energy and momentum be negative values?

Yes, energy and momentum can be negative values. This usually occurs when the direction of the object's motion is opposite to the chosen direction of positive values. For example, if we consider the bullet traveling to the left as the positive direction, the block traveling to the right after the collision would have a negative momentum.