Bromination and Nitration

by jkh4
Tags: bromination, nitration
Share this thread:
jkh4
Jun8-07, 02:41 PM
P: 51
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
1) What other nitration products in a electrophilic nitration of benzoic acid would be formed if each reaction were carried out at a higher temperature?

2) The nitration of hydroquinone leads to a low yield of nitrohydroquinone. Propose the structure of the major product: HINT: nitric acid can also function as an oxidizing agent.

2. Relevant equations
3. The attempt at a solution

Please correct me if I am wrong.
For #1: I think since it is at higher temperature, and benzoic acid is a meta director, the both meta position of the benzene ring will have NO2 attached to it so it will be a 3,5 - dinitro product.

For #2: I was thinking the structure of hydroquinone is . Since it has two hydroxide attached and they are all ortho/para director, i think the NO2 will be attached to all four remaining positions.

Can someone please help me out? Thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Bees able to spot which flowers offer best rewards before landing
Classic Lewis Carroll character inspires new ecological model
When cooperation counts: Researchers find sperm benefit from grouping together in mice
chemisttree
Jun11-07, 12:31 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 3,724
Quote Quote by jkh4 View Post
[b]For #2: I was thinking the structure of hydroquinone is . Since it has two hydroxide attached and they are all ortho/para director, i think the NO2 will be attached to all four remaining positions.

Can someone please help me out? Thanks.
The hint said that nitric acid can also act as an oxidant. How might you use this hint?

Register to reply