Levitation of objects by a magnetic field ?

In summary, objects can be levitated by a magnetic field by stopping the magnets from flipping or sliding away. This is demonstrated in toys where two doughnut-shaped magnets are placed on a stick and levitate above each other. Another method is by using a very high frequency induction coil to induce currents in electrically conducting objects, which are then repelled by the coil. Another way to combat stability issues is by spinning the floating magnet. However, it's important to note that having angular momentum alone is not enough, as the magnet needs to precess as well for stability.
phy-79
levitation of objects by a magnetic field ?

how is it done?
does this happen when opposite (charged) field come in contact?
i'hve not understood it properly so pls xplain.

Physics news on Phys.org
Opposites attract, likes repell.

That is each magnetic field has a North[N] and South pole, two magnets connect NS or SN. If you try to make a like connection, SS or NN they repel each other, that is if they are laying on a table and you push one magnet towards the other, the other will slide away, or spin to match NS or SN.

As far as levitation, it is a mater of stopping the magnets from flipping or sliding away. You can see toys that have a stick with dougnut shaped magnets that levitate abouve each other on the stick.

CraigD, AMInstP
www.cymek.com

i'm sorry.i was just stupid.(abt the opposite poles repel)
yeah now i get it. thanks.

CraigD said:
Opposites attract, likes repell.

That is each magnetic field has a North[N] and South pole, two magnets connect NS or SN. If you try to make a like connection, SS or NN they repel each other, that is if they are laying on a table and you push one magnet towards the other, the other will slide away, or spin to match NS or SN.

As far as levitation, it is a mater of stopping the magnets from flipping or sliding away. You can see toys that have a stick with dougnut shaped magnets that levitate abouve each other on the stick.

CraigD, AMInstP
www.cymek.com

Indeed you can have the poles of two magnets oppositely directed repel each other as in these toys. The stabalizing factor here is a large angular momentum, which you have to apply by making the toy spin very fast. I got one myself, but I'm not so skilled in using it however...:grumpy:

One can, however also magnetically levitate electrically conducting objects by using a very high frequency induction coil. By suppling the coil with a very high frequency current, a rapidly changing magnetic field, i.e. an electric field is induced which can induce currents in the electrically conducting object, e.g. a droplet of mercury or a plasma. These currents are opppositely directed to the currents in the coil and thus are repelled by the coil, which can be used to levitate the object.

Or alternatively the Lorentz force on the conducting object JxB can be written as the sum of 'Maxwell stresses' and a 'magnetic pressure' B^2/4mu, the latter of which pushes the object away.

As a possibly added benefit the currents developing in the conducting object can, by Ohmic dissipation, in certain circumstances melt the object. This levitation melting is used for quite some time now for highly reactive substances e.g.

Even frogs http://www.hfml.ru.nl/levitate.html

Last edited by a moderator:
A nother way to combat the stability problem is to spin the floating magnet.

CraigD, AMInstP
www.cymek.com

da_willem said:
Indeed you can have the poles of two magnets oppositely directed repel each other as in these toys. The stabalizing factor here is a large angular momentum, which you have to apply by making the toy spin very fast. I got one myself, but I'm not so skilled in using it however...:grumpy:

It's important to note, though, that while having angular momentum is a necessary condition, it's not sufficient. It can be shown that if the angular momentum vector is always vertically oriented, the configuration is unstable. The levitating magnet needs to precess as well.

PS: I've used that toy too. You're right, it's quite hard to spin it the right way! :tongue:

Last edited:

1. What is levitation by a magnetic field?

Levitation by a magnetic field is a phenomenon where an object is suspended in the air without any physical contact, using only the force of a magnetic field.

2. How does levitation by a magnetic field work?

Levitation by a magnetic field works by using the force of attraction or repulsion between two magnets. This force is strong enough to overcome the force of gravity and suspend an object in mid-air.

3. What type of objects can be levitated by a magnetic field?

Generally, only objects made of certain materials such as iron, nickel, or cobalt can be levitated by a magnetic field. These materials are known as ferromagnetic materials and are strongly attracted to magnets.

4. What are some practical applications of levitation by a magnetic field?

Levitation by a magnetic field has many practical applications, including maglev trains, magnetic bearings in machines, and levitating displays in technology. It is also being researched for potential use in energy-efficient transportation and space travel.

5. Is levitation by a magnetic field safe?

Yes, levitation by a magnetic field is generally considered safe. However, it is important to note that strong magnetic fields can be dangerous for certain people, such as those with pacemakers or metal implants, so caution should always be taken when using strong magnets for levitation purposes.