Register to reply

Wormholes don't make sense

by TheDonk
Tags: sense, wormholes
Share this thread:
TheDonk
Mar23-04, 01:32 PM
P: 67
So a wormhole is a ring within the event horizon. The idea is you go in at the right angle and you won't hit anything in the middle so you go into the hole. So where does it go? It comes out another one. That's the idea.

There seems to be many flaws in how this could possibly work so first before I try to prove wormholes couldn't exist I'd just like to confirm that everyone agrees that this is how wormholes are thought to be.
Phys.Org News Partner Astronomy news on Phys.org
Eclipsing binary stars discovered by high school students
Swirling electrons in the whirlpool galaxy
A spectacular landscape of star formation
Ivan Seeking
Mar23-04, 01:38 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,500
Hello Thedonk,
This question is better suited for an Astrophysics expert. I am moving the thread for this reason.

Thanks,
Ivan
Lord Flasheart
Mar23-04, 04:50 PM
P: 94
From what I hear, wormholes are spherical. What you must be describing is a spinning black hole. If a black hole is spinning fast enough, the singularity of said gravitational mass will envelope the event horizon, which is the barrier where gravity is strong enough to prevent light from escaping. The faster the black hole spins, the more contained it's event horizon is.

A Schwartz'- (Bah, I cannot spell the rest of his name.) black hole has no spin, so it's event horizon reaches much farther. The end result of the spinning is a ring-shaped singularity. Apparently the effects of the toroid-singularity are tears in space, which could be used for long distance travel. Unfortunately, the black hole would have to spin swiftly, and have immense mass. The larger a black hole is, the weaker it's tidal forces. Thus, a large black hole is needed. Then, you have to spin the damn thing! Perhaps you could give it an electric potential, and then use electromagnets to manipulate the 'hole to your will.

You know, I am typing this a day after I checked out a copy of Kip Thorne's "Black Holes and Time Warps: Einsteins Outrageous Legacy". How coincidental can this be? Hope this helped. I'd suggest finding a replica of the of the book.

Register to reply