Net Force on Charges in Equilateral Triangle System

Expert Summarizer In summary, the conversation discusses a question about the magnitude of the net force on three charged particles arranged in an equilateral triangle. The correct answer, based on the fact that the system is in equilibrium, is zero. This is because there must be external forces acting on the particles to balance out the Coulomb's force between them. This is in accordance with Earnshaw's theorem.
neelakash

Homework Statement

Three rigid rods are joined to form an equilateral triangle ABC of side 1m.Three particles carrying charge 1C are placed at the vertices.The whole system is in equilibrium in an inertial frame.What is the magnitude of the net force on each of the charges?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This may not be a simple question as it looks at first.In fact,it is an MCQ type question with four answers given from where we are to select the correct one.

The answer is zero.
Since the system is in equilibrium,the charges should also be in equilibrium too.
Hence,net force on each charge is to be zero.And that is the answer.

But what about the Coulomb's force and all that?They are there.And here we must assume external forces of equal magnitude acting over the charges in appropriate direction so that no net force acts on the system.

It should not be surprising to assume external forces if we recall the Earnshaw's theorem.

I think my logic is OK.

Please respond and let me know if I am correct.

Physics news on Phys.org

Your logic is correct. In an inertial frame, the net force on each charge must be zero in order for the system to be in equilibrium. This means that there must be external forces acting on the charges to balance out the Coulomb's force between them. This is in accordance with Earnshaw's theorem, which states that a system of point charges cannot be in stable equilibrium solely under the influence of electrostatic forces.

Therefore, the correct answer to the MCQ would be zero. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is the net force on charges in an equilateral triangle system?

The net force on charges in an equilateral triangle system is the sum of all the individual forces acting on each charge. This includes both the magnitude and direction of each force.

2. How is the net force calculated in an equilateral triangle system?

The net force can be calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that the force between two charges is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. Is the net force always zero in an equilateral triangle system?

No, the net force on charges in an equilateral triangle system is not always zero. It depends on the magnitude and location of the charges within the system. If the charges are evenly distributed, the net force will be zero. However, if the charges are not evenly distributed, there will be a non-zero net force.

4. How does the distance between charges affect the net force in an equilateral triangle system?

The distance between charges has a significant impact on the net force in an equilateral triangle system. As the distance between charges increases, the net force decreases. This is because the force between charges is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

5. What is the role of symmetry in determining the net force in an equilateral triangle system?

Symmetry plays a crucial role in determining the net force in an equilateral triangle system. If the charges are evenly distributed and the system is symmetrical, the net force will be zero. However, if the symmetry is broken, the net force will be non-zero and will depend on the location and magnitude of the charges.