vector displacement

by 1PRFall2006
Tags: displacement, vector
1PRFall2006
Sep23-07, 11:32 AM
P: 2
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
A motorist drives south at 28.0 m/s for 3.00 min, then turns west and travels at 25.0 m/s for 2.00 min, and finally travels northwest at 30.0 m/s for 1.00 min. For this 6.00 min trip, find the following values: Total vector displacement, average speed, and average velocity.

2. Relevant equations
dX/dT
dV/dT

3. The attempt at a solution
I can find the average speed and average velocity. I can also get the magnitude of the total vector displacement. The problem I'm having is the angle. I don't even know who to approach this problem to find the angle.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Better thermal-imaging lens from waste sulfur
Hackathon team's GoogolPlex gives Siri extra powers
Bright points in Sun's atmosphere mark patterns deep in its interior
learningphysics
Sep23-07, 02:20 PM
HW Helper
P: 4,125
What is the total vector displacement? How did you find the magnitude?
1PRFall2006
Sep23-07, 03:23 PM
P: 2
all I had to do is add up the magnitudes of the vectors. I don't need the angle to find the magnitude.

learningphysics
Sep23-07, 05:52 PM
HW Helper
P: 4,125

vector displacement

Quote Quote by 1PRFall2006 View Post
all I had to do is add up the magnitudes of the vectors.
That's not right. That gives the total distance travelled... That's not the same as the magnitude of the total displacement...

Suppose I travel 40m east, then 20m west. The total distance travelled is 60m. The displacement is 20m east... ie the magnitude of the total displacement is 20m.

You need to find the total displacement... ie add up the vector displacements... then at the end... find the magnitude of that.

Register to reply