.:Deserted island:.

by Hanae4fun
Tags: deserted, island
Hanae4fun
Aug26-07, 04:40 PM
P: 12
A new one for you guys: a math one and a bit different version of the Gilligan's island one:

Ten shipwrecked people land on a deserted island. There they find heaps of coconuts and a single monkey. During their first day they gather the coconuts and put them all in a community pile. After working all day they decide to sleep and divide them into ten equal piles the next morning. That night one castaway wakes up hungry and decides to take his equal share early. After dividing up the coconuts he finds he is one coconut short of ten equal piles. He also notices the monkey holding one more coconut. So he tries to take the monkey's coconut to have a total evenly divisible by 10. However when he tries to take it the monkey conks him on the head with it and kills him. Later another castaway wakes up hungry and decides to take his share early. On the way to the coconuts he finds the body of the first castaway, which pleases him because he will now be entitled to 1/9 of the total pile. After dividing them up into nine piles he is again one coconut short and tries to take the monkey's coconut. Again, the monkey conks the man on the head and kills him. One by one each of the remaining castaways goes through the same process, until the 10th person to wake up gets the entire pile for himself. What is the smallest number of possible coconuts in the pile, not counting the monkey's?

have fun!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Cougars' diverse diet helped them survive the Pleistocene mass extinction
Cyber risks can cause disruption on scale of 2008 crisis, study says
Mantis shrimp stronger than airplanes
rewebster
Aug26-07, 07:31 PM
P: 880
funny (bad) monkey---he's a NUTTER problem !!!---

---and that (problem) took longer than I exected
Werg22
Aug26-07, 07:55 PM
P: 1,520
That's a no brainer...

The product of the greatest powers inferior to ten of the primes inferior to 10 (5*7*8*9) minus one.

rewebster
Aug26-07, 08:40 PM

.:Deserted island:.

Quote Quote by Werg22 View Post
That's a no brainer...

The product of the greatest powers inferior to ten of the primes inferior to 10 (5*7*8*9) minus one.

If this was a question on a test, and that was your explanation on/for your answer, you probably wouldn't score very well. (eight is a cubed number)

----------------------

and actually there is another mistake in your answer, too
Werg22
Aug27-07, 12:22 AM
Well, I'd like a second opinion on that, it's perfectly clear and correct to my eyes.
rewebster
Aug27-07, 08:26 AM
let's just say, the answer may be correct, but that isn't how you solve the problem
Werg22
Aug27-07, 11:19 AM
If you say so. I'm satisfied with my answer, but I can't force you to be.
Hanae4fun
Aug27-07, 12:06 PM
P: 12
Werg, can you explain your answer a bit more? Sadly I dont get it.
rewebster
Aug27-07, 12:07 PM
If you say so. I'm satisfied with my answer, but I can't force you to be.
OK, but getting an answer from the problem itself, it would be about the same as saying:

It's from the number of letters in the words:

Quote Quote by Hanae4fun View Post
A new one for you guys: a math one and a bit different version of the Gilligan's island one:

Ten shipwrecked people land on a deserted island. There they find heaps of coconuts and a single monkey. During their first day they gather the coconuts and put them all in a community pile. After working all day they decide to sleep and divide them into ten equal piles the next morning. That night one castaway wakes up hungry and decides to take his equal share early. After dividing up the coconuts he finds he is one coconut short of ten equal piles. He also notices the monkey holding one more coconut. So he tries to take the monkey's coconut to have a total evenly divisible by 10. However when he tries to take it the monkey conks him on the head with it and kills him. Later another castaway wakes up hungry and decides to take his share early. On the way to the coconuts he finds the body of the first castaway, which pleases him because he will now be entitled to 1/9 of the total pile. After dividing them up into nine piles he is again one coconut short and tries to take the monkey's coconut. Again, the monkey conks the man on the head and kills him. One by one each of the remaining castaways goes through the same process, until the 10th person to wake up gets the entire pile for himself. What is the smallest number of possible coconuts in the pile, not counting the monkey's?

have fun!
In other words, there seems to be no logic or a proof from what that formula is derived or how it is formed from the problem to get the answer---if that doesn't bother you--then the answer given by the bold letters is an accepted proof too
----

oh, yeah, and add one to the last word for the monkey's coconut
Rogerio
Aug27-07, 12:23 PM
P: 403
Quote Quote by Hanae4fun View Post
What is the smallest number of possible coconuts in the pile, not counting the monkey's?
Well, the number of coconuts plus one (N+1) is the minimum common multiple of 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 and 10.
Then, (N+1) = (2**3) * (3**2) * 5 * 7 = 2520
So, N=2519
Werg22
Aug27-07, 01:08 PM
Really, rewebster, why do you want me to make this uselessly long? You know there's only one way to solve this and you know I solved it the right way. I didn't use magic to get the answer.
akhil982
Oct15-07, 01:00 AM
P: 6
The number should be something which when divided by 2..10 gives remainder 1,2,3..9, right?
That's LCM of (2,..10) -1
K.J.Healey
Oct16-07, 12:06 PM
P: 640
That's a no brainer...

Are you saying that 8 is a prime?
Kittel Knight
Oct16-07, 07:05 PM
P: 106
No, he said 8 is one of the greatest powers inferior to ten of the primes inferior to 10.

And 8 is, de facto, the greatest power of 2, inferior to 10.
It is OK.
davee123
Oct17-07, 10:45 AM
P: 657
Quote Quote by K.J.Healey View Post
That's a no brainer...
Are you saying that 8 is a prime?
Just to clarify:

1) Find all primes less than 10: 2, 3, 5, 7.
2) Find the greatest powers of those primes such that the result is less than ten: 2^3 = 8, 3^2 = 9, 5^1 = 5, 7^1 = 7. Hence, 8,9,5,7.
3) Find the product of 8*9*5*7. That's the LCM of all the numbers 1-10.
4) Subtract 1 (the monkey's).

DaveE

Register to reply