Please help me with this problem (charged conducting cylinder)

In summary, the electric field at a distance of 0.192 cm from the center of a charged conducting sphere is 445 N/C. The electric field at a distance of 0.212 cm from the axis of a very long charged conducting cylinder is 445 N/C. The electric field at a distance of 0.192 cm from a large uniform sheet of charge is 445 N/C.
weskerq8

Homework Statement

Part A:
At a distance of 0.192 cm from the center of a charged conducting sphere with radius 0.100 cm, the electric field is 445 N/C. What is the electric field 0.614 cm from the center of the sphere?

Part B :
At a distance of 0.212 cm from the axis of a very long charged conducting cylinder with radius 0.100 cm, the electric field is 445 N/C. What is the electric field 0.590 cm from the axis of the cylinder?

Part C :
At a distance of 0.192 cm from a large uniform sheet of charge, the electric field is 445 N/C. What is the electric field 1.35 cm from the sheet?

Homework Equations

sorry guys but i don't know anything at physics :frown: i am bad at it

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to show some work before we can help you with your homework questions.

I'm going to be a little bit nicer than Cristo, and say use Gauss' Law. The first one you can use[itex] E = \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon} \frac{Q}{r^2} [/itex], it should give the same answer as the answer obtained from Gauss' law. The other two I think will need Gauss' law.

There are two reasons for asking that the student shows his work; firstly, to gauge whether he has put any effort into thinking about the question, and secondly to identify his level of expertise which will assist us in composing an answer. For example, does th OP know how to derive the expression you give (which is Gauss' law on the sphere) from the general form of Gauss' Law?

I am not telling him/her the answer, I am simply saying how it could be done, and so I haven't done the question for them at all, they still need to do it, and secondly, if the OP doesn't know what gauss' law is then they can ask, and hence learn, either way I am pointing them in the right direction, but certainly not doing the problem for them.

P.S. By the way the OP said that they had no idea I'm assuming that they do not have any original mathematics, and so don't know where to start, it is for that reason that I said use gauss' law.

Gauss's law has nothing to do with this problem, unfortunately.

To the OP: What is the relationship between distance and magnitude of the electric field?

Hint: It is the same as the relationship between sound intensity and distance from the source. Look up "inverse square rule".

1. What is a charged conducting cylinder?

A charged conducting cylinder is a type of cylinder-shaped object made of a conducting material, such as metal, that has a net electric charge. This means that there is an imbalance of positive and negative charges on the surface of the cylinder, causing it to have an electric field around it.

2. How is the electric field of a charged conducting cylinder calculated?

The electric field of a charged conducting cylinder can be calculated using the formula E = Q / (2πε0h), where Q is the charge on the cylinder, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, and h is the height of the cylinder. This formula assumes that the cylinder is infinitely long and has a uniform charge distribution.

3. What is the difference between a charged conducting cylinder and a charged insulating cylinder?

A charged conducting cylinder has a net electric charge and allows charges to move freely within it, while a charged insulating cylinder does not have a net charge and does not allow charges to move easily. Additionally, the electric field of a charged conducting cylinder is mostly on the surface, while the electric field of a charged insulating cylinder can extend into the space around it.

4. How does the electric field of a charged conducting cylinder change with distance?

The electric field of a charged conducting cylinder decreases with distance from the cylinder, following an inverse relationship. This means that the electric field is strongest closest to the surface of the cylinder and gets weaker as you move further away.

5. How does the charge distribution on a charged conducting cylinder affect its electric field?

The charge distribution on a charged conducting cylinder can affect its electric field in two ways. First, a uniform charge distribution will result in a constant electric field around the cylinder. Second, a non-uniform charge distribution, such as having more charge on one end of the cylinder than the other, can result in an uneven or non-uniform electric field around the cylinder.