How can the integral of the square root of t squared plus 9 be evaluated?

In summary, the student is having difficulty integrating a homework equation involving ln functions. They are trying to do something similar to this but are not having much luck. They have found substitutions for both \sinh ^2 and \cosh ^2 but are not sure if it is a better way to simplify the equation.
Aerosion

Homework Statement

[tex]\int \sqrt{t^2+9}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Apparently you can't solve this equation as you would [tex]\int \sqrt{t+9}[/tex], which would come out to [tex]\frac{2(t+9)^3/2 }{3}[/tex].

Instead, my calculator is getting this extremely complicated answer involving ln functions, and therefore I don't know how to integrate this.

I know I'm not giving much to go on as far as an attempt on a solution is concerned, but I really don't have a definite way to begin, and I need to know how to evaluate this.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Trig sub...

Think of a right triangle with one side length sqrt(9) and the other t. Pick correct sides so the radical in the integral represent something that makes sense (hypotenuse in this case). Oh ya, what would dt be?

Its a fatal error when you don't include your differential.

[tex]\int \sqrt{t^2+9} dt[/tex]!

By trig sub, let t=3tan x

Only problem is, then you have [tex]9\int \sec^3 x dx[/tex] Left to integrate, which I can't do.

To integrate the integral of (sec(x))^3 dx you'd need to factor out a sec(x) and use integration by parts letting u = sec (x) and dv = (sec(x))^2 dx. Using some simple trig manipulation you should be able to evaluate the integral. If not, let me know.

Perhaps a more straight forward substutition would be let t=sinh(x), hardly any manipulation required and no integration by parts.

Make that [itex] t=3\sinh x [/itex] plus using the formula

[tex] \cosh^2 x =\frac{\cosh 2x +1}{2} [/tex]

dextercioby said:
Make that [itex] t=3\sinh x [/itex] plus using the formula

[tex] \cosh^2 t =\frac{\cosh 2t +1}{2} [/tex]
Oops, forgot the factor of three, good catch dexter :rolleyes:

I hate to dig this back up, but I'm trying to do something similar to this, and I'm not having much luck. I don't know if it's because I'm not that familiar with hyperbolic trig functions or just rusty on integration.

Using the trig substitution suggested with the equation provided, I get this:
[tex]\int \sqrt{ (3 \sinh ( x ) ) ^2+9 } (3 \cosh (x) ) dx [/tex]

From there, I can get it down to
[tex]9 \int \sqrt{ \cosh ^2 (x) \sinh ^2 (x) + \cosh ^2 (x)} dx [/tex]

From there, I'm at a bit of a loss. I've been looking at some hyperbolic trig identities, but haven't found anything that really looks helpful. Did I multiply something out incorrectly or something stupid like that?

Sorry if the equations above don't work - I've been trying to get them to register as LaTeX, but it's not working.

Last edited:
Okay, scratch that. After finding substitutions for both [itex]\sinh ^2[/itex] and [itex]\cosh ^2[/itex], I got this:

[tex]\frac{9}{2} \int \cosh (2x) + 1 dx[/tex]

If I remember my rules correctly (and I'm not doing anything stupid), this is

[tex]\frac{9}{4} \sinh (2x) + x[/tex]

Is there a better way to simplify this than

[tex]\frac{9}{4} 2 \sinh (\sinh ^{-1}(t/3)) \cosh (\sinh ^{-1}(t/3)) + \sinh ^{-1}(t/3)[/tex]

1. What is the concept of integration with square root?

Integration with square root is a mathematical process used to find the area under a curve that includes a square root function. It is a type of indefinite integral, where the integral involves a variable inside the square root.

2. How is integration with square root different from regular integration?

The main difference between integration with square root and regular integration is that the former involves a square root function, which makes the integration more complex. It requires the use of specific techniques, such as substitution and integration by parts, to solve the integral.

3. What are the common techniques used in integration with square root?

The most commonly used techniques in integration with square root include substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions. These techniques help simplify the integral and make it easier to solve.

4. Are there any special cases in integration with square root?

Yes, there are some special cases in integration with square root, such as when the integral involves a rational function with a square root in the denominator. In this case, the technique of completing the square can be used to simplify the integral.

5. How can integration with square root be applied in real-life situations?

Integration with square root has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, it can be used to calculate the work done by a variable force, the center of mass of a curved object, or the average value of a function over a given interval.