Calculate the energy of the laser photons

In summary: Then use Speed = Wavelength x Frequency to figure out the wavelength. The work function is the minimum amount of energy needed for an electron to escape from the metal. For part (c), what is the speed of light in kilohertz?
CathyLou
Hiya.

I'm really stuck on the following questions and so any help would be really appeciated.

(a) A laser produces light of wavelength 632nm. Calculate the energy of the laser photons.

Speed = Wavelength x Frequency

3 x 108 = 632 x 10^-9 x f

f = 4.75 x 10^14 Hz

E = hf

E = 6.6 x 10^-34 x 4.75 x 10^14

E = 3.14 x 10^-19 J

(b) The laser has a power output of 100Mw. Calculate the number of photons released each second.

Thank you.

Cathy

Physics news on Phys.org
A Megawatt is a million watts.

A million watts is a million Joules per second.

You know how much energy each photon has...

:wink:

H_man said:
A Megawatt is a million watts.

A million watts is a million Joules per second.

You know how much energy each photon has...

:wink:

Okay. So, is the answer 3.18 x 10^24 photons per second?

Thanks for your help. :smile:

Cathy

I'm not sure how to do this one either. Could someone please help?

The photoelectric work function of a metal is 3eV and light with energy 5eV is shone onto the metal surface.

(a) Calculate the wavelength of a photon with energy 5eV.

(b) Calculate the maximum kinetic energy of the emitted photoelectrons, giving your answer in joules.

Thank you.

Cathy

The answer you calculated to your first question looks fine though I don't have a calculator to hand.

1)For part (a), perhaps you can tell me what is an electron volt?

2)For part (b)... what is the work function a measure of?

I know from the previous question that you already have the equations and knowledge to solve this if you can answer my 2 questions.

H_man said:
The answer you calculated to your first question looks fine though I don't have a calculator to hand.

1)For part (a), perhaps you can tell me what is an electron volt?

2)For part (b)... what is the work function a measure of?

I know from the previous question that you already have the equations and knowledge to solve this if you can answer my 2 questions.

1 eV is the energy transferred when an electron moves between two points separated by a p.d. of 1 V.

So, would I use E = hf to find the frequency, (where E = 5), and then use Speed = Wavelength x Frequency to find the wavelength?

The work function is the least amount of energy needed for an electron to escape from the surface of the metal.

Would I use hf = work function + Ek for this part?

Thanks for your help.

Cathy

CathyLou said:
1 eV is the energy transferred when an electron moves between two points separated by a p.d. of 1 V.

So, would I use E = hf to find the frequency, (where E = 5), and then use Speed = Wavelength x Frequency to find the wavelength?
E = 5 eV. (Don't leave off the units!) You may have to convert to standard energy units--Joules--when you calculate the frequency. 1 eV = ? Joules? (Look it up!)

Otherwise: Looks good!

The work function is the least amount of energy needed for an electron to escape from the surface of the metal.

Would I use hf = work function + Ek for this part?
You got it.

Doc Al said:
E = 5 eV. (Don't leave off the units!) You may have to convert to standard energy units--Joules--when you calculate the frequency. 1 eV = ? Joules? (Look it up!)

Otherwise: Looks good!

You got it.

Okay. Thanks very much.

Cathy

I'm also really struggling with the following questions and so would really appreciate any help.

The minimum wavelength of light that causes emission of photoelectron from a metal surface is 5 x 10-7.

(a) Calculate a value for the work function of the metal in joules and electron volts.

(b) Calculate the maximum kinetic energy of the photoelectrons released from the same metal surface if light of 4.5 x 10-7m were shone onto it.

The work functions of potassium, sodium and zinc are 1.81Ev, 2.28eV and 4.31eV respectively.

(a) Which of these metals when irradiated by incident light of frequency 6 x 1014 Hz would emit photoelectrons? Justify your answer.

(b) Calculate the maximum kinetic energies of the electrons emitted.

(c) Calculate the speed of the electrons emitted ignoring relativistic effects. What % of the speed of light is this?

Thank you.

Cathy

You've already used the key relationship that applies here (in post #6), so give these a shot.

I've figured out the anwers for the other questions but I'm still really stuck on this one. Any help would be really appreciated.

4. The work functions of potassium, sodium and zinc are 1.81Ev, 2.28eV and 4.31eV respectively.

(a) Which of these metals when irradiated by incident light of frequency 6 x 1014 Hz would emit photoelectrons? Justify your answer.

(b) Calculate the maximum kinetic energies of the electrons emitted.

(c) Calculate the speed of the electrons emitted ignoring relativistic effects. What % of the speed of light is this?

Thank you. :smile:

Cathy

Again, it's the same relationship that you used before (at least for parts a and b). Start by figuring out the energy of a 6e14 Hz photon. Then compare that to the given work functions.

Doc Al said:
Again, it's the same relationship that you used before (at least for parts a and b). Start by figuring out the energy of a 6e14 Hz photon. Then compare that to the given work functions.

Okay. Thanks for your help.

Cathy

Hi !
My name is Dave I live in York. U.k. I am only a Particle Extraction Technician (Cleaner).
I read that the Universe is expanding outward at 3000 kilometres per second. What bugs me is Einsteine said that the speed of light is constant, I was told that if you shone a torch at the front of a craft traveling at the speed of light, the torch beam will not be emitted. Should we not be adding the speed of the universe traveling at the speed of 3000 kps. to the speed of Light?...

1. What is the formula for calculating the energy of laser photons?

The formula for calculating the energy of laser photons is E = hf, where E is the energy, h is Planck's constant, and f is the frequency of the laser.

2. How do I determine the frequency of a laser?

The frequency of a laser can be determined by dividing the speed of light by the wavelength of the laser. This can be measured using a spectrometer or by referencing the laser's specifications.

3. Can the energy of laser photons be changed?

Yes, the energy of laser photons can be changed by adjusting the frequency or wavelength of the laser. This can be done by altering the laser's components or using specialized filters.

4. What units are used to measure the energy of laser photons?

The energy of laser photons is typically measured in joules (J) or electron volts (eV). Other units such as kilojoules (kJ) or megaelectron volts (MeV) may also be used, depending on the scale of the energy being measured.

5. Can the energy of laser photons be calculated for all types of lasers?

Yes, the formula for calculating the energy of laser photons applies to all types of lasers, including gas, solid-state, and semiconductor lasers. However, the specific values for frequency and energy may vary depending on the type of laser being used.