Teenage Suicide Bomber Sought Paradise and 72 Virgins

Share this thread:
enigma
Mar27-04, 05:41 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,817
Not only that, but girls and boys are completely segregated. You don't even get to talk to a woman unless you're married to her, and you can't marry her unless you can support a family. IIRC, unemployment is over 40% in many/most Middle Eastern countries.
ShawnD
Mar27-04, 06:02 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 986
Quote Quote by enigma
You don't even get to talk to a woman unless you're married to her, and you can't marry her unless you can support a family. IIRC, unemployment is over 40% in many/most Middle Eastern countries.
So that means 40% of men don't get to talk to women or see women at all? No wonder they're so willing to kill themselves.
enigma
Mar27-04, 08:28 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,817
Yep. Bill Maher was joking about it, but it isn't really a laughing matter if you think about it for a while...
motai
Mar27-04, 08:45 PM
P: 496
Quote Quote by ShawnD
One thing we are forgetting is that women over there cover themselves completely. You can't tell who is a little thick and who is in perfect supermodel condition. You can't even tell a pretty face from an ugly face!
Add that to the 40% meeting ratio and it drops down the ratio quite considerably, because finally when you do meet them, you have no idea what they look like.

On another note, since they are covered completely, wouldn't they be lacking certain vitamins that normally are produced when exposed to UV radiation?
Adam
Mar28-04, 04:34 AM
P: 454
Quote Quote by Chen
Even the boy's parents confirm the story so this conspiracy theory doesn't really fly, Adam.
Hardly a conspiracy theory. I merely reported something seen on a news website.

http://www.nizkor.org/features/falla...-ridicule.html
Monique
Mar28-04, 04:46 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,642
Quote Quote by motai
On another note, since they are covered completely, wouldn't they be lacking certain vitamins that normally are produced when exposed to UV radiation?
Vitamin D undernutrition can be a problem yes under such conditions.
kuengb
Mar28-04, 05:19 AM
P: 117
I don't want to disturb your cheerful talk but I can't find anything amusing about a 16 year old suicide-bomber-to-be, no matter how many virgins are involved.
Monique
Mar28-04, 05:58 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Everytime I am amazed when people refer to suicide bombers as barbaric people who are to blame for everything. I think it is a very sad state when people resort to such actions, they are people also you know..

Just the other day I was walking over to work and a group of girls were discussing very loudly and passionately how people turn a bad eye to the US. 'How can the US be blamed for the stuff that is happening?' 'People should be down to earth!' 'Dutch people are down to earth, they should see that the US carries no blame at all' 'It is the terrorists, the terrorists are to blame for everything'

To the point my hairs started to stand up and I proceeded to walk in a faster pace to not have to hear the rest of the discussion. The point of the story: I don't think the US should be blamed either. But terrorists are not a barbaric subrace. Sure, there are a few barbaric evil minds that run the organizations, but I can definately begin to understand the mindset of a person grown up in such oppressive countries and under such rule. Anyway.
plus
Mar28-04, 07:16 AM
P: 291
Quote Quote by Monique
Everytime I am amazed when people refer to suicide bombers as barbaric people who are to blame for everything. I think it is a very sad state when people resort to such actions, they are people also you know..

Just the other day I was walking over to work and a group of girls were discussing very loudly and passionately how people turn a bad eye to the US. 'How can the US be blamed for the stuff that is happening?' 'People should be down to earth!' 'Dutch people are down to earth, they should see that the US carries no blame at all' 'It is the terrorists, the terrorists are to blame for everything'

To the point my hairs started to stand up and I proceeded to walk in a faster pace to not have to hear the rest of the discussion. The point of the story: I don't think the US should be blamed either. But terrorists are not a barbaric subrace. Sure, there are a few barbaric evil minds that run the organizations, but I can definately begin to understand the mindset of a person grown up in such oppressive countries and under such rule. Anyway.

