Best text for graduate analysis?

by regularngon
Tags: analysis, graduate, text
regularngon
Aug20-07, 09:21 AM
P: 19
My course is using Rudin, however I've heard that it's not the best text for learning measure theory and extremely difficult. What are some good supplements?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Internet co-creator Cerf debunks 'myth' that US runs it
Astronomical forensics uncover planetary disks in Hubble archive
Solar-powered two-seat Sunseeker airplane has progress report
redrzewski
Aug20-07, 02:31 PM
P: 117
I went thru most of Royden first before tackling Rudin. Folland is also commonly used.
lurflurf
Aug22-07, 02:35 AM
HW Helper
P: 2,168
Real and Functional Analysis (Graduate Texts in Mathematics) (Hardcover)
by Serge Lang (Author)
-Like the style
-Cleverly avoids typical tedious integration construction where one defines the integral for positive functions then real functions as differences of positive functions then complex as two real functions
Functional Analysis
Frigyes Riesz
Béla Sz.-Nagy
-classic
-inexpensive
-good to have
-many would find bad as a first or primary source
General Theory of Functions and Integration
Angus E. Taylor
-more context and details than usual
-gentile
-inexpensive

mathwonk
Aug22-07, 03:25 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 9,428

Best text for graduate analysis?

those all look good. my analyst friends also like wheeden and zygmund, and stein and shakarchi.

one of my friends, malcolm adams, also cowrote one, by adams and guillemin, whose name is measure theory and probability.
profanilp
Oct11-09, 01:39 PM
P: 15
Quote Quote by regularngon View Post
My course is using Rudin, however I've heard that it's not the best text for learning measure theory and extremely difficult. What are some good supplements?
lang's analysis I and analysis Ii are good. lang;s treatment of measure theory is complete and beautiful! also hl royden is good for measure theory. rr goldberg is better than rudin for one variable stuff. bartle has excellent tratement on integration. also bartle and sherbat have good chapter on henstock integration. The academic series text by scwartz also contains readble intro to henstock. another god book on measure thory with radical good approach is asplund and bungart

Register to reply