Do like charges attract?

by Mr Virtual
Tags: attract, charges
Share this thread:
Mr Virtual
Jun27-07, 08:35 PM
P: 218
Hi
My physics teacher told me that if there is one body that has a slight negative charge, and if there is another body that has an extremely high value of negative charge, then the more-negatively charged body will attract the other one. Even our physics book states this fact. Can anyone explain this?
Is this phenomenon true only in case of a body, or also in case of charged particles (like saying that a huge group of electrons will attract a single electron, because it has lower value of negative charge. Well, atleast to me, it sounds insane).

regards
Mr V
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Step lightly: All-optical transistor triggered by single photon promises advances in quantum applications
The unifying framework of symmetry reveals properties of a broad range of physical systems
What time is it in the universe?
Doc Al
Jun27-07, 08:47 PM
Mentor
P: 41,475
Imagine that the slightly charged object is a conductor. Electrons in that conductor will be repelled, thus displaced further from the other charged object. Since the positive charges are closer, there will be a net attractive force. (Look up charge polarization.)
chroot
Jun27-07, 08:48 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 10,427
Admin note: edited thread title.

- Warren

Mr Virtual
Jun27-07, 08:50 PM
Do like charges attract?

Thanks for the editing.
chroot
Jun27-07, 08:53 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 10,427
As Doc Al says, normal materials are made up of many positive and negative charges rather thoroughly mixed together to make them approximately neutral. If you apply an external field, the charges in the body will migrate as much as they can to opposite ends of the body. Thus, an originally neutral body can be polarized, so that one end is more negatively charged than the other.

The polarized body can then be attracted to another body with the same polarity of net charge.

This is still an example of opposite charges attracting, though. Consider a single electron and another "ball" of electrons (nevermind how such a thing could be made). These two "bodies" would always repel, no matter what, because they have no positive charges within them at all.

- Warren
Mr Virtual
Jun27-07, 08:53 PM
And thanks for the explanation. That clears it up!
I will delete the note in my post.

regards
Mr V

Register to reply