Need help with a calculus problem?

• Thread starter dontdisturbmycircles
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, if you are struggling with a calculus problem, it is important to seek help from a tutor or classmate. They can provide guidance and clarification on the concepts and equations involved, allowing you to better understand and solve the problem. Additionally, utilizing online resources and practice problems can also aid in improving your calculus skills. Remember to break the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts and to approach it with patience and determination. With the right tools and support, you can overcome any calculus challenge.
dontdisturbmycircles
Try http://www.mathcasts.org/db_calc/main_view.php .

I just did a google search for a specific type of problem I was struggling with and this website helped a lot. I can't guarantee that all the videos are accurate, but there are lots of them(note that there are 6 pages) and they seem fine to me.

Enjoy. :smile:

Find the topic you are interested in and click "mathcast".

Even though they are geared towards a specific textbook, its all the same stuff so if you are stuck on an topic, you may be able to find info about it here.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Some of the links are dead.

Thanks and links fixed

Thanks dontdisturbmycircles for the kind words about the mathcasts and thanks minase for noticing the dead links - which hopefully are now fixed! LFS

Dear god, she did a problem with a constant voltage ('electric pressure')

What the...'electric pressure'.....sigh...

Systems Dynamics

Cyrus:

In Systems Dynamics 101, any system can be described using equations whereby an EFFORT variable induces a FLOW variable. These equations are usually only to 2nd order (2nd derivative.)

Some examples: Electrical voltage induces a current; current is affected by resistance. Pressure difference induces fluid flow -- which is affected by pipe friction. Temperature difference induces heat transfer -- which is affected by insulation. Difference of forces induces motion -- which is affected by rolling (or sliding) friction. Similarly for rotational momentum systems, diffusion systems, or any other system.

Make a chart of these various systems, their effort and flow variables and the governing equations for each. You will understand what she meant by "electrical pressure." BTW, it is common to use fluid flow analogies to describe electrical systems, and vice versa.

1. What is calculus and why is it important?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of changes and processes. It is important because it provides a mathematical framework for understanding and describing real-world phenomena, and it is the foundation for many scientific and engineering fields.

2. How do I know if I need help with a calculus problem?

If you are struggling to understand a concept or solve a problem in calculus, it is a good indication that you may need help. It is important to seek help early on to avoid falling behind and to ensure a strong understanding of the subject.

3. Where can I find help with a calculus problem?

There are many resources available for help with calculus problems, such as online tutoring services, study groups, and office hours with your professor or TA. You can also use online forums and websites that provide explanations and practice problems.

4. How can I improve my understanding of calculus?

Practice is key to improving your understanding of calculus. Make sure to do the assigned homework and practice problems, and seek help whenever you are stuck. Additionally, try to understand the underlying concepts rather than just memorizing formulas.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid in calculus?

Some common mistakes in calculus include mixing up notation, not checking for extraneous solutions, and not simplifying expressions completely. It is important to pay attention to detail and always double-check your work to avoid these mistakes.