Is LaTeX-capability available to others?

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter JohnDubYa
  • Start date
In summary: I have never used LaTeX.In summary, this site's ability to incorporate LaTeX is impressive. Other boards, such as phpBB and Invision, have the ability to mod the forum. It would be a huge help to have this capability included in vbulletin, but I don't think it is available as a free option.
JohnDubYa
Sorry if this has been discussed, but I couldn't find it anwhere.

I am impressed -- no, astonished -- at this site's abilty to incorporate LaTeX. Does this capability come with vbulletin?

If not, is this capability available to other boards other than this one?

Physics news on Phys.org
We thank this feature to our site's own genius Chroot

Okay, but is he willing to share his ability with other board administrators?

Keep in mind that some institutions may be willing to pay for this capability. I certainly would if the price was reasonable.

Yes, other boards have the ability.

here is one for phpBB

here is another one for phpBB

http://forums.ibplanet.com/index.php?showtopic=2150&hl=latex is one for Invision

I wouldn't expect vbulletin to have many mods since it's not free software like most other forums. phpBB and Invision have the most mods.

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking of TeX support for applications, is there some way to get it in something like AIM?

cookiemonster

For a program like AIM, wouldn't the latex interpreter have to be on your friend's computer, not yours?

I imagine both parties would want it... But that still doesn't change the question of whether or not such a thing exists.

cookiemonster

So any ideas on AIM TeX?

I personally think it'd be pretty useful. It's difficult to express equations with just plain typesetting and its even worse over the phone. And then it's a major pain in the ass to have to prepare a .pdf document or a word document just to show one or two equations...

cookiemonster

Well, I ain't writing it, that's for sure.

- Warren

Nuts.

cookiemonster

I guess someone could just create the LaTeX equations using the offline program and take a screenshot of it and send the screenshot to the friend via AIM. I am pretty sure that is a little easier than putting it into a PDF.

Where can you download an offline program to make the equations?

It'd be a huge help, as I help people quite frequently on AIM, and my current method of trying to draw various symbols or fractions in paint aren't too useful.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is LaTeX and why is it important for scientists?

LaTeX is a typesetting system commonly used in scientific writing. It allows for precise formatting and organization of complex scientific documents, making it a valuable tool for researchers and academics.

2. Is LaTeX available to everyone?

Yes, LaTeX is an open-source software and is available for free to anyone. It can be downloaded and used on various operating systems, including Windows, Mac, and Linux.

3. What are some advantages of using LaTeX over other word processing software?

LaTeX offers a range of advantages, including its ability to handle large and complex documents, its precise and consistent formatting, and its compatibility with mathematical equations and symbols.

4. How difficult is it to learn LaTeX?

The learning curve for LaTeX can be steep for some, especially for those with no prior experience with coding or markup languages. However, there are numerous online resources and tutorials available to help users get started.

5. Can LaTeX be used for other types of documents besides scientific papers?

Yes, LaTeX can be used for a variety of documents, including resumes, presentations, and even novels. It is particularly useful for documents that require precise and professional formatting.