Calculating Current in Parallel Circuits: A Guide for Scientists

In summary, to solve for the current in each resistor in a parallel circuit, you can use the current divider rule which requires finding the total current in the circuit. This rule is used when resistances are hooked up in parallel with each other. The formula for finding current changes slightly when there are more than two resistances in the circuit, but the general concept remains the same. The voltage drop across any resistor in a parallel circuit is equal to that of the source, and the current through any parallel resistor is determined by the ratio of the total resistance to the individual resistance multiplied by the total current.
map7s
This is just a general question... when trying to solve for the current in each resistor in a parallel circuit, how do you go about setting it up? (I know that the equation V=IR comes in handy...)

Physics news on Phys.org
You could use the current divider rule. That would require you to find the total current in the circuit. Whats wrong with using V=IR?

What is the current divider rule?

Its used to find current when resistances are hooked up in parallel with each other. Here is a wiki picture that should clear things up for you:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/47/Cdr.GIF

Last edited by a moderator:
That really helped! But if the circuit has three branches in parallel, does the formula change to I1=Itotal x ((R2+R3)/(R1+R2+R3)) ?

It changes a little when we have more than two resistances. Let's consider a circuit with three parallel branches. We know that the voltage drop across any resistor in a parallel circuit is equal to that of the source:

[tex] I_x = \frac{V_s}{R_x}[/tex]

[tex]V_s = I_TR_T[/tex] <--the source voltage is equal to the total current times the total resistance.

Now substituting [itex]I_TR_T[/itex] for Vs in the first equation (Ix).

[tex]I_x = \frac{I_TR_T}{R_x}[/tex]

We can therefore conclude that the current through any parallel resistor is in fact:
[tex]I_x = \frac{R_T}{R_x}\cdot I_T[/tex]

Hope it helps/

What is the definition of current in parallel circuits?

The current in parallel circuits is the flow of electric charge through multiple paths in a circuit. It is measured in amperes (A) and is the same at every point in a parallel circuit.

How is the total current calculated in a parallel circuit?

The total current in a parallel circuit is calculated by adding up the individual currents in each branch of the circuit. This is because the current in a parallel circuit splits up and flows through each branch separately, before joining back together at the end.

Does the voltage affect the current in a parallel circuit?

No, the voltage does not affect the current in a parallel circuit. The current is determined by the resistance and the voltage in each branch, but the total voltage in a parallel circuit is the same across all branches.

What happens to the current in a parallel circuit if one branch is removed?

If one branch is removed in a parallel circuit, the total current will decrease. This is because the total resistance in the circuit increases, resulting in a decrease in the total current flow.

How does the current in a parallel circuit compare to the current in a series circuit?

The current in a parallel circuit is different from the current in a series circuit. In a series circuit, the current is the same at every point, whereas in a parallel circuit, the current splits up and flows through each branch separately, resulting in a different current in each branch.