So you are saying that people who want to take the lives of as many people as possible are not evil. Clearly the individual bombers themselves are not responsible for everything, but that does not make them nice people. Also, what makes the people who run the organisations that much worse than the bombers? Do you not think that the bombers would love to be in a position to run the war?
Monique
Mar28-04, 07:36 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
It is a very difficult issue to talk about since I don't know any of them and never have been to such cultures. Clearly the taking of lives is evil, but Bush did that too - does that make him evil? There are soldiers in Iraq fighting for Bush, does that make them evil automatically, or could it be that they themselves don't support the actions taken?

I don't know what goes on in the heads of suicide bombers. Do they just want to kill as many people possible, do they want 72 virgins, are they forces by the threat of cruelty to their families if they don't do it, is it the only means by which they know how to fight a war.
plus
Mar28-04, 08:31 AM
P: 291
Quote Quote by Monique
It is a very difficult issue to talk about since I don't know any of them and never have been to such cultures. Clearly the taking of lives is evil, but Bush did that too - does that make him evil? There are soldiers in Iraq fighting for Bush, does that make them evil automatically, or could it be that they themselves don't support the actions taken?

I don't know what goes on in the heads of suicide bombers. Do they just want to kill as many people possible, do they want 72 virgins, are they forces by the threat of cruelty to their families if they don't do it, is it the only means by which they know how to fight a war.
Surely that is the point of al quaida. They wish to destroy the non islamic culture and people. The suicide bombers are often brainwashed to destroy and kill, thus turning them into evil people.

What Bush did in Iraq was to put an end to a tyranical regieme, ie. to prevent more killings by saddam hussein. But this is an entirely different issue and one which has been discussed many times before.
Monique
Mar28-04, 08:46 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Sure, Bush is just a popular example to demonstrate the issue involved. The question that should be asked: why does Al Qaeda wish to destroy non-islamic culture? The issue here is how you distinguish between good and bad. Is it thinkable that these suicide bombers actually feel they are doing the right thing and don't realize that their viewpoint is obscured and twisted?

I just feel it is very dangerous to breed a hate against terrorists, since only hate is going to be given in return. Trying to understand what makes them undertake such actions might actually bring us a step closer to a resolution?
The_Professional
Mar28-04, 09:28 AM
P: 583
The suicide bombers think that what they are doing is just. Their interpretation of the Koran is to that ridiculous extreme, that blowing up innocent children is justifiable if you're fighting for a cause.

I feel it is perfectly logical to breed hate against terrorists. It makes you more aware, more careful. I'm not going to turn my other cheek on these guys when I know that my life and my loved ones are in danger. Before I came to this country, we have terrorists detonating bombs in malls, movie theatres and other public areas, that could have been me or my friends and family.
Monique
Mar28-04, 10:26 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by The_Professional
I feel it is perfectly logical to breed hate against terrorists.
It's a vicious cycle..
Adam
Mar28-04, 12:35 PM
P: 454
Logical to breed hate against terrorists, eh? Well, to say it is logical to breed hate against some group of people, or section of society, you need to first define the target. To me, a terrorist is any person or group who attacks civilian target for some political aim, whatever their excuse (such as religion, money, freedom, whatever). Even a vague association with the slimmest Beginner's Guide To History will show that just about every state on earth has done this at one point or another. If it is logical to breed hate against terrorists, then it is logical to breed hate against every nation, culture, religion, tribe, et cetera, since at some point every group has done it. So if everyone is hating everyone, all we get is more of the same. Seems a tad illogical to me.
Monique
Mar28-04, 12:40 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Exactly what I was thinking Adam :) thanks.
Njorl
Mar29-04, 03:00 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 875
Quote Quote by chroot
Virgins totally suck in bed...

- Warren
That's how many of them maintain their virginity.

Njorl
jimmy p
Mar29-04, 03:39 PM
PF Gold
P: 580
Quote Quote by Njorl
That's how many of them maintain their virginity.

Njorl
the logic doesnt work but it's still funny! :)

Register to reply