Getting raped in jail

by PIT2
Tags: jail, raped
PIT2
Feb12-07, 03:19 PM
P: 904
I've been sentenced for a D.U.I. offense. My 3rd one. When I first came to prison, I had no idea what to expect. Certainly none of this. I'm a tall white male, who unfortunately has a small amount of feminine characteristics. And very shy. These characteristics have got me raped so many times I have no more feelings physically. I have been raped by up to 5 black men and two white men at a time. I've had knifes at my head and throat. I had fought and been beat so hard that I didn't ever think I'd see straight again. One time when I refused to enter a cell, I was brutally attacked by staff and taken to segragation though I had only wanted to prevent the same and worse by not locking up with my cell mate. There is no supervision after lockdown. I was given a conduct report. I explained to the hearing officer what the issue was. He told me that off the record, He suggests I find a man I would/could willingly have sex with to prevent these things from happening. I've requested protective custody only to be denied. It is not available here. He also said there was no where to run to, and it would be best for me to accept things . . . . I probably have AIDS now. I have great difficulty raising food to my mouth from shaking after nightmares or thinking to hard on all this . . . . I've laid down without physical fight to be sodomized. To prevent so much damage in struggles, ripping and tearing. Though in not fighting, it caused my heart and spirit to be raped as well. Something I don't know if I'll ever forgive myself for.
http://www.hrw.org/reports/2001/prison/report.html#_1_2
Why isnt anything done against this?
Couldnt a prisoner sue the prisonsystem for getting aids?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
NASA's space station Robonaut finally getting legs
Free the seed: OSSI nurtures growing plants without patent barriers
Going nuts? Turkey looks to pistachios to heat new eco-city
verty
Feb12-07, 04:47 PM
HW Helper
P: 1,373
The problem is society because people don't want to know, they don't want to be concerned about those who go to prison. Once you're in prison, you're forgotten, supposedly you deserve what you get.

If we can displace our anger at the criminals, we can get around to treating them humanely.
Moridin
Feb12-07, 04:54 PM
P: 858
Quote Quote by verty View Post
The problem is society because people don't want to know, they don't want to be concerned about those who go to prison. Once you're in prison, you're forgotten, supposedly you deserve what you get.

If we can displace our anger at the criminals, we can get around to treating them humanely.
The question is: "How far should humanity go?". They have been sent to jail as a punishment, for breaking a law. They shouldn't be handled with care like fragile goods. It is not the fault of the prison that there is an internal power struggle going on. The person above had been driving under the influence three times! What if he had killed someone you cared about? Would you want the killer to be treated with respect, have as much free time as possible away from the brutal reality of prisons. I sure wouldn't. If you commit a serious crime, you should pay for it, not be rewarded.

verty
Feb12-07, 04:58 PM
HW Helper

Getting raped in jail

How is humane treatment a reward? It defines our humanity, not theirs. Who is worse, the criminal or one who says he (or she) deserves to be raped in prison? This is not about rewards, it's about having the word 'human' mean something.
humanino
Feb12-07, 05:00 PM
P: 2,828
Quote Quote by Moridin View Post
(...) If you commit a serious crime, you should pay for it, not be rewarded.
I thought it would take a little longer before such comments were posted.

Prison is already a very bad idea to deal with people having been the cause of problems to society. There are probably much better means, but not easy to implement.

Would you go as far as stating the following ? This is actually very good a situation, because it makes prison closer to hell, thus frightening people even more to go there. People will then think longer before they commit a crime, because prison is such a horrible punishment.
ray b
Feb12-07, 05:01 PM
P: 428
you can eazly judge a civilzation by the qualitys of its prisons
USA fails this test by a wide margin
scott_alexsk
Feb12-07, 05:04 PM
P: 353
How is that; do you have any proof?

-scott
theCandyman
Feb12-07, 05:09 PM
P: 395
How is humane treatment a reward? It defines our humanity, not theirs.
Well said!
radou
Feb12-07, 05:11 PM
HW Helper
P: 3,225
Quote Quote by humanino View Post
Prison is already a very bad idea to deal with people having been the cause of problems to society. There are probably much better means, but not easy to implement.
...which makes prison a good idea, at least for now.

