Indefinite Integration by u-sub/trig sub

In summary, the conversation discusses strategies for solving the integral of (x^3)sqrt(1-x^2), including using trigonometric substitution and u substitution. The final solution involves substituting x=sin theta and using the substitution u=cos theta to simplify the integral.
wick3dgt

Homework Statement

Integrate (x^3)sqrt(1-x^2)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I used trig. substitution along with u substitution and came up with (x^4)/4 +C which I know is wrong. My professor gave the answer -(((3x^2)+2)((1-x^2)^(3/2)))/15 . Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org

Homework Statement

Integrate (x^3)sqrt(1-x^2)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I used trig. substitution along with u substitution and came up with (x^4)/4 +C which I know is wrong. My professor gave the answer -(((3x^2)+2)((1-x^2)^(3/2)))/15 . Please help!

Is there a special restriction in the question that says you can't use integration by parts?

The substitution you want is u=1-x^2. One x from the x^3 will then be used to create the du leaving x^2 but then you'll remember that x^2=1-u. Try it, you'll like it!

Which substitution? x=sin theta should work fine.

Ok I worked through it for you.
[tex]\int \frac{x^3}{\sqrt{1-x^2}} dx[/tex]
x=sin theta
dx=cos theta d(theta)
[tex]\int \frac{x^3}{\sqrt{1-x^2}} dx = \int \sin^3 \theta d\theta[/tex]
[tex]=\int \sin^2 \theta \cdot \sin \theta d\theta = \int (1-\cos^2 \theta)\sin \theta d\theta = \int \sin \theta d\theta - \int \cos^2 \theta \sin \theta d\theta[/tex]

First integral is just -cos theta, 2nd integral is simple with u=cos theta. Easy as pi.

Yep - I get the Prof's result too.

First substitution: [tex]u= x^2[/tex]

Second substition: let [tex]v^2 = 1-u[/tex]

You should wind up with an integral of:

I = [tex]\int (v^4-v^2) dv[/tex]

Last edited:
Gib Z said:
Ok I worked through it for you.
[tex]\int \frac{x^3}{\sqrt{1-x^2}} dx[/tex]
x=sin theta
dx=cos theta d(theta)
[tex]\int \frac{x^3}{\sqrt{1-x^2}} dx = \int \sin^3 \theta d\theta[/tex]
[tex]=\int \sin^2 \theta \cdot \sin \theta d\theta = \int (1-\cos^2 \theta)\sin \theta d\theta = \int \sin \theta d\theta - \int \cos^2 \theta \sin \theta d\theta[/tex]

First integral is just -cos theta, 2nd integral is simple with u=cos theta. Easy as pi.
Only if it were that simple. The radical is in the numerator. :wink:

I can't read. Kill me. I'll get another solution for you tomorrow then, for the right problem :P

Ok actually no problem either way.
Same substitution, x=sin theta
dx= cos theta d(theta)

[tex]\int x^3 \sqrt{1-x^2} dx = \int \sin^3 \theta \cos^2 \theta d\theta = \int \sin \theta (1-\cos^2 \theta)\cos^2 \theta d\theta = \int (\cos^2 \theta - \cos^4 \theta) \sin \theta d\theta[/tex] Which is very simple with the easy substitution, u=cos x.

EDIT: Rewritten in the form [tex]\int (\cos^4 \theta - \cos^2 \theta) (-\sin \theta) d\theta[/tex] it becomes what TheoMcCloskey said it would be.

Last edited:
But as Dick and ThomasMcCloskey (indirectly) said, The substitution u= 1-x2 is simpler.

1. What is u-substitution in indefinite integration?

U-substitution is a technique used in indefinite integration to simplify integrals by substituting a variable, usually denoted as u, with a more manageable expression. It allows for the integration of complex functions by essentially "undoing" the chain rule.

2. When is u-substitution used in indefinite integration?

U-substitution is typically used when the integrand contains a composition of functions, such as f(g(x)), where g(x) is a simpler function. By substituting u for g(x), the integral can be rewritten in terms of u and then easily solved.

3. What is the process for u-substitution in indefinite integration?

The process for u-substitution involves the following steps:

1. Identify a suitable u value, usually a simpler function within the integrand
  2. Calculate du/dx, the derivative of u with respect to x
  3. Replace all instances of g(x) with u and dx with du in the integral
  4. Integrate the new expression in terms of u
  5. Substitute back in the original variable x

4. What is the difference between u-substitution and trigonometric substitution in indefinite integration?

U-substitution involves substituting a simpler function for a variable in the integrand, while trigonometric substitution involves substituting a trigonometric expression for a variable. Trigonometric substitution is typically used when the integrand contains algebraic expressions and square roots, while u-substitution can be used for a wider range of functions.

5. How do I know when to use u-substitution or trigonometric substitution in indefinite integration?

The choice between u-substitution and trigonometric substitution ultimately depends on the form of the integrand and which substitution will result in a simpler integral. In general, u-substitution is preferred when the integrand contains algebraic expressions, while trigonometric substitution is more suitable for integrals involving trigonometric functions.