Laser:population rate equation

• Thread starter Clau
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rate
In summary, when writing population rate equations for a multi-level system, it is important to consider all factors and variables, including pumping power, spontaneous emission, and stimulated absorption processes.
Clau

Homework Statement

Simultaneous Laser Emission on Two Lines
Consider the multi-level system show in the figure where amplification can occur at frequencies [tex]\omega_{12}[/tex] and [tex]\omega_{21}[/tex]. The arrow "triplets" are meant to indicate the 3 Einstein absorption and emission processes that take place between levels 2 and 3. Write down the population rate equations for levels 1, 2 and 3.

The figure is attached.

My problem is: I don't know if I have to introduce the pumping power inside the population rate equations.

Homework Equations

Ni=number of particles in level i
Between levels 1 and 2 we have:
[tex]\downarrow \uparrow \downarrow[/tex]
first down arrow: spontaneous trasition rate
[tex]N_{2}A_{21}[/tex]
up arrow: absorption rate
[tex]N_{1}B_{12}W(\omega_{12})[/tex]
second down arrow: stimulated emission rate
[tex]N_{2}A_{21}W(\omega_{12}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

For level 3 I have:
[tex]dN_{3}/dt = - N_{3}A_{31} + N_{1}B_{13}W(\omega_{13}) - N_{3}B_{31}W(\omega_{13})[/tex]

Level 2:
[tex]dN_{2}/dt= - N_{2}A_{21} + N_{1}B_{12}W(\omega_{12}) - N_{2}B_{21}W(\omega_{12})[/tex]

Level 1:
[tex]dN_{1}/dt = - dN_{3}/dt - dN_{2}/dt - N_{1}R{1}[/tex]

Should I add P3 to level 3 and P2 to level 2?

Attachments

• figure.doc
    20.5 KB · Views: 277
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

it is important to carefully consider all factors and variables in a system before writing population rate equations. In this case, the pumping power (P3 and P2) should indeed be included in the equations for levels 3 and 2, respectively. This power will affect the rate at which particles are excited to these levels, and thus it should be considered in the overall population dynamics. Additionally, it may be helpful to also include terms for spontaneous emission and stimulated absorption processes, as these can also affect the population rates. Overall, it is important to carefully consider all relevant factors and to include them in the population rate equations to accurately describe the system.

1. What is the population rate equation in laser physics?

The population rate equation, also known as the rate equation, is a mathematical expression that describes the temporal evolution of the population inversion in a laser system. It relates the rate of change of the population inversion to the pumping rate, spontaneous emission rate, and stimulated emission rate.

2. How is the population rate equation derived?

The population rate equation is derived from the Boltzmann equation, which describes the statistical distribution of particles in a system. It is also based on the principles of quantum mechanics, specifically the Einstein coefficients for spontaneous and stimulated emission.

3. What factors affect the population rate in a laser system?

The population rate in a laser system is affected by the pumping rate, the energy levels of the lasing medium, and the presence of any losses or decay processes. The population rate can also be influenced by external factors such as temperature and pressure.

4. How does the population rate equation relate to laser output power?

The population rate equation is crucial in understanding the relationship between the population inversion and the laser output power. It shows that an increase in the population inversion leads to a higher rate of stimulated emission, resulting in a higher output power from the laser.

5. Can the population rate equation be used to optimize laser performance?

Yes, the population rate equation is an essential tool for designing and optimizing laser systems. It can be used to determine the optimal pumping rate and energy levels of the lasing medium for achieving the desired output power and efficiency.