Register to reply

Strings Chan-Paton U(N) gauge symmetry fractional winding number...

Share this thread:
da_willem
May15-07, 06:51 AM
P: 599
I understand why in the presence of a constant vector potential

[tex]A=-\frac{\theta}{2 \pi R}[/tex]

along a compactified dimension (radius R) the canonical momentum of a -e charged particle changes to P=p-eA. Due to the single valuedness of the wavefunction [itex]\propto e^{iPX}[/tex] P should be K/R with K an integer so the momentum is

[tex]p=\frac{K}{R} -\frac{e\theta}{2 \pi R}[/tex]

But now a 'N-dimensional gauge field' [tex]-\frac{1}{2 \pi R} diag(\theta_1,..\theta_N}[/tex] is introduced. This has probably something to do with the fact that string states have two Chan-Paton labels i,j (both 1..N) at the string endpoints. Now it is said that these states transform with charge +1 under U(1)_i and -1 under U(1)_j...

Can somebody maybe demystify things a bit for me...?!

Ultimately I want to understand why the string wavefunction now picks up a factor [tex]e^{ip 2\pi R}=e^{-i(\theta _i - \theta _j)}[/tex]

There is some more talk about Wilson lines breaking the U(N) symmetry to the subgroup commuting with the wilson line (or holonomy matrix). This is all a bit above my head, especially given the short (read: no) explanation or claraification in my book (Becker, Becker, Schwarz).

Is there anyone who likes to clarify things for me?!
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists discuss quantum pigeonhole principle
First in-situ images of void collapse in explosives
The first supercomputer simulations of 'spin?orbit' forces between neutrons and protons in an atomic nucleus

Register to reply