Angles in standard position

by Cyborg31
Tags: angles, position, standard
Cyborg31
Jun21-07, 06:09 AM
P: 39
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
1) If the point (-4, 2) lies on the terminal arm of an angle θ in standard position, determine the exact value of csc θ.
2) If sec θ = -5/3 and angle θ terminates in quadrant III, which point must be on the terminal side of θ?
3) If cos θ = 5/13, where θ is in quadrant VI, determine the value of cot θ
4) Determine csc θ if (-10, 24) lies on the terminal arm of angle θ in standard position.

2. Relevant equations
I know (cos θ, sin θ)

3. The attempt at a solution

Well for #1, I thought you're supposed to csc(2) since csc θ is 1/sin θ but it's not, and the answer is [tex] \sqrt {5} [/tex] and I have no idea how you get that.

Thanks for any help.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
NASA's space station Robonaut finally getting legs
Free the seed: OSSI nurtures growing plants without patent barriers
Going nuts? Turkey looks to pistachios to heat new eco-city
FunkyDwarf
Jun21-07, 06:40 AM
P: 479
This may sound stupid but drawing triangles is your friend.
Cyborg31
Jun21-07, 11:29 PM
Ok... could you tell me where I should start? The examples in my book don't even show how coordinates fit into this.

Thanks.

Vagrant
Jun21-07, 11:37 PM
P: 200

Angles in standard position

What does csc mean?
Other than that you have one arm of the angle to be +ve x-axis and the other arm is given so complete this triangle to get the values you need.
Cyborg31
Jun22-07, 03:30 AM
1/sin

I only know that it's in the second quadrant and 2 is the sin coord. Other than that I have no idea because the book doesn't say how to do these types of questions and I have the test tomorrow. Even if you tell me how to get root 5 for that one question only, I might be able to figure it out.

Thanks for any help.
HallsofIvy
Jun22-07, 06:00 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 38,885
"In standard position" means that the angle has one side along the positive x-axis. In particular, if the other side passes through the point (-4,2), which has distance [itex]\sqrt{(-4)^2+ 2^2}= \sqrt{20}= 2\sqrt{5}[/itex] from the origin, then it also passes through the point [itex](-2/\sqrt{5}, 1/\sqrt{5})[/itex] which has distance 1 from the origin. I interpret your "2 is the sin coordinate" as meaning that you recognize that the y-coordinate is the one that gives you the sine value for that angle. Of course the x-coordinate is the one that gives you the cosine value at the point where the angle side passes through the unit circle. In other words, knowing that the side passes through (-4, 2) tells you that the sine of the angle is [itex]1/\sqrt{5}[/itex] and the cosine of the angle is [itex]2/\sqrt{5}[/itex]. Now, what is the cosecant of the angle?

Register to reply