Is f''(x)=0 always a point of inflexion?

• Thread starter prasannapakkiam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the conversation discusses the misconception that f"(x)=0 always indicates a point of inflexion, and explains that the second derivative gives information about the curvature of the curve. To determine if a point is a point of inflexion, the curvature on either side of the point must be examined. The use of a numberline is suggested as a method for identifying points of inflexion. The conversation also highlights the importance of considering the sign of the second derivative in determining points of inflexion.
prasannapakkiam
Okay, I was programming this game, when I discovered something probably obvious. I realized that I wrongly assumed that when f"(x)=0, it is a point of inflexion. I found that when doing the test for x^4, (at 0, it is the minima); the test came with 0. So is there any way of finding the nature of the extrema in situations such as this?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
This is a common mistake, particularly with A-Level math students. The second derivative gives you information about the rate of change of the derivative, or the curvature of the curve. Now, if the second derivative at some point is positive this means that the curvature at this point is concave up, like the shape of y = x2. Equally, if the second derivative is negative at some point, this means that the curvature is concave down, like the shape of y = - x2.

Now, a point of inflection means that the curvature of the curve has change, e.g. from concave up before the point, to concave down after the point. Now, if we have some value of x, say x = a such that f''(a)=0; then it is quite possible that this is a point of inflection. However, to be certain of this we need to look at the curvature either side of the point. I.e. we need to take [itex]f''(a - \delta)[/itex] and [itex]f''(a + \delta)[/itex] where [itex]\delta[/itex] is a small positive number. If the sign of the second derivative changes from before x=a to after x=a, then we have a point of inflection.

I hope that made sense.

But this is just the same if I drew up a table of values and found the nature of the extremas. Is there a proper definitive test for this?

Well, that's the way it's done in my Calc class. You don't really need a table of values, just a numberline:
Code:
<---|--->
    x
where x is where the second derivative is 0. Just pick a random value greater than x and see if the second derivative ends up positive or negative, and do the same for a smaller number. If there's a sign change, then there's a point of inflection.

The sign of the function f''(x) in the neighborhood of the point is what determines weather it's a point of inflexion or not. For example, in the function x^2, x^2 stays positive on every value left and right of 0, so 0 is not a point of inflexion of the function x^4. For a point of inflexion to occur, the derivative has to change sign, by definition.

1. What is the definition of a double derivative?

A double derivative is a mathematical concept that describes the rate of change of a function's slope. It represents the second derivative of a function and is calculated by taking the derivative of the derivative of the original function.

2. How is the double derivative denoted?

The double derivative is denoted by two prime symbols ('') or by the notation d²y/dx². The single prime symbol ('), which represents the first derivative, is placed next to the function's variable, while the double prime symbol (''), is placed next to the first prime symbol.

3. What is the difference between a single and a double derivative?

A single derivative describes the rate of change of a function, while a double derivative describes the rate of change of a function's slope. In other words, the single derivative represents the first derivative of a function, while the double derivative represents the second derivative.

4. When is the double derivative useful?

The double derivative is useful when analyzing the curvature of a function. It can also be used to determine the maximum and minimum points of a function, and to determine the concavity of a curve.

5. How is the double derivative used in real-world applications?

The double derivative is used in many fields, including physics, engineering, and economics. For example, it can be used to analyze the acceleration of an object in physics, to optimize the design of a structure in engineering, and to predict changes in demand in economics.