4x4 Matrix

by phantomAI
Tags: matrix
phantomAI
Mar22-04, 09:25 AM
P: 17
I seem to be still having problems with solving the determinant of a 4x4 matrix correctly. There are two methods I can use: Factor/Cofactor and reduction to triangular form.

Ex:
[ 1 2 3 4
-5 2 1 0
6 4 3 2
1 1 1 1]

determinant is 2 based on the calculator

Factor/Cofactor: I did:
1*det[2,1,0; 4,3,2; 1,1,1] - 2*det(-5,1,0;6,3,2; 1,1,1]
+ 3*det[-5,2,0; 6,4,2; 1,1,1] -4*det(-5,2,1; 6,4,3; 1,1,1]

From there I would do the individual det of the 3x3s, but when everything is added up I'm getting a determinant of 0! Did I set things up correctly like on the process of setting up the factor/cofactor method.

With the reduction to triangular form, it looks similar to Guassian elimination where I'm trying to get the matrix reduced to upper triangular form. I know that each row swap I make I need to multiply by (-1). When I'm done I mulitply the terms outside the matrix to the diagonals. However, I'm still a bit confused, so can anyone explain it a bit better than my textbook?

Thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Cougars' diverse diet helped them survive the Pleistocene mass extinction
Cyber risks can cause disruption on scale of 2008 crisis, study says
Mantis shrimp stronger than airplanes
Muzza
Mar22-04, 09:46 AM
P: 696
From there I would do the individual det of the 3x3s, but when everything is added up I'm getting a determinant of 0!
Which happens to be the correct value... What makes you think a matrix can't have a determinant of 0?
phantomAI
Mar22-04, 08:52 PM
P: 17
DOH! I shouldn't always rely on the calculator (or at least me inputting wrong values)

Yeah the Det is 0.

I still have some trouble with the Triangular form method though. This technique is suppose to be quicker than the Factor/Cofactor technique right?

matt grime
Mar23-04, 03:36 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 9,398

4x4 Matrix

Yes, a lot quicker. Learn it, it's very useful

Register to reply