Homework Problem! (asap)

by Heidikins07
Tags: asap, homework
Heidikins07
Apr29-07, 01:53 PM
P: 3
Here is the homework question...

According to the Guinness Book of World Records, the highest rotary speed ever attained was 2010m/s(4500mph). The rotating rod was 15.3cm(6in.) long. Assume the speed quoted is that of the end of the rod. What is the centripetal acceleration of the end of the rod?

So I think since they say rotary speed they are talking about angular velocity here. so i would say angular velocity (w) = 2010m/s. Is this correct? or is it tangential velocity (v) = 2010m/s?

okay....does this mean it's rotating about the middle or about the end? (diameter being 15.3 radius being 7.65) orrrrrr (radius being 15.3 and diameter being 30.6) ??
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
NASA's space station Robonaut finally getting legs
Free the seed: OSSI nurtures growing plants without patent barriers
Going nuts? Turkey looks to pistachios to heat new eco-city
neutrino
Apr29-07, 02:01 PM
P: 2,048
Quote Quote by Heidikins07 View Post
So I think since they say rotary speed they are talking about angular velocity here. so i would say angular velocity (w) = 2010m/s. Is this correct? or is it tangential velocity (v) = 2010m/s?
What is the SI unit of angular speed?

okay....does this mean it's rotating about the middle or about the end? (diameter being 15.3 radius being 7.65) orrrrrr (radius being 15.3 and diameter being 30.6) ??
Well, nothing has been stated specifically. If this written homework, you could check with your teacher. If this is one of those computerised tests, which gives you three chances at the right answer, then use 15.3 cm as the radius in your first try.
Heidikins07
Apr29-07, 03:08 PM
P: 3
yea, it's written homework. so i did it both ways and im just gunna ask my teacher! thanks tho! Ü

Register to reply