Register to reply

An electrochemistry question

by angela2007
Tags: electrochemistry
Share this thread:
angela2007
Jul7-07, 11:30 AM
P: 3
Mn2+ + 2 H2O - MnO2 + 4 H+ + 2 e− ( −1.22 V), this reaction is acucurate. the standard potential is negative, then why all the work for the formation of MnO2 need to be done in anodic potential?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists develop 'electronic nose' for rapid detection of C. diff infection
Why plants in the office make us more productive
Tesla Motors dealing as states play factory poker
symbolipoint
Jul7-07, 06:46 PM
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 2,823
According to what you wrote for the reaction (interpreting for one wrong "-" symbol, needs to be an arrow), the half-reaction is an oxidation and requires energy in order to occur. The negative half-reaction potential tells you that the half reaction is not spontaneous and so requires energy to be supplied.
angela2007
Jul7-07, 09:56 PM
P: 3
my question is in three electrode system: working electrode, Pt counter electrode, and Ag/AgCl reference electrode.
for example, Mn2+ + 2 H2O -MnO2 + 4 H+ + 2 e− ( −1.22 V), the deposition of Mno2 will be accomplished on postive potential. Cr3+ +3e- Cr ( −0.74 V), the depsotion of metallic Cr will be accomplished on negative potential.
I Know for both the half-reactions, they are non-spontaneous and need external electric energy. My point is why the deposition of Mno2 is not done in negative potential range.

Register to reply