Register to reply

Insights or any clever discoveries you guys have came across working math problems

by Mathgician
Tags: clever, discoveries, guys, insights, math, working
Share this thread:
Mathgician
Apr20-07, 01:28 PM
P: 80
I was reading the general discussion section and noticed that someone came with a thread about cleaver ideas. I was thinking that there may be some clever ideas, tricks, or insights that many of you experienced mathematicians may have come across. If you have anything you think it is of worth I am very interested in it. It doesn't have to be world changing discoveries, it could be anything from something minor to something major.
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
Researcher figures out how sharks manage to act like math geniuses
Math journal puts Rauzy fractcal image on the cover
Heat distributions help researchers to understand curved space
berkeman
Apr20-07, 01:36 PM
Mentor
P: 41,353
Here's an earlier (short) thread about this. But it could use some expanding...

Check out the book that I mention at the end of the old thread -- it's got some great stuff in it that I use every day.

http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=129568
Mathgician
Apr20-07, 02:39 PM
nice... thanks, but the cover of the book don't make it look like a very respectable book. I ordered a used one through amazon for nearly the shipping price.

HallsofIvy
Apr20-07, 06:13 PM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,687
Insights or any clever discoveries you guys have came across working math problems

My greatest insight was "Gosh, I'm spending way too much time on this!"
quasar987
Apr20-07, 07:21 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 4,771
Check out this method of doing multiplication.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJ_N-lRyltM

With love, Feynman.
Gib Z
Apr20-07, 08:16 PM
HW Helper
P: 3,348
That methods pretty good for 2 digit numbers but I tried 252 x 482. It wasn't fun at all, and I found it somewhat problematic when it had to carry over the tens digit, I got confused. Either way, Go Feynman! Woot!

As for discoveries, when it comes to minor things I happened to notice and prove the sum of the geometric series [itex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{x^n}[/itex] when I was 9 years old fooling around on a calculator. That was before I even knew trig so I thought i was a real genius "discovering" that, stupid me. It was a real sad shock when I studied series from a textbook, let me tell you that :D
Gib Z
Apr20-07, 08:32 PM
HW Helper
P: 3,348
This suits more the thread berkeman posted, but http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mental_arithmetic reminded me of some stuff.

Theres the simple thing that when ever I multiply things that aren't too many digits and the ending digit is somewhat small, its always good to do this:

Lettings alphabetic characters represent digits - (abc)(def) = (ab0 + c)(de0 + f) then a binomial expansion. Helps more than you think.

And newtons method works well on alot of things, but i use it mostly for square roots. I use taylor series to the first 3 terms when doing sins, cosines and exponentials (base e). For tans, i dont actually use the taylor series for tan, but divide the sin and cos, I hate tans taylor series.
mathwonk
Apr20-07, 09:20 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 9,499
read "what is mathematics".
Mathgician
Apr20-07, 09:27 PM
Quote Quote by quasar987 View Post
Check out this method of doing multiplication.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJ_N-lRyltM

With love, Feynman.
Wow Amazing. Was it Feynman that popularized it? I'm very curious what process let that person to that discovery?
quasar987
Apr20-07, 10:16 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 4,771
Well, the little description of the video reads...

"An American physicist Richard Feynman developed this technique to graphically solve quantum field theory equations (actually to get approximations) that could not be solved otherwise. He got Nobel Price in physics for those "Feynman's diagrams"
Mathgician
Apr20-07, 10:35 PM
Quote Quote by mathwonk View Post
Lol good one Wonk. You are quite the Zen master.
Glass
Apr22-07, 04:39 AM
P: 24
I wish there was a book of cool and clever tricks for things pivotal to other areas of math (such as solving integral tricks and algebra ones too). I always find such tricks to be quite elegant and mesmerizing. Does anyone know of such a book?
Werg22
Apr22-07, 10:50 AM
P: 1,520
Quote Quote by mathwonk View Post
Are you talking about Courant's book?
Chris Hillman
Apr22-07, 10:59 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 2,340
I dunno why no-one has mentioned some obvious citations:

The enjoyment of mathematics; selections from mathematics for the amateur, by Hans Rademacher and Otto Toeplitz, Princeton University Press, 1957

Mathematics and logic; retrospect and prospects, by Mark Kac and Stanislaw M. Ulam, New York, Praeger, 1968 (great semipopular book despite the title)

Continued fractions, by A. Ya. Khinchin, Dover reprint, 1997.

A whole series of books called Mathematical Pearls, which I can't seem to find in our catalog,

Proofs from the book, by Martin Aigner, Günter M. Ziegler, Springer, 2004.

Modern graph theory, by Béla Bollobás, Springer, 1998.

Indra's pearls: the vision of Felix Klein, by David Mumford, Caroline Series and David Wright, Cambridge University Press, 2002.

Visual complex analysis, by Tristan Needham, Oxford University Press, 1997.

Complex analysis: the geometric viewpoint, by Steven G. Krantz, Mathematical Association of America, 2004

Fourier analysis, by T.W. Körner, Cambridge University Press, 1988.

In case you hadn't guessed, these are all really, really fun books which are full of nifty but often rather elementary mathematical reasoning. I could have added many more.

There are zillions of expository papers in the Am. Math. Monthly published over the past century which should also yield a cheap thrill or two, as close as your nearest math library, or even closer for some of you http://www.jstor.org/journals/00029890.html

Register to reply