Register to reply

Has anyone given gifts to professors?

by tim_lou
Tags: gifts, professors
Share this thread:
tim_lou
Feb18-07, 01:10 PM
P: 688
Do students usually give gifts to professors after the professor wrote a recommendations or helped the students out? If so what kind of gifts? for physics professors? and for math professors?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Fungus deadly to AIDS patients found to grow on trees
Canola genome sequence reveals evolutionary 'love triangle'
Scientists uncover clues to role of magnetism in iron-based superconductors
FUNKER
Feb18-07, 03:56 PM
P: 122
Beer all the way man
arunma
Feb18-07, 04:02 PM
P: 906
Wait...you mean I was supposed to give my professors gifts after getting my letters of recommendation? Shoot, how much is applying to grad school going to cost me?

Well, I'd better head over to the liquor store.

Schrodinger's Dog
Feb18-07, 04:03 PM
P: 1,136
Has anyone given gifts to professors?

I'm sure the best gift you could give a professor is to learn the subject well and pass with a good grade, anything else is meaningless, do you imagine he/she really cares if you gave him/her an apple in class: pay attention do your best; I'm sure decent professors appreciate results over gold, frankincense and Myrhh.
Dr Transport
Feb18-07, 04:41 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,474
My advisor gets a Christmas card from me every year and I always send him a card and a present for his birthday. After years of working together we are more friends than mentor/mentee.
cristo
Feb18-07, 04:42 PM
Mentor
P: 8,316
I agree with SD. Of course, you should thank the professors who agreed to be your referees, but IMHO there is no need to give gifts. I reckon the best gift you can give is to get your PhD and become a good scientist; that way they know it was worth the reference, and can say "I taught that kid!"
radou
Feb18-07, 05:37 PM
HW Helper
P: 3,220
If you deserved a recommendation, then you needn't give anyone any gifts.
Math Is Hard
Feb18-07, 05:59 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,922
Quote Quote by arunma View Post
Wait...you mean I was supposed to give my professors gifts after getting my letters of recommendation? Shoot, how much is applying to grad school going to cost me?

Well, I'd better head over to the liquor store.
just lost a mouthful of dr. pepper
Serbian.matematika
Feb18-07, 06:10 PM
P: 64
not me, not in Canada!

In the old country they do it.
mathlete
Feb18-07, 07:01 PM
P: 151
I grace them with a new puzzle to decode every week in the form of my homework :D
Manchot
Feb19-07, 06:56 AM
P: 728
Quote Quote by cristo View Post
I agree with SD. Of course, you should thank the professors who agreed to be your referees, but IMHO there is no need to give gifts. I reckon the best gift you can give is to get your PhD and become a good scientist; that way they know it was worth the reference, and can say "I taught that kid!"
Yeah, definitely. I know that my own research advisor likes to brag excessively about his former students.
Ki Man
Feb19-07, 08:25 AM
P: 555
i'm still in high school and my classmates are constantly getting new dry-erases pens for my teachers. maybe your professor will want something more elegant like... oh i dont know... a tablet pc?
J77
Feb19-07, 08:26 AM
P: 1,157
Quote Quote by mathlete View Post
I grace them with a new puzzle to decode every week in the form of my homework :D
Handwriting problem?
FUNKER
Feb19-07, 04:48 PM
P: 122
Quote Quote by J77 View Post
Handwriting problem?
hahah crab hands
mattmns
Feb19-07, 05:02 PM
P: 1,123
Quote Quote by FUNKER View Post
Beer all the way man
My math adviser would love your idea
turbo
Feb19-07, 05:10 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
My professor in first-year German was the department head. He and a few other department heads at my college insisted on teaching the introductory courses. He had a good friend in the import business in NYC, and at the end of the year, well-motivated students were invited to his place for party, with more varieties and brands of German beer than you could shake a stick at, and lots of great German food, cheeses, etc. The trick was if you found a beer that was fabulous, you might have to search through hundreds of bottles to find another bottle of it. And yes, during the Vietnam war the drinking age was lowered to 18 because it was considered that if you were old enough to vote and old enough to get drafted in time of war, you probably were old enough to drink.

He was a nice guy and the only gift I gave him was to try to do my best.
Moonbear
Feb19-07, 08:22 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,270
Writing recommendation letters is something we consider part of our job. Just saying "thank-you" and sharing with us the good news when you get acceptances is all that's necessary. In fact, gifts might be perceived as bribery, so probably aren't such a good idea. Now, if you worked with someone more closely, for example, your senior thesis advisor, then a small gift of thanks at the end would be okay, but still not at all required or expected.

Register to reply