Register to reply

Why the sun/moon looks bigger at the sunset/rise?

by pixel01
Tags: bigger, sun or moon, sunset or rise
Share this thread:
pixel01
Mar23-07, 11:24 AM
P: 691
May be this is an old question. Some teachers explained to me that is because of illusion. Anyway I feel not so sure about that. Can anyone explain this phenomenon scientifically.
Phys.Org News Partner Astronomy news on Phys.org
Witnessing the early growth of a giant
Orion rocks: Pebble-size particles may jump-start planet formation
Astronomers find evidence of water clouds in brown dwarf atmosphere
neutrino
Mar23-07, 11:31 AM
P: 2,046
These articles have some info
http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/misc/moonbig.html
http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/3d/moonillu.htm (this link is also available in the first article - make sure you read the discalimer)
mathman
Mar23-07, 04:18 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 6,066
My own experience is that it is an illusion. If you lie on your back and look straight up, things (clouds, sun, moon) appear bigger than when you are standing up and looking up.

interested_learner
Mar23-07, 08:22 PM
P: 214
Why the sun/moon looks bigger at the sunset/rise?

To convince yourself that it is an illusion is easy. When the moon is full, on the horizon and looks large, put your thumb out at arms length and you will note that your thumb covers the moon. Do it again when the moon is high.

You will note that thumb covers the moon the same no matter how big or small it looks. This means that it has to be an illusion because an experiment (your thumb) confirmed that the moon is the small size in both cases. Why that is so is another question which I don't know.
Flying Penguin
Mar27-07, 08:35 AM
P: 22
In the middle of the sky your eyes have no reference points for size.
neutrino
Mar27-07, 08:52 AM
P: 2,046
Quote Quote by Flying Penguin View Post
In the middle of the sky your eyes have no reference points for size.
That is exactly what it is not. Read the first link in my earlier post.

Bad Astronomy: The Moon appears larger on the horizon than overhead because you are comparing it to foreground objects.
russ_watters
Mar27-07, 10:22 AM
Mentor
P: 22,294
The link the BA provides is interesting: http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/3d/moonillu.htm

It doesn't give a difinitive answer, but suggests it is partly due to a number of different illusions. The primary one, however, seems to be based on our inner ear's and eye's ability to distinguish vertical angles. Most people don't realize it because they don't know how high objects actually are, but people tend to overestimate the altitude of low objects in the sky. Because of this, we percieve the dome of the sky to be stretched at low altitude (the sky dome illusion).

Register to reply