PF Upgrade: Fixing Annoying Bugs & Layout Errors

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, the new version of our forum software is out and it's beautiful! This weekend I will start planning for the upgrade and I hope to start either Monday or Tuesday. During the upgrade the forums will be done and you'll find the site password protected. I'm not entirely sure how long the upgrade will take, however along with the upgrade we will be reinstalling the LaTeX hack and a few other hacks I am excited about. Just think, all the annoying bugs and terrible layout errors will be fixed!
The option to be invisible is gone.

We can't customize avatars anymore either? I didn't see an option for it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Evo said:
The option to be invisible is gone.

We can't customize avatars anymore either? I didn't see an option for it.

As you already have seen I am setting up to offer paid memberships, which will include certain perks :smile:

As you already have seen I am setting up to offer paid memberships, which will include certain perks

The perks are features you ripped away from under the "free" users' noses? :frown:

Dagenais said:
The perks are features you ripped away from under the "free" users' noses? :frown:

Some yes, some no. Ripped away eh? Nice drama touch

Greg Bernhardt said:
As you already have seen I am setting up to offer paid memberships, which will include certain perks :smile:
I had a sneaking suspiscion that was what you had in mind.

Very clever!

wtf? avatars and sigs will have to be paid for? that's just wrong.

Gara said:
wtf? avatars and sigs will have to be paid for? that's just wrong.

I'm sorry you feel this way. If you enjoy and appreciate PF you'll sign up for the paid memberships. Give back to your community, the fees will be about as much as a bag of chips per month.

Can we at least keep the avatars? I recognize most people by looking at their avatar, that's how I remember who Doc Al, Monique, Chroot, Hurkyl, HallsofIvy, Zero, russ_watters, enigma, Phobos, and Chen are.

It may seem dictatorial or unjust, but you have to consider the other side of the equation. PF does not exist in a vacuum; it needs funding to continue to exist, and the money pulled in from the banner ads does not cover it. The prices being discussed are not prohibitive in any sense. If you badly want an avatar and signature, you can pay a small, essentially negligible fee and in the process contribute to the continued existence of PF; if not, you can still disucss ideas, share information and the like without paying.

In an ideal world perhaps it would not be like this, but the fact of the matter is that there are financial requirements that need to be met in some way or another. The idea is to ensure that these requirements are met while not sacrificing the spirit of free discourse. For this reason I think it is entirely reasonable that peripheral features such as avatars and signatures, which are attractive and nice but which nonetheless are not essential to the basic workings of the site, require a small fee. It makes one more likely to offer badly needed financial support to PF while at the same time not making the cost of refusing to pay prohibitive.

Yeah, uh how is this paying thing going to work cos i know a lot of you are in USA but what about your foreign visitors?. I feel so regular. A "registered user" with no Va Va Voom...dont take that away from me Greg! Oh yeah, colour scheme is brightish, quite pleasing to the eye, it will take some getting used to however. Congrats

edit...oh wait, I am still Chopnik. WOOT!

VA VA VOOM!

jimmy p said:
edit...oh wait, I am still Chopnik. WOOT!

VA VA VOOM!
You'll ALWAYS be Chopnik! :wink:
I notice there are no signatures anymore, either. Will these be among the 'paid member only' items?

Why does the Quick Reply give you the option to 'quote message in reply' but NOT LET YOU CLICK IT? And whose message would be quoted if we WERE allowed to click it? I realize it's kind of a moot point, but I was just curious.

Tsunami said:
Why does the Quick Reply give you the option to 'quote message in reply' but NOT LET YOU CLICK IT? And whose message would be quoted if we WERE allowed to click it? I realize it's kind of a moot point, but I was just curious.

Yes. And see that icon next to the quote button for each thread? Click that and then proceed to the quick reply, the checkbox will be enabled.

i know a place like this has to make money in some way.

it just makes Gara sad :(

The payment structure that Greg is proposing here is one that I've seen work successfully on a number of other forums. It's the fairest way to deal with it, IMO. Not having a custom avatar does not make the site any less useful to you -- you're really paying the fee not to use pf, but to support it. The custom avatar and so on is just a perk.

- Warren

I'm sorry you feel this way. If you enjoy and appreciate PF you'll sign up for the paid memberships. Give back to your community, the fees will be about as much as a bag of chips per month.

But I don't have the money!

I must have my Montreal Canadiens logo!

Ripped away eh? Nice drama touch

Thanks, I'm working on my writing :rolleyes:

Last edited:
So, when do we get to sign up & pay and get all the spiffy perks?

