PF Premium Membership Now Available

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, the benefits of signing up for a premium membership include the satisfaction that you are supporting PF and securing its future, the removal of ads, the recognition graphic and italized name, the ability to set yourself invisible, the ability to create a custom title, the ability to add a signature, and the use of an avatar or upload a custom avatar. The premium membership fee is $25 for 1 year, and there is a 100 PM limit.
A blog/personal journal/diary

Physics news on Phys.org
The_Professional said:
A blog/personal journal/diary

does anyone use it? or does it log every word you type?? wait I could just look...

well, i don't have credit cards or pay pal or a checking acount... how to i do a money order?

Take $25 plus whatever fee they charge (probably $0.99 or so) down to the post office and buy one.

loseyourname said:
Take $25 plus whatever fee they charge (probably $0.99 or so) down to the post office and buy one.

Oh, well, I've never done it before. But i think i can handle that. Thanks

Activation for Premium Membership?

I have just contributed to PF by PP. But smegging adverts are still around and I still can't have an avatar. Do I need to activate the membership somehow or ...?

Crumbles said:
I have just contributed to PF by PP. But smegging adverts are still around and I still can't have an avatar. Do I need to activate the membership somehow or ...?
It should have been instantaneous. Did you get a confirmation from paypal?

Evo said:
It should have been instantaneous. Did you get a confirmation from paypal?
Yes I got an instant email notification from PP!

Could it be because the email ad I use on PP is different from the one I use on PF?

Crumbles said:
Yes I got an instant email notification from PP!

Could it be because the email ad I use on PP is different from the one I use on PF?

Did you go through the built-in upgrade process here at PF or did you just donate to my email address in paypal? I'll manually upgrade your account though.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Did you go through the built-in upgrade process here at PF or did you just donate to my email address in paypal? I'll manually upgrade your account though.

I used the built-in upgrade function from the menu!

Okay, I finally decided to splurge! One too many flashing advertisements trying to give me seizures finally convinced me :biggrin:

Now, all I need to do is figure out how to make a picture small enough to use as an avatar.

YAY! Welcome to the PF Contributors comunity!

Yeah, but now I'm sitting here wondering where my invitation to the contributors' members-only party is? LOL! :rofl:

But since I seem pretty addicted to this site, I think I'll stick around now. I've gotten addicted to other sites that got shut down for lack of funds, so don't want that to happen here...I can't handle withdrawal that well. :wink:

Obviously, I did manage to figure out how to shrink my picture small enough to make into an avatar (some things I'll never understand about computers, like how I can take an image from one program, open it in another, make no changes whatsoever, just re-save it in the new program, and it's magically a new size).

Did somebody say party? :bugeye: Where?

I think your multisized image is to do with how each program displays it rather than what size it is. Image sizes are measured in pixels and although an image contains a fixed number of pixels, it can be displayed in different sizes on the computer by altering the size of each pixel displayed (in otherwords zooming into the picture).

Well, that's either what you were referring to, or you opened the image in a different program that uses higher JPEG compression, which made the image small in terms of megabytes.

The second is the one I meant...taking it from 52 kb to about 8 kb just by saving in a different program. But now that I know what I have to do to get it to work, I will have to create some other avatars to rotate once in a while.

I'm still thinking about what a good signature line would be. All these tough decisions come with the responsibility of contributorship. Time to pull out Bartlett's Quotations.

I see there are no journal or quiz awards... I still like the idea of both and feel they should be utilzied more as should the chat... if we still have that.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Haha, you of all people should not complain when in a month or so hopefully we buy hivemail.
:wink: :smile:

Hivemail??

franznietzsche said:
Hivemail??

It's an integratable mail program like hotmail. However in my findings is causes some headaches so I decided not to offer it.

I seam tom have some problems with contributing money.

1. I don't have a Visa or MasterCard creditcard.

2. I can't choose my contry in PayPal

What to do :confused: :confused: :confused:

Hmm I love physics forums but 125 dollars is a lot of money you might be able to get a lot more money from it if you lowered prices for say students or something. Student=poor but I could manage like 10 dollars for 6 years lol.

It's $25 for a year. Not $125

is it possible to get premium membership without paying? i don't feel like giving $25 for an avatar...

You are not paying for the avatar, you are supporting the site by contributing. Contributing members are appreciated by giving them perks that regular members don't have.

You are not required to contribute. As you are a member on this site for a longer time, you might feel that it is something worth contributing to.

Monique said:
You are not paying for the avatar, you are supporting the site by contributing. Contributing members are appreciated by giving them perks that regular members don't have.

You are not required to contribute. As you are a member on this site for a longer time, you might feel that it is something worth contributing to.

i see.
i have been visiting the site for a long time. just watching. but unfortunately i did not see any difference between being a simple visitor and a member, wait, except a possibility to post messages :)
well i shall consider contributing. maybe.

And ofcourse the avatar is not the only benefit, summarized they are:
Greg Bernhardt said:
Benefits
  • The satisfaction that you are supporting PF and securing it's future
  • No ads
  • Recognition graphic and italized name
  • Ability to set yourself invisible
  • Create a custom title
  • Add a signature
  • Choose an avatar or upload a custom avatar 64/64
  • Upload profile photo
  • 100 PM limit (default is 25)
  • View whos online
  • View/Post/Manage user notes

is a super mentor someone who bought that title? how much is a super duper mentor?

I would guess Greg confers titles at his discretion.

mathwonk said:
is a super mentor someone who bought that title? how much is a super duper mentor?
:rofl: :rofl:

oh well, I'll be purchasing my premium membership when paypal finishes the transaction with my account. should be on the 1st.

Some promotions might be delayed because of paying with an echeck which takes a few days to clear. If that is the case contact me and I'll promote you manually.

Maybe I should have asked before I contributed, but what is this money used for? Domain, Hosting...?

greg's plan to take over the world.

I've said too much, I must get rid of you