View Poll Results: Which do you enjoy more, The Simpsons or Seinfeld?
Both equally 4 7.84%
Neither 1 1.96%
The Simpsons 28 54.90%
Seinfeld 18 35.29%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Register to reply

More popular: Simpsons or Seinfeld?

by Loren Booda
Tags: popular, seinfeld, simpsons
Share this thread:
Greg Bernhardt
Aug12-07, 10:36 AM
Admin
P: 9,709
Seinfeld. They knew when to go out on top. The Simpsons movie should have came out 6-7 years ago. I stopped watching the Simpsons after the first 10 years, after that it got REALLY old and homer became annoying.
JasonRox
Aug12-07, 10:41 AM
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 2,327
Quote Quote by Greg Bernhardt View Post
Seinfeld. They knew when to go out on top. The Simpsons movie should have came out 6-7 years ago. I stopped watching the Simpsons after the first 10 years, after that it got REALLY old and homer became annoying.
I agree with the fact that the Simpsons should have ended, but in the end, they're still the most popular.

I stopped watching it like 7-8 years ago. I probably seen like 5 or so new episodes since.
Loren Booda
Aug12-07, 09:45 PM
P: 3,408
One reason that The Simpsons has been on a decline is (was?) the celebrity cameos. I thought they established an embarrassing trend by its producers.
russ_watters
Aug13-07, 12:06 AM
Mentor
P: 22,315
Celebrity cameos have been an integral part of the show since it's inception.

[edit: actually, since Season 2: http://www.snpp.com/episodeguide/season2.html

Not exactly a cameo, but James Earl Jones doing The Raven has to be a TV classic]
Tony11235
Aug13-07, 12:44 AM
P: 276
Quote Quote by marlon View Post
You are just "half-funny" (Edit: And you are even more ugly, Yeah, THAT'S what YOU are).

Seinfeld is trivial and the jokes are wayyy too obvious, but hey maybe that's difficult enough for you.
marlon
You have to admit the jokes are far better what you would encounter in Friends, Everybody Loves Rayman...etc. I don't really see Simpsons as having intelligent humor. Have you even watched all Seinfeld episodes?
Pythagorean
Aug13-07, 01:24 AM
PF Gold
P: 4,292
Simpsons: more relevant to my generation.
marlon
Aug13-07, 05:14 AM
P: 4,006
Quote Quote by russ_watters View Post
what defines the Simpsons' popularity is the fact that they are on their 19th season! Seinfeld went 9.
That pretty much says it all

marlon
Danger
Aug13-07, 09:14 AM
PF Gold
P: 8,964
I discovered 'The Simpsons' by accident. It never crossed my mind that a cartoon involving family life (as opposed to Bugs Bunny and the like) could be interesting. Out of curiosity, being an SF fan, I tuned in to 'Futurama' when it debuted, and loved it. Since 'The Simpsons' is produced by the same crew, I decided to check it out just in case, and love it as well. I'm going to wait for the movie to come out on DVD, though, rather than spend $25 to see it (2 tickets; I can't leave W out).
Conversely, my mother used to watch Seinfeld so I got exposed to it involuntarily. It got so I'd leave the room if it was on. There was never anything that vaguely resembled either intelligence or humour; just a bunch of incredibly loathesome individuals being stupid and self-centred. The only decent episode was the series finale, when they all ended up in jail for being pricks; it should have happened in the first season.
marlon
Aug13-07, 09:52 AM
P: 4,006
Quote Quote by Danger View Post
There was never anything that vaguely resembled either intelligence or humour; just a bunch of incredibly loathesome individuals being stupid and self-centred. The only decent episode was the series finale, when they all ended up in jail for being pricks; it should have happened in the first season.
Again, that pretty much says it all.

marlon
russ_watters
Aug13-07, 09:55 AM
Mentor
Quote Quote by Tony11235 View Post
You have to admit the jokes are far better what you would encounter in Friends, Everybody Loves Rayman...etc. I don't really see Simpsons as having intelligent humor. Have you even watched all Seinfeld episodes?
Have you? Is a masturbation competition "intelligent humor"?

Don't get me wrong, I thought Seinfeld was ok, but highbrow humor? No way.
russ_watters
Aug13-07, 09:59 AM
Mentor
Regarding the decline of the Simpsons - I think that's a matter of oversaturation. It is on twice a night here, so I often have my fill of it without watching the new episodes on Sunday.
Cyrus
Aug13-07, 12:02 PM
P: 4,777
Quote Quote by russ_watters View Post
Have you? Is a masturbation competition "intelligent humor"?

Don't get me wrong, I thought Seinfeld was ok, but highbrow humor? No way.

Seinfeld was great though. Like that episode George went out with that woman that had a doll collection and one of the dolls looked just like his mother and ever time he stared at her it would start talking to him and he would yell back to the doll. Meanwhile his girlfriend thought he was nuts.
morphism
Aug13-07, 12:52 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,020
I guess I'm the only one that voted neither???
Darkiekurdo
Aug13-07, 01:30 PM
P: 110
I like The Simpsons better than Seinfeld. But then again, when I watched Seinfeld I was 7/8 years old.
moe darklight
Aug13-07, 01:35 PM
P: 411
O my god people! seinfeld is freakin' brilliant! ... so they had a masturbation competition, how does that disqualify it as intelligent humor? did you see that episode? the dialogue is hilarious and very well-written!

and so what if it's not high-brow? if I had a dollar for every time a shakespeare comedy "cleverly" makes a quaint little allusion to s-e-x so that a bunch of pretentious dudes with weird-looking beards and fake british accents can chuckle under their breath*, I'd probably have enough money to buy season 3 of seinfeld on DVD, which is what I would do (ugh, I can't stand shakespeare. I really don't understand what the big deal is with him. at school they would feed us shakespeare like there's no tomorrow, when there were, and are, so many more interesting writers out there). Intelligent humor doesn't necessarily have to be abstrusely written, is what I'm saying.

The soup nazi! c'mon! the bald chick! ... how can anyone not like seinfeld?... this planet is truly doomed.

* ok, I know not all shakespeare fans have weird beards and fake british accents. I just really really really can't stand shakespeare.
radou
Aug13-07, 02:20 PM
HW Helper
P: 3,220
Btw, I don't like the soup nazi episode. Probably because everyone likes it.
Cyrus
Aug13-07, 02:22 PM
P: 4,777
Thats the perfect reason not to like something.
radou
Aug13-07, 02:24 PM
HW Helper
P: 3,220
Quote Quote by cyrusabdollahi View Post
Thats the perfect reason not to like something.
For me it is.

Register to reply