Have you considered accepting Western Union money transfers? Just about anyone in the world can pay cash & have it sent to you. It's much more wide spread than Paypal. Paypal is also limited to credit cards and bank transfers.

okay.

1) through donations, PF is secure, and not in any great need for money.
2) a bag of crisps per month is about 30p.

this is just stupid. the action of paying such a tiny amount outweighs the amount you are paying!

Gara said:
okay.

this is just stupid. the action of paying such a tiny amount outweighs the amount you are paying!
Feel free to give more.. in the past there have been members who have donated to this forum, which keeps it up and running for everyone to enjoy. It should be the bussiness of everyone who enjoys the forums to chip in a few cents. If one doesn't have the means or the feeling to donate, you'd still be able to enjoy and participate in all the discussions.. sounds fair.

This new layout is already starting to grow on me :cool: so who made the new PF banner and what does the equation stand for? It looks really good! :biggrin:

Gara said:
okay.

Ok Gara just for you the membership will be $100 :biggrin:

This new layout is already starting to grow on me so who made the new PF banner and what does the equation stand for? It looks really good!

I made the banner :smile: I don't know what the equation stands for, just thought it looked good there :redface:

Greg Bernhardt said:
I made the banner :smile: I don't know what the equation stands for, just thought it looked good there :redface:
Good work Greg :smile:

I like the banner too -- well, the left half of it. I would have rather seen the equation on the right simply made gray or white, to make it visible against the background, rather than using that awful white glow effect.

My 0.02.

- Warren

lol looks like Greg is strategically ignoring mine and Evo's question about european payment, maybe i won't have to pay...WOOT

CHOPNIK LIVES ON!

Since I am French Canadian, I deserve special treatment.

I get all the paid features, without having to pay.

How about it?

Dagenais
Since I am French Canadian, I deserve special treatment.
Please, then, pay in pelts.

*chuckle*

pay in pelts...

Greg,

Where did my signature go? It shows on "preview," but not on posts. I've got it checked under "Miscellaneous Options."

jimmy p said:
lol looks like Greg is strategically ignoring mine and Evo's question about european payment, maybe i won't have to pay...WOOT

CHOPNIK LIVES ON!

Paypal can handle several european currancies

dont get me wrong i love PF, and proberly will donate. I am just saying the price is so low, it seems like meer red tape. since the price to reg isn't a case of "if people don't reg PF will close :(" why not make sigs and avatars free to all? plus I am like that other guy, i know people by their sigs and avatar. without them, whos going to recognize them? short of looking at their name, but that's a last resort when it comes to identifying people.

Gara we want the price to be so low it's trivial. We want it to be so low that it would be ridiculous not to sign up for the membership. It doesn't seem like a lot for each person, but if a couple hundred people sign up, that results in a good amount of support. It's a little strange now with everything new, but in a month you'll be fine and like this format better, trust me.

How about free for people in China, and other countries where Paypal is either very difficult to arrange or downright impossible?

AFAIK, in many places the theoretical ability to be able to sign up for something like Paypal is almost useless because of all the other things that one needs to do, or have. For example, there may be 'credit cards' in China, but few private individuals can use them. Even if they have them, they may not be able to do internet transactions using them, and even if they could, they may only pay for things in RMB (renminbi, the Chinese currency), not USD (US$).

While it would certainly be a good idea to ask Paypal about this sort of thing, IMHO the answers you'd get would be only partial, at best, since their will (naturally) be interested to put a positive spin on it, and because it's likely they don't know all the difficulties involved.

Nereid said:
How about free for people in China, and other countries where Paypal is either very difficult to arrange or downright impossible?

AFAIK, in many places the theoretical ability to be able to sign up for something like Paypal is almost useless because of all the other things that one needs to do, or have. For example, there may be 'credit cards' in China, but few private individuals can use them. Even if they have them, they may not be able to do internet transactions using them, and even if they could, they may only pay for things in RMB (renminbi, the Chinese currency), not USD (US$).

While it would certainly be a good idea to ask Paypal about this sort of thing, IMHO the answers you'd get would be only partial, at best, since their will (naturally) be interested to put a positive spin on it, and because it's likely they don't know all the difficulties involved.

Basic use of PF will always be free. If someone wants to send me a check that would be fine too if paypal doesn't work for them. :smile:

Actually (correct me if I'm wrong) but online transactions -at least with credit cards- are prohibited all together in Romenia :O, or maybe it was just Amazon who doesn't ship anything to Romenia anymore.. don't remember the details.. my Romenian roommate told me that once.

Okay, I don't you seriously considered my French Canadian proposal.

How about reconsidering?

I need that Habs logo under my name. Especially come playoff time.

Back