Do You Have What It Takes to be a Genius?

• Thread starter stoorssarg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Genius
In summary: IQ means agreeing with accepted norms... genius is going beyond that.IQ means agreeing with accepted norms... genius is going beyond that.Genius is something we can all achieve if we set our mind to it. Being a genius is not just about having a high IQ. It's about using your intelligence to achieve something great.
Gib Z said:
They used to go on hiking trips and on the long walks Heisenberg and his brother would play chess. How they held the board you say? No need, they played in their minds >.< "Queen to B5" etc etc, and they would remember the positions of all their pieces...quite amazing.

Me and my brother and one of my brothers friends used to do this when we were kids, usually on long car trips. It's really hard at first and you make a lot of blunders, but after a while it gets to be second nature. As a skill, I'd say it's roughly as difficult as learning to do a handstand, or juggle 3 balls (about 20 hours required).

Physics news on Phys.org
funny, I was never told my IQ---maybe I missed the tests from moving so often--

and now for the bad news about IQ:

"Health and IQ
Main article: Health and intelligence
Persons with a higher IQ have generally lower adult morbidity and mortality. Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder,[55] severe depression,[56][57] and schizophrenia[58] are less prevalent in higher IQ bands.

A study of 11,282 individuals in Scotland who took intelligence tests at ages 7, 9 and 11 in the 1950s and 1960s, found an "inverse linear association" between childhood IQ scores and hospital admissions for injuries in adulthood. The association between childhood IQ and the risk of later injury remained even after accounting for factors such as the child's socioeconomic background.[59] Research in Scotland has also shown that a 15-point lower IQ meant people had a fifth less chance of seeing their 76th birthday, while those with a 30-point disadvantage were 37% less likely than those with a higher IQ to live that long.[60]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IQ

its probably from being called an "egghead" and being pushed to the ground by the bully so often that it becomes a habit

Werg22 said:
Genius is the ability to elude innate human stupidity, at least in my opinion.

amen. i think that if people sat down and tried, theyd be a lot smarter than they generally are...i think "geniuses" are genetically predisposed to a certain skill...but that's just me../