2D Fermi Gas: Find Density of States

In summary, the conversation discusses the attempted solution to finding the density of states for a 2D electron gas, utilizing concepts from solid state physics notes. The solution involves assuming the gas is confined to a specific area and using polar coordinates to convert the density of states as a function of energy. The final result is that the Fermi energy for the 2D gas is independent of temperature.
cepheid
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Although I have some major conceptual problems with the Fermi gas as treated in my solid state physics notes (see this thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=161222, I have attempted to solve this homework problem in an analogous manner to the solution for the 3D Fermi gas given in the notes, ignoring these conceptual hangups.

Homework Statement

Find the density of states for a 2D electron gas.

Homework Equations

See attempted solution below

The Attempt at a Solution

Assume that in real space the gas is confined to an area

[tex] A = l_xl_y [/tex]

Write the components of the electron wavevector in terms of the respective principle quantum numbers:

[tex] k_x = \frac{2\pi}{l_x}n_x \ \ \ \ k_y = \frac{2\pi}{l_y}n_y [/tex]

Therefore the number of states associated with an element [itex] d^2\mathbf{k} [/itex] is (supposedly)

[tex] 2dn_xdn_y = \frac{A}{4\pi^2}2dk_xdk_y [/tex]

Again, in an analogous way to what was done in the notes in 3D, I switch to polar coordinates, so that I can get the density of states as a function of [itex] k = |\mathbf{k}| [/itex].

# of states between k and k + dk

[tex] Z(k)dk = \frac{A}{4\pi^2}2(2 \pi k dk) [/tex]

Change variables to convert Z(k) to D(E), the density of states as a function of energy.

[tex] E = \frac{\hbar^2k^2}{2m} \Rightarrow dE = \frac{\hbar^2}{2m}2kdk \Rightarrow dk = \frac{m}{\hbar^2 k}dE [/tex]

[tex] D(E)dE = \frac{A}{4\pi^2} 2(2 \pi k) \frac{m}{\hbar^2 k}dE = \frac{Am}{\pi \hbar^2} dE [/tex]

[tex] \Rightarrow D(E) = \textrm{const.} = \frac{Am}{\pi \hbar^2} [/tex]

This result is drastically different from the 3D case, and later on in the same problem, it leads me to the conclusion that the Fermi energy is independent of temperature for the 2D gas. Is this solution correct, or have I made some egregious error somewhere?

Physics news on Phys.org
*bump for this thread

Yes, your derivation and final result are correct.

1. What is a 2D Fermi gas?

A 2D Fermi gas is a theoretical model of a gas made up of fermionic particles (particles with half-integer spin) confined to two dimensions. It is often used in condensed matter physics to study the properties of materials at low temperatures.

2. How is the density of states calculated for a 2D Fermi gas?

The density of states for a 2D Fermi gas can be calculated using the formula D(E) = (m/2πħ2)A-1/2E1/2, where m is the mass of the particles, ħ is the reduced Planck's constant, and A is the area of the system. This formula gives the number of available states per unit energy interval at a given energy E.

3. What is the significance of the density of states in a 2D Fermi gas?

The density of states is an important quantity in understanding the behavior of particles in a 2D Fermi gas. It provides information about the number of available energy states for the particles and can be used to calculate other important quantities such as the specific heat and conductivity.

4. How does the density of states change with temperature in a 2D Fermi gas?

In a 2D Fermi gas, the density of states increases with temperature. This is because at higher temperatures, there is more thermal energy available for the particles, leading to an increase in the number of available energy states.

5. How does the density of states change with particle density in a 2D Fermi gas?

The density of states is inversely proportional to the particle density in a 2D Fermi gas. This means that as the number of particles in the system increases, the density of states decreases. This relationship is important in understanding the behavior of the gas at different densities and can be used to calculate the Fermi energy and Fermi temperature of the system.