Quote Quote by humanino View Post
Would you go as far as stating the following ? This is actually very good a situation, because it makes prison closer to hell, thus frightening people even more to go there. People will then think longer before they commit a crime, because prison is such a horrible punishment.
I agree with that.
Moridin
Feb12-07, 05:13 PM
P: 858
How is humane treatment a reward? It defines our humanity, not theirs. Who is worse, the criminal or one says he deserves to be raped in prison? This is not about rewards, it's about having the word 'human' mean something.
Let's start by redefining some basic axioms, shall we?

1. A prison is for containing people that have been sentenced to serve time in prison.
2. A prison is not a reward, but to punish people. People who by society has been deemed to be less humane themselves, as they committed a crime.
3. A prison should constrain the inmates in a sense as keeping them locked up, following certain procedures.
4. Putting someone that has committed a crime behind bars after a conviction is inhumane in the sense that it limits the human rights of the inmate.

In light of the above, your views seems to contradict itself. Should humans be treated inhumane but at the same time be treated humane? Where is the limit?
verty
Feb12-07, 05:42 PM
HW Helper
Prison is to rehabilitate, Moridin. You've assumed what you wanted to show.
Kurdt
Feb12-07, 05:53 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,975
What use is a prison if all it does is disillusion those sent there for punishment about the rules that society purports to uphold? It then perpetuates the problem in as much as the prisoner can feel completely outcast by that society and reoffend in other ways because they have even less respect for it than when they went in.
Cyrus
Feb12-07, 06:00 PM
P: 4,780
Prison is to rehabilitate, Moridin. You've assumed what you wanted to show.
No its not. Its to punish people. Its not a rehab center. I guess he shouldnt have gotten his 3rd DUI.

He deserves what he gets, what an idiot.

These are not the right questions:

Why isnt anything done against this?
Couldnt a prisoner sue the prisonsystem for getting aids?
The right question is, how stupid can you be? I guess the first two DUI's were not a "clue" for him to straighten up.....
verty
Feb12-07, 06:18 PM
HW Helper
Still doesn't excuse it. All these "he should know better" arguments are utterly moot.

And the 'punishment' is a deterrent in the interest of rehabilitation, or at least it should be, insofar as it works and is humane.
humanino
Feb12-07, 06:24 PM
Quote Quote by cyrusabdollahi View Post
He deserves what he gets, what an idiot.
Do you even know what you are talking about ?

How can one claim that, in order for someone to understand that it is not right to drive while under the influence the alcohol, destroying his inner personality is the answer ?

There is something you don't seem to realize : this person commited major mistakes, and instead of being helped, his ability to behave in society is annihilated. Possibly, a stupid young teenager has been turned into a dangerous violent beast. Is this good for society ? This cannot be considered to be the right answer. It simply does not make sens.
Math Is Hard
Feb12-07, 06:34 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,921
Quote Quote by cyrusabdollahi View Post
No its not. Its to punish people. Its not a rehab center. I guess he shouldnt have gotten his 3rd DUI.
I reckon he won't be getting a fourth one.
humanino
Feb12-07, 06:39 PM
But come on, he could have gotten in jail for something less important.
Do you realize that some people get in prison by mistake ?
What if you, although innocent, tomorrow get arrested by mistake, and rapped tomorrow night, knowing that nobody will ever consider you were a victim ?

We cannot accept torture in prison. Torture can only be justified at war times. Then of course, I should not bring that here, because it all depends what you call war...
Quaoar
Feb12-07, 06:43 PM
P: 179
Quote Quote by Moridin View Post
The question is: "How far should humanity go?". They have been sent to jail as a punishment, for breaking a law. They shouldn't be handled with care like fragile goods. It is not the fault of the prison that there is an internal power struggle going on. The person above had been driving under the influence three times! What if he had killed someone you cared about? Would you want the killer to be treated with respect, have as much free time as possible away from the brutal reality of prisons. I sure wouldn't. If you commit a serious crime, you should pay for it, not be rewarded.
Here's a question: What if prison rape wasn't incidental, but part of the punishment the courts handed down? As in, "you drove under the influence 3 times, we hereby sentence you to 10 years in jail and that you be raped 3 times, once for each offense!" Sounds a lot more cruel now, but guess what? It's the same end result as getting randomly raped!

Register to reply